Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: replacement for Directv
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> replacement for Directv

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/19 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

bgum wrote:

When AT&T ends SD there will be a mad rush to Dish.
To continue watching SD?

Dish has no SD only receivers and all Dish antennas and LNB's are HD capable.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

bgum wrote:

To continue watching SD?

There is full HD with DISH and most any antenna. What are you referring to?

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

Bill,

Interesting. I guess I assumed, since the DISH Playmaker Bundle with Wally provides HD that the DTV auto antennas did the same.

Have you ever tried the single/triple LNB on one of the old 18" X 20" antennas? Any chance it would receive 99,101&103?

I fully agree satellite TV is on it's way out, but for residential use I'm not so sure the new OTA ATSC 3.0 may be the future.

No, never tried. Not sure why someone would but I would guess it will not work.

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

There isn't any really well done integrated OTA DVR that does this well other than TIVO and you PAY for that privilege!
Channel Master has an OTA DVR for $129 that looks promising. No subscription needed:

Channel Master Stream+ OTA DVR

Microsoft had an excellent DVR feature which was included with Windows called "Windows Media Center". That feature is no longer included in Windows 10. I'm still using Media Center with Windows 7 and SiliconDust HDHomeRun tuners. It presently downloads a program guide, but that will end at the end of the year.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/19 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

2oldman wrote:

bgum wrote:

To continue watching SD?

There is full HD with DISH and most any antenna. What are you referring to?
I'm referring to the post I quoted. I don't understand what he means.

* This post was edited 10/28/19 11:01am by 2oldman *

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I mean is there is a lot of people who simply have not switched from DT to Dish and re done their antenna due to laziness. We currently use 2 had boxes and one Ed in our house. We carry the SD box in our TT with a Carryout dish. If and when I red to change boxes and move switches on the Carryout I plan to change All my boxes to Dish for HD.
And there is a lot of people like me or those who wish cut the cord the stream.

edatlanta

Maplesville, AL - Home Base

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My DTV Slimline Dish on a tripod still works great and I plan to continue with it. Dish might get my attention at some point, but DNS is the deal breaker for me. I like having my network programs on a known channel. I could care less from where the channel comes since I'm not interested in local news.

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

edatlanta wrote:

My DTV Slimline Dish on a tripod still works great and I plan to continue with it. Dish might get my attention at some point, but DNS is the deal breaker for me. I like having my network programs on a known channel. I could care less from where the channel comes since I'm not interested in local news.

I've had both DirecTV and DishTV at home and currently use Dish. DirecTV is said to have more powerful satellites, but a good alignment on the dish makes that a moot point. One thing I like about Dish is their Sling option which is what I use in my RV. As long as I have a pretty good cell connection I can stream all of the channels from the home Dish receiver to my RV and no additional cost. In the RV I've got a Mobley from AT&T that I'm grandfathered in on a $20/mo unlimited data plan. Spent the whole summer in Alaska near an AT&T tower steaming movies and my local channels from Texas. The only problem with this setup is when I camp in area where there isn't any good cell coverage, but in those places I'm usually not watching TV anyway.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom_M wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

There isn't any really well done integrated OTA DVR that does this well other than TIVO and you PAY for that privilege!
Channel Master has an OTA DVR for $129 that looks promising. No subscription needed:

Channel Master Stream+ OTA DVR

Microsoft had an excellent DVR feature which was included with Windows called "Windows Media Center". That feature is no longer included in Windows 10. I'm still using Media Center with Windows 7 and SiliconDust HDHomeRun tuners. It presently downloads a program guide, but that will end at the end of the year.

[emoticon]

CM, yeah, strictly OVER THE AIR, sure it lets you mindlessly record the big threes junk programming so you can endlessly replay dumb folks getting "voted" of the island.. Or folks with very little talent sing and dance over and over..

Movies?

Yeah, the big three haven't played box office movies for years..

Sports?

Yeah, most sports has been moved off the big three MAIN channels which are OTA in favor of their own CABLE ONLY channels.

Special interest? (Home improvement (not Tim Allen), gardening, DIY) nope, not available via OTA!

"B" rated movies?

NOPE, not OTA..

Gomer Pyle, Gilligans Island.. YEP, you can endlessly record those but in reality, just how many times CAN you stand repeating those?

W Media center, yeah, pretty much way of the DoDo, another 100% abandoned MS software product..

Silicon Dust, yep, nothing like repeating the CM..

Then there is the streaming stuff via Internet.. Most if not all streamed content IS copy protected.. Not to mention availability of content is not 100% assured it will be available (constantly is changed, removed) and if you don't mind waiting 1, 2 or more years you might be able to find your show to watch.. However, much will never hit the streaming channels due to contractual arrangements.

Pretty much you will lose some if not most content that is currently available via cable or sat.

So, if you are content with medium to poor half baked leftover reality shows and sometimes the badly done restart shows from 20 yrs, no blockbuster movies, very few sports and no DIY special interest before recording OTA channels is a worthless venture.

I do predict that in the next 20 yrs, it most likely will be down to one Sat provider, lately Dish has reported a pretty decent increase in Sat systems due to ATTs dumb moves (why did a "telecom" company ever decide that Sat programming would be a good fit???)..

But, you will still have a lot of cable Cos still actively operating delivering video, phone and Internet services..

Just remember though, the moment ONE of these services dies off, your cost won't go down, it will go UP..

So, cheer for the death of Sat and cable providers and you will ultimately pay a higher price for alternate ways to get that content!

Have seen it and done it.. I miss my old "C" band dish, paid $30 per month with East and West coast feeds and had all of the HBO/Cinmax plus East and West feeds.

Now, I pay $100 per month but no East and West feeds and no HBO/Max..

Progress [emoticon]

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

I’ve had both and DISH is WAY more RV friendly. You can reauthorize your sat box with your smartphone. DISH doesn’t care if you change locals everyday.

I bought a carryout auto seek dome Winegard Pathway X2. It does HD.

You can’t use a Hopper but the Wally is ok. You can add a USB drive to use DVR feature, no monthly fee. Just a one time $40 DVR fee.

Way better tech support than DTV.

Depending on your setup, you can actually use a hopper in a RV. We carry our home hopper 3 with us on our travels and enjoy the same programming on the road that we get at home, changing the locals as we go an all the recorded stuff as well.

It does not work with all antennas though.

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> replacement for Directv
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS