cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tx Fluid Level ??

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Winn Voyage 38J with 8.1 L Vortec on Workhorse chassis with 6-speed Allison i. I'm trying to check the Tx fluid and am encountering confusion. The owner's manual shows a photo of the Tx dipstick. It shows only a HOT range and that range is close to the dipstick tip. Yet my actual dipstick has both a COLD and HOT range. The COLD range is near the dipstick tip end and the HOT range is 1" plus further up, each range approx 1/4" wide. This does not match the owner's manual.

I have checked Tx fluid level cold and level and was higher than HOT range??? I have checked Tx fluid at gas station after pulling off long highway and it was higher than HOT range.

Does anyone have any observations to help me resolve my confusion? Just trying to properly maintain our MH and am confused.

Thanks in advance....
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
11 REPLIES 11

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Typically with the Allison transmission they run hot if overfilled.

At least that is what many with the Allison 1000 used in the Duramax pickups have discovered.

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, had driven 25 miles (non-highway), had shifted through all the gears and engine was running when fluid level was checked. All in accordance with the owner's manual instructions.
TC&Z

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, had driven 25 miles (non-highway), had shifted through all the gears and engine was running when fluid level was checked. All in accordance with the owner's manual instructions.
TC&Z

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
TC&Z

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Are you checking it with the engine running?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
I could not tell you. On my RV V10, it blew out the front seal twice, once when I got it , had around 5000 miles and it started leaking. Ford replace it and stated that it was over filled. I had never add any fluid and it did show just a tad over the full mark. Second time just about out of warranty and again front seal. Got the same statement of over filled. After that time, when it was change I did it every 2/3 years and always fill to the mark and never had leak again. I did notice that when I change it after warranty the whine that I had went away. It seem to be coming from transmission. Was told from the local dealer that it was normal sound. I have a year 99.

I change the fluid on all my other vehicle on a 3/5 year change out. Had no issue with them.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
and Add if too full it can cause the front seal to leak. Assuming you are checking fluid with it hot in Park or what every your manual states. My newer vehicle has no stick and it is important that the correct level be in the pan.

I curious, what is the reason the front seal would leak if too full?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
and Add if too full it can cause the front seal to leak. Assuming you are checking fluid with it hot in Park or what every your manual states. My newer vehicle has no stick and it is important that the correct level be in the pan.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I would go with the actual dipstick. The danger with being overfull is if it is too full the fluid can contact the rotating gearsets and foam up. If after a long drive you are above the level, but there is no foam or bubbles on the stick then I would not worry about it.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
The level is not critical - unless it's not showing on the dipstick. If it's a little high, don't worry about it. If it's way over the mark, it might foam-up on you. The only way to lower it is slip a small tube into the dipstick tube and suck some out. If you do that, don't take out more than a cup at a time before checking the level again.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Deleted.