cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sway bars for Four Winds Majestic 2007

itreeye
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there, I have the 24' Four winds Majestic 2007 Ford E-350 gas chassis.
I'm convinced I need to get sway bars, but there are just so many and I am confused about which to get.
I'm hoping someone here will have some advice.
Thanks for any thoughts.
8 REPLIES 8

cdl2
Explorer
Explorer
I put coil over shocks on the rear of an older class C
It was amazing how it handled after that!!!

txnese
Explorer
Explorer
I installed Bilsteins HD shocks and Hellwig sway bars on my 2004 Four Winds 5000, F450 chassis. Tremendous difference in drive handling.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
itreeye wrote:
Thank you Ron.
You are very welcome!

itreeye
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Ron.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2007 Phoenix Cruiser is built on a 2007 Ford E350 chassis, so I am extremely familiar with your situation.

The 2007 (and older) E350 chassis purchased by the RV manufacture, direct from Ford, did not include a rear stabilizer bar. If you have one, it was added later, either by the RV manufacture or the previous owner.

Your chassis has a front stabilizer bar, but it truly is an inferior design as well as inferior for the heavy duty motor home application. Ford wised up and redesigned the front stabilizer in 2008 which is still installed in a 2019 model today. If you look at the two ends of your front bar, you will see they pass through rubber grommets located in the lower control arms. The grommets wear very quickly which causes play that cannot be adjusted to be eliminated. You just live with the play which gets worse & worse, which renders the bar less effective. Adding fuel to the fire, the thickness of the front bar is designed for an E150 van, not an E350 motor home. It is too weak of a bar to keep a motor home stable.

So....

Going with Helwig bars is a good choice for affordability without compromising the heavy duty bar thickness & hardness rating. They are spec'd the same as the Roadmaster brand, but at a fraction of the price. To be clear about it, both front and rear Helwig and Roadmaster bars come with polymer mounts and bushing end-links that can be tightened as they wear.

I need to add that you may want to consider heavy duty shock absorbers. I "LOVE" the heavy duty Bilstein shocks which is explained in my write up with pictures HERE.

Everything I am saying here was done to our rig and it handles very nicely, though ours has the Roadmaster brand stabilizer bars. We did also replace the front steering stabilizer with a heavy duty Safe-T-Plus brand, and added a rear trac bar. You can't go wrong if all you do is install heavy duty front and rear stabilizer bars and heavy duty Bilstein shock absorbers. If you are a decent shade tree mechanic, you can install the bars and shocks yourself. Many forum members have. I would have done so myself back in 2007 had I been educated about all this back then.

Ron Dittmer

itreeye
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much guys! I've found the parts now on hellwig website. Need to work out bushings (starting with what they are!)

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the forum,being you are new and own a former rental, you may not have seen the Rental Thread there is a lot of good information there.

I went thru it and found that Hellwig seemed to be the one most talked about.Here is one of the quotes from a Majestic owner.

TRM1 wrote:
This thread helped tremendously,

My primary focus so far has been suspension. We've installed Bilstein HD shocks and steering stabilizer and have Hellwig front and rear sways coming. My wife and girls don't like the rocking motion so I'm doing my best to eliminate it. Bushings on the sways are perished, so looking forward to an immediate improvement. Just the Bilsteins made a huge difference, and if you haven't replaced your steering damper, you should. When we took the stock one off it clearly had no damping left in either direction. I drove the same bumpy road before and after and 80% of the deflection and bump steer are gone. The rest I attribute to a front sway bar that isn't even connected with the I beam at this point.

If you have any questions just ask I and many others may be able to help. Join in and tell us about that Former Rental.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hellwig and Roadmaster both work well .
I would install urethane bushings if you choose the Hellwigs, so add those to the cost and compare.
Make sure both companies have a fit for your chassis and make sure you do not any aftermarket equipment that might interfere with the install.
Example: I added a rear track bar and air bags to my rig and i'm not sure if a new set of bars would interfere with an install or not.