Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Trouble with California
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trouble with California

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfkmk wrote:

Airdaile wrote:

I stay away from California. Problem solved.

Agreed! California certainly has strange priorities.

Yeah, strange priority here, protecting its agriculture:

In 2018, California's farms and ranches received almost $50 billion in cash receipts for their output. This represents a slight increase over adjusted cash receipts for 2017 1.

California's agricultural abundance includes more than 400 commodities. Over a third of the country's vegetables and two-thirds of the country's fruits and nuts are grown in California. California is the leading US state for cash farm receipts, accounting for over 13 percent of the nation's total agricultural value. The top producing commodities for 2018 include:

Dairy Products, Milk — $6.37 billion
Grapes — $6.25 billion
Almonds — $5.47 billion
Cattle and Calves — $3.19 billion
Pistachios — $2.62 billion
Strawberries — $2.34 billion
Lettuce — $1.81 billion
Floriculture — $1.22 billion
Tomatoes — $1.20 billion
Oranges — $1.12 billion

Source: https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/statistics/

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

rk911 wrote:

pitch wrote:

...If you wish to bow down to an unconstitutional request go for it. I for one will stand on my two feet and demand my government treat me as a citizen, not a subject!

a request to do this or that is just that a request. requests are neither constitutional or unconstitutional...they're just requests. you said no. end of story. if they had pushed their way inside to search without probable cause then that may be unconstitutional. if you suffer retaliation for that answer then it's time for an atty otherwise have a nice day.

Except that this is already a decided case by the U.S. Supreme Court decision in California vs. Carney case, the a motorhome, while it is similar to a house/home, is part of the "automobile exemption" can can be subject to search without need of a warrant.

are you saying that any vehicle can be searched by law enforcement at any time for any reason? i can’t imagine that is the case but if it is settled law then the request would’ve been constitutional.

Why does "without a warrant" always equate to "without reason". I believe in this case case it is "with probable cause".

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

[email protected] - Civics 101, Nancy is not responsible for state regulations, CA legislators do.
History 101, Nancy Reagan, ca. 1982. "In 1982, the phrase "Just Say No" first emerged when Nancy Reagan was visiting Longfellow Elementary School in Oakland, California. When asked by a schoolgirl what to do if she was offered drugs, the First Lady responded: "Just say no.".

It was a joke.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, Ndrorder, not "rigths," but obligations to protect California's farms, groves, forests, daires, orchards etc. from pests. Please let California decide if ag inspections are necessary, not those living and working elsewhere.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting topic. Makes me wonder what they do if you showed up at their inspection with these dang stink bugs hanging onto your bumper!

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I live in So Calif and can't tell you how many times I've come through the AG Inspection which is now closer to the actual border than it ever was before....its now located at the new weigh station just past State line.

A matter of fact, most times NO ONE is even attending this station and other times, your simply waved through. On the rare occasion someone is manning the station, they may ask where you are coming from? or if you have any fruit? Since the general reply is Las Vegas, you get waved through also. Why someone MIGHT be singled out is rather simple, you have a plate from someplace other than Calif/Nevada...in this case New York! Chances are someone from the East Coast entering Calif may have purchased fruits or vegetables along their cross country trip...Hell, I'm no Rocket Scientist, but I can figure that one out.

Since all like to Dig on Calif here, I can tell you with No hesitation, I'd take everything that greater Los Angeles has instead of what greater New York City has any day of the week. If you don't like Calif...stay home, won't hurt my feelings!

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie and Potter
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a general rule, no officer can make an inspection into your automobile or residence without a warrant that requires probable cause. If exigent circumstances exist, then a warrant is not required but probable cause must be present. I am not licensed to practice in California (thankfully) so the state's supreme court may have decisions that muddy these waters, and perhaps the federal district courts have weighed in on this as well. I doubt they have changed the probable cause requirement, however.

The biggest issue against the State of California requiring anyone from submitting to any search or denying entry is that (1.) the U.S. Constitution allows for free travel without restriction, and (2.) except for just a few of the entry points into the state none are not subject to any inspection.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From the CDFA:

"What Legal Authority do your inspectors have to stop and check my vehicle?

The Department’s legal authority for conducting vehicle and commodity inspections lies in the California Food and Agricultural Code, specifically Sections 5341-5353 and 6301-6465. Although submitting to inspection is voluntary, vehicle and commodities are not allowed to enter until released by an inspector." LINK

So, by all means, be a tough guy and pi$$ off the inspector.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

California has a lot to worry about. But it won't be a insect that devastates it's economy. Your correct on stating your rights that are protected as a citizen of this country. I wouldn't get so worked up over it ... you won.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

Why someone MIGHT be singled out is rather simple, you have a plate from someplace other than Calif/Nevada...in this case New York! Chances are someone from the East Coast entering Calif may have purchased fruits or vegetables along their cross country trip...Hell, I'm no Rocket Scientist, but I can figure that one out.

Same conclusion I came to before I finished page 1. But some folks have to fuel the "spiracy" theory.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trouble with California
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS