cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smoke Detectors

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
As part of getting things ready to leave for the winter, I started wondering about the smoke and CO detectors in my house. They are battery operated and not on any kind of system that would alert a fire department of their activation. Since the house will be vacant, does it matter if I remove the batteries? What do all of you do that have a similar situation?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
16 REPLIES 16

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Insurance Company......????
ANY statement from Agent should be in writing/signed-dated!
I have learned that nothing the agent says is worth anything. You need it in writing from the UNDERWRITER.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:
WVcampground wrote:
RobWNY wrote:

I do have an alarm system with glass breakage, motion, temperature, water and entry sensors along with some cameras that activate with motion. Besides being monitored by the alarm company, I get phone notifications as well.

Why not get smokes and CO's that are tied into your alarm and monitoring? All security companies can get battery operated - wireless smoke and CO detectors that can be put on a system, even if it's currently hard wired.

I plan on doing that in a couple of years. I replaced all of my smoke/CO detectors last Spring and installed the alarm system this past Summer. I want to get a couple of years use out of them at least. I hate feeling like I threw my money away.
Put those new ones in your RV then put new ones in your house that are connected to your security system.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
WVcampground wrote:
RobWNY wrote:

I do have an alarm system with glass breakage, motion, temperature, water and entry sensors along with some cameras that activate with motion. Besides being monitored by the alarm company, I get phone notifications as well.

Why not get smokes and CO's that are tied into your alarm and monitoring? All security companies can get battery operated - wireless smoke and CO detectors that can be put on a system, even if it's currently hard wired.

I plan on doing that in a couple of years. I replaced all of my smoke/CO detectors last Spring and installed the alarm system this past Summer. I want to get a couple of years use out of them at least. I hate feeling like I threw my money away.

WVcampground
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:

"Now the Subaru with the โ€œcoexistโ€ sticker on the back doing 68 mph passing a semi thatโ€™s going 67mph in a 70 zone. Yeah Iโ€™ll slap the entitlement tag on them leaf lickers!" - Grit Dog - Warning, you may find the preceding offensive if you lick leaves.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice everyone. I'll leave the batteries in and working.

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Yes, leave the alarms on. Doesn't hurt anything, and might help save your house.

In my town, we (I am in the fire department) certainly do respond to a few calls a year where a neighbor or a passerby hears an alarm going off and that person calls 911.

X2

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, leave the alarms on. Doesn't hurt anything, and might help save your house.

In my town, we (I am in the fire department) certainly do respond to a few calls a year where a neighbor or a passerby hears an alarm going off and that person calls 911.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
NatParkJunkie wrote:
If you have an Amazon Alexa device, you can enable a feature called Alexa Guard. The device will listen for breaking glass and smoke detector alarms. If it hears either, it will send a push notification to your phone to let you know. I played a breaking glass sound effect and pushed the smoke detector test button to try it out. It notifies your phone, and lets you listen in to hear what's happening in your house.
Obviously not the same as a full security system. But a cheap way to let you know that something might be going on.

I don't have an Amazon Alexa device but I do have an alarm system with glass breakage, motion, temperature, water and entry sensors along with some cameras that activate with motion. Besides being monitored by the alarm company, I get phone notifications as well.

NatParkJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an Amazon Alexa device, you can enable a feature called Alexa Guard. The device will listen for breaking glass and smoke detector alarms. If it hears either, it will send a push notification to your phone to let you know. I played a breaking glass sound effect and pushed the smoke detector test button to try it out. It notifies your phone, and lets you listen in to hear what's happening in your house.
Obviously not the same as a full security system. But a cheap way to let you know that something might be going on.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I remove the batteries - what good is an alarm when there is nobody around to hear it?
Kevin

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
"There were no working fire/Smoke Detectors in the Home".

Fire Dept stresses this because of casualties/deaths to OCCUPANTS

Insurance Company......????
ANY statement from Agent should be in writing/signed-dated!

Oh..just leave the batteries in it.
Why do you think you need to remove....occupied or not????????
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I have the smoke detectors that claim a 10 year battery life and installed Lithium Ion 9v batteries in them. I'll leave them in but will check with my insurance agent regarding this.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:
I ask because you hear stories all the time when disaster strikes, where the fire department makes a point to say "There were no working fire/Smoke Detectors in the Home". I don't know if that creates a snag when negotiating a settlement with the Insurance company or if the fire officials are just stressing the importance of detectors.

Just a side note, the American Red Cross has a program to install free smoke detectors with 10 year batteries. We had them do it for our 5th wheel in a NW park and in our park model here in Arizona. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
IIRC, I get a small discount on homeowner's insurance by having functional fire alarms. I doubt insurance would deny a claim if no one home, batteries removed, but no real reason to not leave the batteries in. I would leave them, even if gone long term.

So much fine print, where insurance is involved, such as, insured household occupied, which yours may not qualify, if gone for 3-4 months? May want to ask your agent.

Jerry