cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

In-Coil Airbags

TWZMYJP
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize in advance for the long-winded question...

Looking for feedback from anyone that has run the in-coil style supplemental airbags, such as the Load Lifter 1000 series from Air Lift. I recently installed a set on the rear of my 2019 Ram 1500 pickup, and I'm not getting any actual leveling capacity out of them? The truck sags just as much with the bags as it did without them? They are supposedly rated at 2,100lbs of capacity at 50psi, so I would certainly expect them to handle the ~650lbs of tongue weight from my trailer, but they just don't seem to do anything in the way of leveling at all?

With all of that said, I was reading some information on the Air Lift website about how these types of air bags actually function, and it sounds as if they are intended to balloon out between the coil windings and physically prevent the spring from compressing. This leads me to believe that the bags need to be inflated PRIOR to loading? I'm not seeing that written anywhere, and in fact the user manual states "...when increasing load, adjust air pressure to maintain normal ride height..."

So here is the question: for those of you running this type of airbag, are you filling them up before loading?
'18 Jayco Alante 31R
10 REPLIES 10

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Agreed, but in order for the bags to do their job, they will raise the truck, when empty, to provide resistance when loaded.
Just sounds like the bags are too short and/or too skinny.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TWZMYJP
Explorer
Explorer
I guess to clarify, I'm not looking for them to lift the truck either. I want them to keep the truck level the truck when a load is applied... So the "lift" I'm referring to would be to lift the truck back up to level after it has sagged down from the load. Sorry for any confusion there.
'18 Jayco Alante 31R

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
I have them on my 2017 Ram Eco Diesel. I did not install them for lift. My truck had a bit of roll with the trailer hooked up and after I installed the bags the roll pretty much went away. The bags are also good to alleviate bottoming out of the suspension when the bed is loaded. I do run my 1000# bags ~30# almost all of the time. I never expected, or wanted, any lift I just wanted to stiffen the suspension a bit.
Back in the day we used to install air shocks if we wanted an inch or three of lift.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My bags work great to level my rig 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Go back to the installer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TWZMYJP
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm... They did include a plastic puck and it is installed per the directions. They refer to it as an "air spring protector", and it simply sits above the airbag and engages the flange around the upper coil spring bucket to keep the airbag from squirting up through the bucket.
'18 Jayco Alante 31R

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
There should be no vertical free-play unloaded/deflated. The include some plastic "pucks" to take up the space. With too much slack, they'll build pressure without support weight. They need to be compressed when deflated to really work imo.

FWIW - I can lift my front end about 1.5" with them. My unloaded front axle weight is 3,500 pound and 5,000 pounds with a full load, so that's probably even more than your rear axle.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

TWZMYJP
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback so far. I have tested them several times and they inflate and hold 50psi just fine, no leaks. They are snug in the coils, so I'm relatively confident the diameter is correct. With that said, there is about 3/8" of vertical free play in them with the truck unloaded at ride height?

Several rounds of testing with various weights, and empty, have confirmed there is never any gain in height when adding air pressure. To that point, as I mentioned before, the truck will sag about 1/2" with 140lbs of water softener salt in the bed with the bags at 50spi??
'18 Jayco Alante 31R

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
They work for me. I have them them in the front coils, and the van goes up and down when they are inflated with a load. I generally fill them up after loading, but sometimes I leave them inflated between loads and it doesn't make a difference that I can tell. Beware that adding the load after initial inflation will make psi go up. So don't start at 50 psi. Maybe start at 25 psi, add the hitch weight, then check the current pressure.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

brant_c
Explorer
Explorer
Try inflating the air bags without load. You should feel or see the truck raise when inflating.

If that does not work then check for leaks.
2015 F250 Platinum 6.7
2006 RPM 23FB Toy Hauler

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You're correct on how they work. Does not make sense that this did not work. Are you certain the bags are large enough diameter?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold