cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

replacement for Directv

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I know there have been endless discussions on Directv vs. Dish on this forum. I'm interested in the latest update.

I personally use Directv at home and will transfer one of my receivers to the 5th wheel when traveling. Only needing standard definition, I've carried an 18" round dish for years, and when unable to aim at a satellite, I enjoyed the recorded programs on the DVR.

Well, now it's getting close to Directv's ending of the broadcast of SD signals, so what's my best/cheapest solution? Get one of the Directv self aiming cube type antennas that will receive HD signals, or look at a Dish system that can be dedicated to the 5th wheel, and only activated for one month periods when needed?

Any suggestions appreciated.
39 REPLIES 39

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Yeah, not. I love my DTV!

I love my DTV too Bill since 1995.

Aiming a tripod mounted Slimline dish is a piece of cake. I use the signal strength meter built in to the Genie and a wireless baby monitor so I can see and hear it from outside where the dish is. Takes minutes to aim.

At my home base site I have a ground mounted Slimline so all I have to do it hook up the coax.

Works for me.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
DTV is removing all SD programming early 2020. That might push you to another choice depending upon what HD programming is broadcast from the 101 satellite. An HD receiver will be required and no one has any idea which channels will be available.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
You can also do the exact same thing with ANY DTV hardware including the Genie and Genie 2. You just need a full sized antenna mounted on a tripod or an auto point roof antenna like the Winegard Trav'ler (no domes).
Move the equipment between RV and home seamlessly.

Well, that kinda gets back to my OP. I feel carrying, and aiming a full size SlimLine antenna mounted on a tripod would be a pain. Right now I'm more than pleased to sacrifice SD for HD reception and just have to deal with an 18" round antenna. I have no interest in a roof mounted antenna.

I too have been more than happy with DTV for 20 years but I can see that in the future Dish being a much better option for RVing unles something changes.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, not. I love my DTV!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
switch to dish!!!!!

Least complicated, and best answer to the question.

However, if you want lots and lots of options - - you're off to a good start, - - just like the pages and pages you mentioned.

:S

~

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can also do the exact same thing with ANY DTV hardware including the Genie and Genie 2. You just need a full sized antenna mounted on a tripod or an auto point roof antenna like the Winegard Trav'ler (no domes).
Move the equipment between RV and home seamlessly.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:
georgelesley wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
You can not use a Hopper with the Winegard Pathway.

I tried using the Hopper and a Joey with a tripod and the correct LNB but it was too big of a pain to take the Hopper, Joey and Access point out to the rv.

Not to mention DISH boxes have a slow meter so it was a pain to align the dish.

Now I just leave them at home to grind away downloading shows and use the Pathway.

I hope someday Winegard or someone comes out with an auto align dome that works with a Hopper.

Yep, the hopper is limited to full sized dishes. Since we have dish at home, it just makes sense for us. No extra cost to use it on the road after we paid for the proper equipment.

I mentioned the hopper since the OP stated he has Direct already at home, he might consider switching home as well for convenience.

Yes, thanks, I would consider changing at home as well. Can the Hopper be taken out of the RV and used at home with a fixed dish antenna?

If that were the case, I would not use the "pay as you go" program. I would do what I now do with DTV and just use the Hopper as one of my home receivers and transfer to the 5th wheel as needed.

Yes. We move ours back and forth between home and rv. I did put slide on leads and extended the leads from the wall at home to make it easier to hook up and disconnect. I also put a short very flexible hdmi cable in the rv from the original hdmi cable to the hopper since a 90* adapter would not fit.. And also got the dish ota adapter for the rv install so the locals show up in the guide and can be recorded as well although the same thing can be done by calling dish to switch the locals. I do suggest when calling to switch locals use option 4 tech support on the menu, they seem to know how better and get it right.

The only thing is when you switch between home and the rv for us anyway, is that I have to run a check switch (test installation) the first time I turn on the hopper in each location. Takes a few minutes. After that no need. You may also have to switch the locals back to your home area.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:

I tried using the Hopper and a Joey with a tripod and the correct LNB but it was too big of a pain to take the Hopper, Joey and Access point out to the rv.

Now I just leave them at home to grind away downloading shows and use the Pathway.

I hope someday Winegard or someone comes out with an auto align dome that works with a Hopper.

Yep, the hopper is limited to full sized dishes. Since we have dish at home, it just makes sense for us. No extra cost to use it on the road after we paid for the proper equipment.

I mentioned the hopper since the OP stated he has Direct already at home, he might consider switching home as well for convenience.

Yes, thanks, I would consider changing at home as well. Can the Hopper be taken out of the RV and used at home with a fixed dish antenna?

