cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Martingale Collar Danger

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I've always liked martingale collars - they can snug up enough that a dog can't slip out; but when adjusted properly, they can't truly choke the dog.

However - we just had a scary situation: Augie the Aussie puppy (a boisterous 12 week old) managed to get his lower jaw through the tightening loop on Ben's martingale collar as they wrestled, then panicked and flipped himself on his back, effectively putting a tourniquet on his jaw and making Ben's collar tighten to the point it couldn't be removed. BOTH dogs were shrieking, Ed grabbed Augie to stop his struggling; and once I saw that there was no resolution, I grabbed the kitchen shears and cut the collar off Ben. Once loose, we untangled it from Augie's jaw - it shattered a puppy tooth and was covered in blood....

Maybe this will stop the "I'm going to kill you" dog games (Augie, for the moment, is now convinced that Ben is "mean") - but until Augie settles down a bit, I'm going to put a regular collar on Ben.

Just passing this along so it doesn't happen to another dog as they play with a buddy.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!
15 REPLIES 15

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
dturm wrote:
wowens79 wrote:
Our dog I guess was resting her head on some wooden patio furniture, and her dog tag went between the slats, and then turned and would not come out and was stuck.

We had a rule in our hospital that all collars had to be removed before the animals were put in cages for that exact reason.

Sad, but we would see animals hung (hanged ??) by their collars. Fortunately it was infrequent.

Doug, DVM

That's something I always look for at a boarding kennel - do they remove the collars. If not, then I find another kennel.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might try a harness for them while at home. One that doesn't loop around the neck. At least until Sasha gets microchipped.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Well it happened to Sawyer 1 year and Sasha 4 months tonight. Sasha's collar was loose enough Sawyer got his bottom two K-9's under the collar and could not get them out. Scared the Collies and me. I would go without collars but if Sasha got out without identification could be bad as well. Vet wanted to wait until being spayed to insert microchip because of size of needle.

Both Collies are fine but playtime is over for today.

dturm
wowens79 wrote:
Our dog I guess was resting her head on some wooden patio furniture, and her dog tag went between the slats, and then turned and would not come out and was stuck.

We had a rule in our hospital that all collars had to be removed before the animals were put in cages for that exact reason.

Sad, but we would see animals hung (hanged ??) by their collars. Fortunately it was infrequent.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 ~~ and so the rest of the story ........

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad your dogs are ok! The martingale collars are far better than a choker collar but they are a training collar. They should not be left on at all times. When I put on my dogs martingale style collar he knows that play time is over and I'm in charge. When it's off...it's playtime.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry to hear this. Good thing you were there. I didn't know what a Martingale collar was so I looked it up. Poor puppies, both of them and you! What a scare. For us, because we have a dog door, no collars are worn at home, or in our RV when we are on the road. In the past, they've gotten their collars caught on floor heating vents and on the inside of the dog door.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Collars - yeeesh. I've seen dogs killed by collars that fit too well (hunting dog who was hung to death on a picket gate) or too loose (sheltie who was hit and killed after slipping out of its collar being dragged to the groomer) - and I've known the terror of a loose/scared/running dog with NO collar....

I looked into breakaway collars, but they can separate when you are grabbing the dog to hold it back from whatever. Granted, Ben is only 20 lbs and ridiculously obedient (has a heel and recall the obedience folks would kill for...LOL!) - but there's always that ONE time you don't anticipate, and you need to be able to control your dog.... so I guess I'll stay with a conventional collar, and try to tone down the roughhousing (which actually isn't all that rough since both dogs are basically wimps)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
The Collies play all day. The 3 month old has found a way out of the fence one time. She did not go anywhere because her cohort could not get out. She stayed next to the fence by Sawyer. Neighbor spotted her and put her back in the fenced yard. I hope in the next month her size will prevent any possibility of this reoccurring. I went around the fence and blocked any possible escape route I could find.

Most of the time when I go somewhere they go with me in the truck. A quick run to the store was the exception. I don't crate they have a dog door where they can go in and out of the house when they wish. They know when they need to potty not I.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Thanks for the warning very poignant right now with a 9 month and 3 month old Collies. They grap each others collars in their mouth and pull. I will pass this on to Collie rescue as well. Will go out tomorrow and purchase conventional collars.

Would hate to think what would have happened if you weren't home when this occurred.

It DOES reinforce that we put Augie in his crate if we aren't home - I don't want any unsupervised "play". I noticed this morning that Ben has blood in the whites of his eyeballs - although both dogs seem none the worse for the trauma.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with ToadToes--it's not just martingales. Any collar is a danger when two or more dogs are jaw jousting. When I have multiple dogs in residence they never, ever wear collars while in the house or playing in the (securely fenced) back yard. I'm much more concerned about a caught jaw than I am about one of them getting loose w/o visible ID. I'm so glad everything turned out okay!
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
The only collar for a dog to have is the kind that have a plastic quick release connector. Any other collar is for direct supervision while walking, etc. Dogs that wrestle each other are better off with no collar during play.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unfortunately, every collar can become dangerous when dogs do their thing.

We had a dog get his collar caught on an outside tap handle. Luckily my mom was home and heard his crying out. He had twisted when it got caught and was choking him.

I'm glad Augie and Ben are OK!