cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Costs of things

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
During our 40 years of camping; recently in a used 30 ft. Class C, we have always been cost conscious about everything from the purchase price of the RV to campground fees. But after totaling up the massive amount of money we've spent on this 15 year old MH over 7 years just on repairs, etc.(actually the depreciation on it isn't too bad) I think we need to put some costs in perspective. For example whether we pay $15 or $35 for a night or spend an extra $100 on gas it's all peanuts compared to all the costs of the motor home. Next time someone tells you how cheap they can travel in an RV, tell them to add in all the cost referred to above.
Jayco-noslide
39 REPLIES 39

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Your welcome. I see some interesting RV's around, one of my fav's is a locomotive. Also saw a space shuttle bus conversion.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
jjrbus wrote:
I don't see anything on the market today that is compact, good on fuel and decent price, that I would be happy with.

Now a heli home would be right up my alley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJRlQrN8RAY
Thanks for posting this, I worked at Sikorsky for 30 years and the S-58T was one of my first jobs there, but I never knew Winnebago made a flying camper out of it. However it was quite a bit more expensive than Ron's camper. What I always thought would make a nice light camper was to use the airframe structure from the nose to the end of the cabin(minus the tail cone), and install wheels and an engine. There are a lot of old airframes that are no longer flight worthy but would be fine for the road.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see anything on the market today that is compact, good on fuel and decent price, that I would be happy with.

Now a heli home would be right up my alley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJRlQrN8RAY

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Gjac wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
jjrbus wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
jjrbus wrote:
docsouce wrote:
...this years average was 8.0 mpg as usual...Oh,we have a smaller class C. Thor Freedom Elite 22e E350 Triton V10 and there are just 2 of us.
I have been looking at newer small Class B+ with the V10. But 8 mpg, ouch!
We own a 2007 E350-V10 Phoenix Cruiser 2350 SEEN HERE. When not towing our Jeep Liberty, our "truely accurate" trip average is 10.5 mpg. That is significantly better than 8 mpg.

Aerodynamics and cruising-speed seem to be most influential. The difference in fuel economy between Phoenix Cruisers, the shortest 21 foot model to the longest 31 foot model is different, but less dramatic than taller boxy conventional class_c's. With our rig traveling across the country, our practiced top speed hovers around 67-68 mph. A tall boxy "C" would go through gas a lot faster at those speeds.

Towing our Jeep Liberty, our fuel economy drops by 1.3 mpg. But the fuel loss is more than recovered by driving the Liberty around at our destinations, and leaving the motor home at the camp site. So it's a win-win.
Nice camper and thanks for the response! I try not to pay attention to my mpg, if I actually knew what it is I would probably not drive it. That cheap thing. But left Florida and noticed that I was filling up far too often even with a small tank. Something was definitely off, so I checked my MPG.

I was getting 10mpg, did a few things and now the little Toyota is back up in the 13+ area. Most toy owners report avg between 12 and 14.
Thank You!

We owned THIS TOYOTA MIRAGE for 24 years. It had the 2.4L-L4 carbureted engine rated at 96hp (with CA emissions) with a close ratio 4-speed manual transmission. Oh my what a slug it was, but we loved it anyway. We special ordered it new in 1983 with no a/c of either kind and a frill-free chassis that did not even have power steering. We paid $12,255 for it back then. 57 mph was the sweet spot for optimal fuel economy. On one extended trip out west we actually broke 20 mpg averaged across the entire 6000 mile trip. We must have experienced more tail winds on that trip. It had a very small fuel tank. We quickly learned that we did not make time going faster because the fuel economy would drop by more than 25% when we pushed it. The time we made in speed, we lost in stopping more frequently.

We sold that rig in 2007, replacing it with our special ordered 2007 Phoenix Cruiser. We wanted (and needed) a fully self contained and much more comfortable motor home in our later years.

Ron,that Toyota Mirage is an interesting MH, looks like more room than a small TC but much better MPG. Is there anything equivalent today?

I know you asked Ron, but FWIW I thought I'd jump in with my opinion on the closest today - a new small Tiger motorhome ... in which you specify to them that it be built on the smallest standard cab (for the short length) PU possible with the smallest engine (for the best fuel mileage) available in that pickup.

