Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: replacement for Directv
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> replacement for Directv

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know there have been endless discussions on Directv vs. Dish on this forum. I'm interested in the latest update.

I personally use Directv at home and will transfer one of my receivers to the 5th wheel when traveling. Only needing standard definition, I've carried an 18" round dish for years, and when unable to aim at a satellite, I enjoyed the recorded programs on the DVR.

Well, now it's getting close to Directv's ending of the broadcast of SD signals, so what's my best/cheapest solution? Get one of the Directv self aiming cube type antennas that will receive HD signals, or look at a Dish system that can be dedicated to the 5th wheel, and only activated for one month periods when needed?

Any suggestions appreciated.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Switch to Dish. Will work the same as now except you will have a different dish and get HD.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

switch to dish!!!!!

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back when we needed a Satellite provider, I checked both providers. Direct seemed to have little or nointrest or provision for those of us without a fixed site, while Dish was glad to have our business, and several provisions for travlers and our special needs. That is why I chose Dish and have enjoied their service. The customer service and support has always seemed interested in finding solutions, and have been easy to work with.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have two different problems that might require two different solutions.

At home, if you have good internet speed, you really should try one of the "streaming" services. They could even save you some money. Most allow you to buy your own "tuner box" (Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV). So you only have a "one time purchase" (between $30 and $150 per TV). You can easily move the device from your house to the RV.

Your choice of services includes Hulu, Sling, PS Vue, AT&T TV, YouTube TV, Fubo, Philo and I am sure more. This are almost all "no contract", "pay as you go" and include some "cloud based" DVR storage. From about $50-$200 month. Channel selection differs greatly. They do limit the number of simultaneous viewer (2-5). You have to do your homework on this.

As I said, these all require a good internet connection. Most campgrounds do NOT have "good internet" and if you boondock, you need another solution. As long as you don't camp to far "off the grid" and can get an AT&T cell phone signal (4G preferred, but I think 3G is adequate for SD TV), then you could use AT&T AT&T ToGo Roadlink. $400 for the device and $360/year for unlimited data. Actually, there is no reason you can not use that as your home internet.

More on AT&T ToGo Roadlink This talks about successful RV installations and use with internet streaming TV.

dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

You have two different problems that might require two different solutions.

At home, if you have good internet speed, you really should try one of the "streaming" services. They could even save you some money. Most allow you to buy your own "tuner box" (Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV). So you only have a "one time purchase" (between $30 and $150 per TV). You can easily move the device from your house to the RV.

Your choice of services includes Hulu, Sling, PS Vue, AT&T TV, YouTube TV, Fubo, Philo and I am sure more. This are almost all "no contract", "pay as you go" and include some "cloud based" DVR storage. From about $50-$200 month. Channel selection differs greatly. They do limit the number of simultaneous viewer (2-5). You have to do your homework on this.

As I said, these all require a good internet connection. Most campgrounds do NOT have "good internet" and if you boondock, you need another solution. As long as you don't camp to far "off the grid" and can get an AT&T cell phone signal (4G preferred, but I think 3G is adequate for SD TV), then you could use AT&T AT&T ToGo Roadlink. $400 for the device and $360/year for unlimited data. Actually, there is no reason you can not use that as your home internet.

More on AT&T ToGo Roadlink This talks about successful RV installations and use with internet streaming TV.

Interesting you should mention streaming services. While I have no interest in these for RV applications, I am currently playing with Hulu at home. I have relatively high bandwidth and having no problem on that end, but I find for my needs there are some features that are lacking.

Available content is fine but some of the user interface abilities vs. Directv (and probably Dish)are just not there. Hopefully these can be fixed in the near term and I can cut the cord and save some money.

For the trailer I don't want to have to depend in an internet connection. Also, I enjoy loading up the DVR with programs for when we are in an area where satellite (or internet) is not available.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"so what's my best/cheapest solution?" Well, if you want the most "direct" (pun intended) answer, cancel everything and just use your over-the-air antenna. Well? you asked...

When Direct TV and then later DishTV did the same thing, raise prices for nothing but endless hours of commercials and endless hours of nothing but repeat shows, we dropped them. Now we get FREE repeat commercials!

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve had both and DISH is WAY more RV friendly. You can reauthorize your sat box with your smartphone. DISH doesn’t care if you change locals everyday.

I bought a carryout auto seek dome Winegard Pathway X2. It does HD.

You can’t use a Hopper but the Wally is ok. You can add a USB drive to use DVR feature, no monthly fee. Just a one time $40 DVR fee.

Way better tech support than DTV.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

"so what's my best/cheapest solution?" Well, if you want the most "direct" (pun intended) answer, cancel everything and just use your over-the-air antenna. Well? you asked...

When Direct TV and then later DishTV did the same thing, raise prices for nothing but endless hours of commercials and endless hours of nothing but repeat shows, we dropped them. Now we get FREE repeat commercials!

[emoticon]

AND you also now have a lot of "nothing" since now you are limited to the big three letter broadcasters with their endless made for TV reality game shows and dramas along with the endless free infomercials and bad news reporting, a few "independent" sub channels like METV, Antenna TV, GetTV with old reruns in perpetuity, a couple of PBS stations with the same old stuffy non earth breaking barely good enough to broadcast shows..

IF you really want to watch newer programming with less of the big three letter broadcast networks slants and special interest programs along with newer movie choices it is pretty hard to replace Direct or Dish.

My watching of OTA is pretty much limited to about 15 minutes per week in the mornings to catch the weather forecast before I go to work, pretty much all the other programming on OTA to me is nothing more than trash can filler.

I make extensive use of my Dish DVR, set to record all the programs I want, then when I really want to sit down and watch TV I can play back the program at my time and leisure and as a bonus I CUT OUT all of the commercials..

There isn't any really well done integrated OTA DVR that does this well other than TIVO and you PAY for that privilege!

I don't care for streaming, often the data streams are so highly compressed the programming is unwatchable on screens larger than a cellphone and the content you PAY for is so old and outdated it is like a throw back to the 1980s..

Not to mention most NEW content is not available on streaming services so if you want to watch it you will have to wait until it is at least one yr old IF it is released for syndication.

dennis1949

Decatur, Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/19 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

got letter from AT&T today in mail Said going to stop SD service and I needed to upgrade my equipment at no charge. There was not a date saying when this was going to happen Just said soon

Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> replacement for Directv
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS