cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to jack

ijon1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am going to change all four tires on my Fury 2910 toy hauler. My question is where should I place the jack and jack stands?
16 REPLIES 16

ijon1
Explorer
Explorer
Ha, good one.:)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
hmmm. three different 5th wheel rv trailers...one TT...and maybe 12-13 GN flatedecks.....three cargo trailers and never had a need to jack the whole trailer off the ground. Anywaze.....

I use a shorty hyd jack under the axle tube next to the U bolts when servicing/changing a flat on one wheel. The jack is a truckers special that has a adapter that fits over the top of the jack and cradles the axle tube...no slips in any terrain even with big rigs blasting by at 80 mph.
Std leaf spring suspension axle tubes (1750 lb to 10k lb axles) will not spot crush/dent jacking from a single spot. All this method does is lift one end of the axle.

Now, I have jacked one side from the frame and removed 2 or 3 or 4 wheels on that side depending on tandem/triaxle or tandem duals. If the trailer was long I used two jack next to the farthest spring hangers for a lift on one side. I bent the frame on a fully loaded 40' GN triaxle by lifting from the frame from a single point between the axles while changing a flat tire on the side of the road. Lesson learned. Thats when I found the 12t shorty hyd jack made for jacking from the axle tube.

You need a lot of cribbing to lift all the tires off the surface for removing all the wheels. When its that high be safe and use safety jacks or RR ties placed where they won't roll and drop the trailer. Be safe and don't take chances.

Don't do what my silly bil did and leave the trailer hooked to his truck. After jacking all 4 off the pavement his wife said he was so proud.....until he called me and asked if he could use my truck to run his tires to the tire shop.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ijon1
Explorer
Explorer
lincster wrote:
Blackdiamond wrote:
Drag the trailer to the tire shop and let them deal with it.

No thanks.
The kids as discount started jacking mine up by the middle of the axle.
Then they tried to use the rubber portion of my Dexter kit.
I had to school them on how to lift a heavy, triple axle toy hauler.
Always by the frame is how I lift mine.
With low profile trailer the frame is the place to jack.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Blackdiamond wrote:

No thanks.
The kids as discount started jacking mine up by the middle of the axle.
Then they tried to use the rubber portion of my Dexter kit.
I had to school them on how to lift a heavy, triple axle toy hauler.
Always by the frame is how I lift mine.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
I use my level system to raise one side, put jack stands on each axle at the u-bolt, then put a 20 ton jack on the frame as additional support in case of hydraulic failure. We're full-timers and I change tires by side so this works out great for me. I just take the wheels to a shop and have them mount and balance the new tires
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

ijon1
Explorer
Explorer
Blackdiamond wrote:
Thanks guys.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
twodownzero wrote:
I put the jack directly under the axle.

You can bend the axle that way. Especially if you get away from the wheel.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
If you are lifting by the frame or with hydraylic levelers, do not lift all four wheels off the ground at one time. You could flip the shackles and that is a pain in the %%%%% to fix.

I would not jack a wheel up like in the pictures unless I had a jack with a large enough head to fit over both U bolts or some other type of pad. There is too much weight on a very small area the way the picture shows. I suspect that is why the axle mfg recommends using the frame.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Need to be real careful jacking directly on the axle tube. It can dent/deform fairly easily from the point load.

I use a piece steel angle to protect the axle tube if doing a single tire or one side of trailer when jacking.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Why use a jack? Build a wooden ramp. Loosen lugs, run "good" tire up the ramp. Change the tire. Run "good" tire down the ramp.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I put the jack directly under the axle.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I've only lifted the whole camper a few times (each day for a week while we dealt with frame damage). If I recall, we put jack stands behind the axles and then had the front of the camper supported by the landing gear.

If I recall correctly, put put the jack stands behind the axles and then raised the front of the camper until there was weight on the jack stands.

Then I proceeded to remove each wheel.

To remove a wheel, I'm not lifting the whole camper, I'm just lifting the tire. Rightly or wrongly, I do that by putting a jack on the axle between/next to where the U-Bolts connect to it.

(And yes, I know there's debate over the safety of putting the bottle jack on LynxLevelers like that.)
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page