Here's the Tiger website: http://www.tigervehicles.com/
The Tiger is small, but our old Mirage was smaller yet. I measured the over-all length at 17.5 feet, front bumper to the end of the rear step bumper. It really was tiny. Lengthwise, it easily fit into any automobile parking space. The Toyota pick-up truck chassis made it easy to get in and out from because it was skinny there, providing good door swing clearance to adjacent parked cars. The entire rig weighed only 3600 pounds, 2500 for the C&C, and 1100 for the seamless RV body. The shell walls had a honey-comb core with a thicker outer layer fiberglass, and a thinner inner layer fiberglass. The front cab-over bucket was of the outer layer alone.

Mirage was in business from 1978 to 1986. In 1984, they introduced a fully self contained model. The swing-up rear door/wall was replaced with a protruding bucket that was the bathroom. The entry door was moved to the side. I don't know what the cost of that deluxe model was, but our frill-free appliance-free model was right for us for a very long time. We had an ice box for a fridge, and a camp stove for cooking. Though a port-a-potty was offered for our model, we opted-out and built in it's place, an additional cabinet with more counter space. We considered it "luxury tent camping".

As great as it was for so long a time, in our later years it wasn't meeting the minimum any longer. We wanted a real motor home. Our Mirage replacement had to meet these minimum requirements.
1) No Compromise, it must fit inside our garage
2) No Compromise, it must have a full-time dinette
3) No Compromise, it must have a full-time double bed on the main floor
4) No Compromise, it must have all the basic features of a typical motor home with a fully functional kitchen and bath, and with heat and a/c.

Early in our search, we considered a Winnebago Rialta with the 22FD (standard) floorplan but they had been recently discontinued and the few like-new used ones we found were a lot of money. We added $12,000 more and bought something a whole lot better for us.

Our Phoenix Cruiser 2350 HERE greatly exceeded all our expectations. Again, it was the smallest rig we could find, yet meet our adjusted requirements.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gjac wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
jjrbus wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
jjrbus wrote:
docsouce wrote:
...this years average was 8.0 mpg as usual...Oh,we have a smaller class C. Thor Freedom Elite 22e E350 Triton V10 and there are just 2 of us.
We own a 2007 E350-V10 Phoenix Cruiser 2350 SEEN HERE. When not towing our Jeep Liberty, our "truely accurate" trip average is 10.5 mpg. That is significantly better than 8 mpg.

Aerodynamics and cruising-speed seem to be most influential. The difference in fuel economy between Phoenix Cruisers, the shortest 21 foot model to the longest 31 foot model is different, but less dramatic than taller boxy conventional class_c's. With our rig traveling across the country, our practiced top speed hovers around 67-68 mph. A tall boxy "C" would go through gas a lot faster at those speeds.

Towing our Jeep Liberty, our fuel economy drops by 1.3 mpg. But the fuel loss is more than recovered by driving the Liberty around at our destinations, and leaving the motor home at the camp site. So it's a win-win.
Nice camper and thanks for the response! I try not to pay attention to my mpg, if I actually knew what it is I would probably not drive it. That cheap thing. But left Florida and noticed that I was filling up far too often even with a small tank. Something was definitely off, so I checked my MPG.

I was getting 10mpg, did a few things and now the little Toyota is back up in the 13+ area. Most toy owners report avg between 12 and 14.
Thank You!

We owned THIS TOYOTA MIRAGE for 24 years. It had the 2.4L-L4 carbureted engine rated at 96hp (with CA emissions) with a close ratio 4-speed manual transmission. Oh my what a slug it was, but we loved it anyway. We special ordered it new in 1983 with no a/c of either kind and a frill-free chassis that did not even have power steering. We paid $12,255 for it back then. 57 mph was the sweet spot for optimal fuel economy. On one extended trip out west we actually broke 20 mpg averaged across the entire 6000 mile trip. We must have experienced more tail winds on that trip. It had a very small fuel tank. We quickly learned that we did not make time going faster because the fuel economy would drop by more than 25% when we pushed it. The time we made in speed, we lost in stopping more frequently.

