Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aftermarket Trailer Hitch

atstech
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I have a 2019 Rockwood A192HW ***Link Removed***

I'm needing extra space for firewood and stuff. Any recommendations or warnings about having a trailer hitch welded onto the back? I want to use a cargo carrier (this one is atv) ***Link Removed***
6 REPLIES 6

atstech
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your responses. I will not install a hitch.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I'm with them: don't do it. Bad idea. Bad for directional stability (rigs that come with one have been designed to account for it; yours wasn't). And illegal many places to drag firewood around -- there's a fine involved. Much cheaper to buy it locally.

That is a small trailer, lightweight, and it won't have a very high tongue weight to begin with. For every 100 lbs you load on the back bumper, you will probably take 80 lbs or so off the tongue weight. It won't take much at all back there to make the thing wag your tow vehicle like a dog's rear end. Very, very scary to drive, and extremely dangerous.

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
Many states have a firewood quarantine which means you can't bring your own firewood due to transporting invasive pests in the wood.
If allowed, buy your wood at the CG you are going to visit.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
IMO you need more, much more, reading in trailer basics. If you are missing this, your missing bunches.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Yep - don't do it, at the very least you'll excessively unload the trailer's tongue that will only encourage the trailer to sway. :E

What he said.... Your better off trying to get a rack to put on top of it or your tow vehicle.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Yep - don't do it, at the very least you'll excessively unload the trailer's tongue that will only encourage the trailer to sway. :E
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380