cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running generator on a hill

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I need to run my generator for a few days and am parked on a hill (using as backup power for our house). Should I be nose up or nose down to maximize the amount of fuel I can pull from the tank with the pickup?

It's a 2004 Ford e450 with 55 gallon tank.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v
15 REPLIES 15

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Correct! We've enjoyed every minute of ownership too.

It no longer looks this pretty:

but it still works as well today as it did then.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
BruceMc wrote:
"It's a 2004 Ford e450 with 55 gallon tank"

On our 1999 E350 (2000 Four Winds), which has the same fuel system as a 450 (I'd suspect), the pickup is pretty much centered in the tank:

Maybe slightly forward:

These images are from my fuel pump replacement project in January 2013:
E350 Fuel pump replacement

Side note - is that a BX1850? If so I had the same tractor. Loved that thing!
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I talked to a guy once that had to replace the fuel pump that's in the tank. Their bed was right above the tank, so he used a large enough hole saw and drilled threw the mh floor and replaced the pump without removing the tank.

Dusty

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oh, and one more point: You cannot pull fuel from the generator pickup once the tank is at 1/4. Note the shorter pipe on the left side of the pump/sender assembly:

And a side comment: to those folks who argue about keeping a full tank in winter to keep the tank from rusting, I learned two things when I undertook this project:
1) The tank and associated bits are all stainless - there's nothing to rust.
2) A full tank is about 4ish inches below the top of the tank due to the design of the fill tube. The tank must have head space for expansion.

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
"It's a 2004 Ford e450 with 55 gallon tank"

On our 1999 E350 (2000 Four Winds), which has the same fuel system as a 450 (I'd suspect), the pickup is pretty much centered in the tank:

Maybe slightly forward:

These images are from my fuel pump replacement project in January 2013:
E350 Fuel pump replacement

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Home Skillet wrote:
The generator fuel pick up is about 3" off the bottom of the tank.

It is oriented towards the front.

Cool, thanks! So I guessed right with nose down lol.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I'm unlevel enough that I would not run the fridge. I cannot find any reference from Onan regarding a max amount of unlevel. I'm nose down at the moment, running fine so far. (20 hours and rising).
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
The generator fuel pick up is about 3" off the bottom of the tank.

It is oriented towards the front.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've got the same year unit and pickup is top center on the rear tank. As mentioned, reasonably level for comfort as well as proper oil circulation within the generator. Gas will get to the unit in either case unless you're talking about a serious downhill/uphill location. Use your leveling blocks and/or improvise some boards to keep it semi-level just to avoid a costly mistake. I park on farms and beaches and always try to get it as level as possible since I run the generator all night when needed.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe google your vehicles tank?
Proud father of a US Marine

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It depens where the pickup is in the tank, and that I don't know offhand. I would guess it's probably reasonably close to being centered in the tank, so it shouldn't make a whole lot of difference nose up vs. nose down; in any case, 40+/- gallons is a good bit and should mean a few days of continuous runtime before needing to get more fuel.

Being not too extremely out of level is a very good idea for the generator's happiness. It's not at all necessary to be super precise, breaking out the plumb bob and machinist's level, but if it feels unnatural to walk around in the RV it might be wise to get it somewhat closer to level.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Where is the pickup located in the tank? If it's towards the front, nose up would further reduce the level at the pickup resulting in premature sucking of air. So, you need to know where the pickup is coming from and use that as you guide. But as others mentioned, how will the angle effect your oil?
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Isnโ€™t this a question about removing fuel from a Ford on unlevel ground?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Seeing as the oil may be a "splash" system I'd want to be level.

At least eyeball level.
I really don't know the 100% answer but I would agree with being as close to level as possible, especially long term running. I guess its also possible to run out of gas sooner if the rv gas tank is off level.