If that were the case, I would not use the "pay as you go" program. I would do what I now do with DTV and just use the Hopper as one of my home receivers and transfer to the 5th wheel as needed.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Iโ€™ve had both and DISH is WAY more RV friendly. You can reauthorize your sat box with your smartphone. DISH doesnโ€™t care if you change locals everyday.

I bought a carryout auto seek dome Winegard Pathway X2. It does HD.

You canโ€™t use a Hopper but the Wally is ok. You can add a USB drive to use DVR feature, no monthly fee. Just a one time $40 DVR fee.

Way better tech support than DTV.

Depending on your setup, you can actually use a hopper in a RV. We carry our home hopper 3 with us on our travels and enjoy the same programming on the road that we get at home, changing the locals as we go an all the recorded stuff as well.

It does not work with all antennas though.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tom_M wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
There isn't any really well done integrated OTA DVR that does this well other than TIVO and you PAY for that privilege!
Channel Master has an OTA DVR for $129 that looks promising. No subscription needed:

Channel Master Stream+ OTA DVR

Microsoft had an excellent DVR feature which was included with Windows called "Windows Media Center". That feature is no longer included in Windows 10. I'm still using Media Center with Windows 7 and SiliconDust HDHomeRun tuners. It presently downloads a program guide, but that will end at the end of the year.

:R

CM, yeah, strictly OVER THE AIR, sure it lets you mindlessly record the big threes junk programming so you can endlessly replay dumb folks getting "voted" of the island.. Or folks with very little talent sing and dance over and over..

Movies?

Yeah, the big three haven't played box office movies for years..

Sports?

Yeah, most sports has been moved off the big three MAIN channels which are OTA in favor of their own CABLE ONLY channels.

Special interest? (Home improvement (not Tim Allen), gardening, DIY) nope, not available via OTA!

"B" rated movies?

NOPE, not OTA..

Gomer Pyle, Gilligans Island.. YEP, you can endlessly record those but in reality, just how many times CAN you stand repeating those?

W Media center, yeah, pretty much way of the DoDo, another 100% abandoned MS software product..

Silicon Dust, yep, nothing like repeating the CM..

Then there is the streaming stuff via Internet.. Most if not all streamed content IS copy protected.. Not to mention availability of content is not 100% assured it will be available (constantly is changed, removed) and if you don't mind waiting 1, 2 or more years you might be able to find your show to watch.. However, much will never hit the streaming channels due to contractual arrangements.

Pretty much you will lose some if not most content that is currently available via cable or sat.

So, if you are content with medium to poor half baked leftover reality shows and sometimes the badly done restart shows from 20 yrs, no blockbuster movies, very few sports and no DIY special interest before recording OTA channels is a worthless venture.

I do predict that in the next 20 yrs, it most likely will be down to one Sat provider, lately Dish has reported a pretty decent increase in Sat systems due to ATTs dumb moves (why did a "telecom" company ever decide that Sat programming would be a good fit???)..

But, you will still have a lot of cable Cos still actively operating delivering video, phone and Internet services..

Just remember though, the moment ONE of these services dies off, your cost won't go down, it will go UP..

So, cheer for the death of Sat and cable providers and you will ultimately pay a higher price for alternate ways to get that content!

Have seen it and done it.. I miss my old "C" band dish, paid $30 per month with East and West coast feeds and had all of the HBO/Cinmax plus East and West feeds.

Now, I pay $100 per month but no East and West feeds and no HBO/Max..

Progress :M

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
edatlanta wrote:
My DTV Slimline Dish on a tripod still works great and I plan to continue with it. Dish might get my attention at some point, but DNS is the deal breaker for me. I like having my network programs on a known channel. I could care less from where the channel comes since I'm not interested in local news.

I've had both DirecTV and DishTV at home and currently use Dish. DirecTV is said to have more powerful satellites, but a good alignment on the dish makes that a moot point. One thing I like about Dish is their Sling option which is what I use in my RV. As long as I have a pretty good cell connection I can stream all of the channels from the home Dish receiver to my RV and no additional cost. In the RV I've got a Mobley from AT&T that I'm grandfathered in on a $20/mo unlimited data plan. Spent the whole summer in Alaska near an AT&T tower steaming movies and my local channels from Texas. The only problem with this setup is when I camp in area where there isn't any good cell coverage, but in those places I'm usually not watching TV anyway.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
My DTV Slimline Dish on a tripod still works great and I plan to continue with it. Dish might get my attention at some point, but DNS is the deal breaker for me. I like having my network programs on a known channel. I could care less from where the channel comes since I'm not interested in local news.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010