We sold that rig in 2007, replacing it with our special ordered 2007 Phoenix Cruiser. We wanted (and needed) a fully self contained and much more comfortable motor home in our later years.

Ron,that Toyota Mirage is an interesting MH, looks like more room than a small TC but much better MPG. Is there anything equivalent today?

I know you asked Ron, but FWIW I thought I'd jump in with my opinion on the closest today - a new small Tiger motorhome ... in which you specify to them that it be built on the smallest standard cab (for the short length) PU possible with the smallest engine (for the best fuel mileage) available in that pickup.

Here's the Tiger website: http://www.tigervehicles.com/
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Jayco-noslide wrote:
I wasn't trying to make much of a point but mainly just sharing my observations. I do think it's misguided when folks talk about one motor home getting better mileage than another. The cost of fuel, even at 9 MPG, say compared to 14 MPG is negligible in the overall issue of total costs. this thinking helps me accept the $70 I might spend on a fill.

Correct and the cost of campsites are negligible as well. If your a full timer I understand cost add up.
But if you are a weekend warrior. Does it really matter?
If site is $75.00 or 50.00 or even $100.00

I'm already committed to RV ownership, If save $50.00 on the site is negligible.
Between truck and trailer there is a lot of money tied up. The cost of fuel and camp sites is negligible
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn't trying to make much of a point but mainly just sharing my observations. I do think it's misguided when folks talk about one motor home getting better mileage than another. The cost of fuel, even at 9 MPG, say compared to 14 MPG is negligible in the overall issue of total costs. this thinking helps me accept the $70 I might spend on a fill.
Jayco-noslide

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
ron.dittmer wrote:
jjrbus wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
jjrbus wrote:
docsouce wrote:

Thank You!

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
jjrbus wrote:
ron.dittmer wrote:
jjrbus wrote:
docsouce wrote:

Thank You!

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
jjrbus wrote:
docsouce wrote:

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
That house part, sold my house, built a bus conversion and full timed for 10 years. Decided to sell the RV and buy a house in Florida. This was at the height of the housing bubble. What I wanted I could not afford, what I could afford I did not want!

Fortunately the bubble burst and I could buy something reasonable, cheap actually. But if I decided to run away again, I would definitely keep the house. Lesson learned.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
This "cost" thing really depends on how you use your RV. To some it's a few weekends a year and for that the cost of the RV amortized over the time you use it is pretty high. But the reward could be priceless. On the other end of the spectrum there are those who full time and for those people the cost amortized over use is pretty low. And depending on what sort of RV you have vs the kind of house you might own it could be a much better deal in an RV. It also depends a lot on where you go, how much you drive, where you stay etc. Too many variables to generalize RV'ing to be classified loosely as cost effective or not. There is an opposing scenario for every one you can mention to try and prove your perspective. Everything costs money. Houses, cars, vacations, RV's, boats etc. Pick your poison. Live within your means and do what makes you happy. When we first started Rv'ing we bought a class A. Our son was still young then and we enjoyed trips immensely despite knowing it cost us a lot of money and we used it less than we wanted. Fast forward, our son is about to graduate and we've always talked of touring the US so we are considering selling the house and full timing. Two very different scenarios and budgets and I would argue that living full time in an RV will be much less expensive than the beach house we live in now - all things considered.

Most people tout houses as a good investment, but are they? We sold our house in MD a few years ago. We lived in it for 12 years. We sold for $100k more than we built it for and thus made $100k profit . Or did we? When you account for taxes, improvements, interest etc, turns out we didn't make any money at all. Never mind the cost of utilities and everything involved into running a household. Cost of ownership for a house can often exceed the equity gained. Heck, you'd be better off renting in a lot cases. Everything is relative. RV's are no exception.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know of a better way to travel. I have a 23u thor, small, tow a jeep from time to time, carry a street legal dirt bike on back of that. Been a lot of places, ridden a lot of trails, sometimes with friends, sometimes just us. Beats hotels for sure. (Hotels creep me out) We usually dry camp when we can. We have solar, 200 watts.

Frankly, the solitude and anticipation of upcoming trips motivate me to make more money to pay for it all. I have no regrets. Maybe one, but situational. Wish I downsized to the class c earlier.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
jjrbus wrote:
docsouce wrote: