cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trouble with California

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Ag. Check points;we all know understand and tolerate them,never a problem.
Couple of weeks ago we were heade to redwood. National forest from Grants Pas Oregon.
Ag check ahead, ok I fall into line with everyone else,multiple lanes,cars trucks,other rv,s. Everyone pauses about thirty seconds and moves on. Normal right?
My turn, she looks at my NY tags,Have you any fresh fruits or vegetables on board?"
"No we Don,t"
"w
When was the last time this vehicle was in Ny?"
"About 8or9weeks ago."

She then grabs a flashlight and inspection miror and gives the undercarriage of both truck and trailer a thorough going over. She then does a second tour inspecting the roof area.
I was quite surprised,but oh well not an imposition.
"I would like to inspect the interior"

"Not with out a warrant"
"Sir Weare trying to protect our agricultural resources"

"I understand that,bbut you are not entering my trailer without a warrant !"

She gave me a look that could kill,and entered her both and made a phone call.

Minute is so later she comes out,shoves a handful of invasive critter literature into my hand and said,"move on"

Has anyone else been subjected to such nonsense,or did this inspector just have a bone for New Yorkers?
281 REPLIES 281

Not applicable
Who the heck wants to go into the former golden state anyway? I left there in 2014 and have not looked back. Great place, but the crime, filth in cities, taxes, gas $ and restrictive govt. punished me to the point to move out and Iโ€™m sad about it. But to each his own.

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
winniman wrote:
My first time going to NFLD was about five years ago. My friends that came with me had been there before, and said we would have to go through a giant "car wash" that would spray the MH from all sides when we leave the island to return to the mainland. I guess they were trying to control some kind of potato bug. I have been there twice now,and we went through the wash station both times, but they didn't wash the rv. I guess the previous threat was not present at the time. I wonder what would happen if the washer was required, and you refused to let them spray your rv. I guess your rv would be a permanent resident of NFLD.

If somebody wants to wash down my RV for free, just tell me where!

Im somehow guessing they would be spraying some kind of insecticide, not warm soapy water. Kind of funny though, picturing a couple newfies with scrub brushes giving everyone a free rv wash. Ya'll come back now ya hear.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
winniman wrote:
My first time going to NFLD was about five years ago. My friends that came with me had been there before, and said we would have to go through a giant "car wash" that would spray the MH from all sides when we leave the island to return to the mainland. I guess they were trying to control some kind of potato bug. I have been there twice now,and we went through the wash station both times, but they didn't wash the rv. I guess the previous threat was not present at the time. I wonder what would happen if the washer was required, and you refused to let them spray your rv. I guess your rv would be a permanent resident of NFLD.

If somebody wants to wash down my RV for free, just tell me where!

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
ppine wrote:
It takes a lot of attitude to get cross-threaded with the ag inspection agents a the CA border. Be respectful. Do what they ask. No problema.

You don't even have to do what they ask. Just be respectful and if you don't agree to a search, then state no politely. Don't play games, don't give attitude.

It's your choice and your right not to be searched. But you don't have to be an @ss to stand up for your rights. Everybody has or had a job where you learned that jerks with attitudes make a simple task impossible and stressful. Don't be that jerk for someone else.

Both 'quotes' very well said!!!

Now to get those with the better than 'thou' attitude to listen and learn.

Priceless.

Lakeside

winniman
Explorer
Explorer

diginomad
Explorer
Explorer
There is an inspection point near South Tahoe between Nevada and California. You can go around the building or go through it to meet the attendant (when present).

The first time I commuted through there in the summer of 2018, I stopped. The guy gave me a pass slip and the idea is to hold up the pass or display it when taking the bypass.

People drive by that building at full speed. Nobody stops. Nobody holds their slip and don't display it. The attendant got all excited and waved everytime I passed. I think it is because I held up the slip. But most of the time, nobody was around.

An unattended inspection point is a waste of money. CA is tax crazy and part of that problem is from having to pay for all the State Government employees retirement benefits.

So if you want an easy-peesy job with a pension, "equality" and workers rights get a job at the Ag IP in Tahoe. Bring a laptop and **** off all day. Work if you feel like it.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I have family on both sides of the border. I've been across the border somewhere between fifty and a hundred times myself, and my dad, who I must say is kind of a confrontational person, has been across at many hundreds of times. I've never heard of anyone being asked for an inspection of their vehicle.

We just say no when asked if we have any fruit or vegetables. Even if we have a large box of fruit plainly visible :-). As far as I'm concerned, it's security theater, just like the airport checkpoints and the wall. I think all they really care about is what the semis are hauling.

Do you have any experience with quince? They are a wonderfully, powerfully, fragrant fruit that grows in cold climates. When I went through last fall, I had a box of quince and a box of apples. My entire van smelled like essence of fruit. No hassles.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
bpounds wrote:
toedtoes wrote:

You don't even have to do what they ask.

Really? You just drive right on through and report back on what happens. If they ask you to stop, don't do what they asked. Just pull on.

If you don't want them to search, then you say no. It's up to them if you get to drive on through or turn around. But the point is that you CAN say no to the search. If you get an attitude, you're guarranteeing a problem. If you're polite, you have a chance at an easier time.

Or they can test again the constitutionality of the agri inspection and get another court decision like this:

"United States v. Martinez-Fuerte, 428 U.S. 543, 96 S.Ct. 3074, 49 L.Ed.2d 1116, determined that checkpoints do not constitute a Fourth Amendment violation of the rights of motorists and their passengers. The court found that neither warrant nor probable cause was required to briefly stop motorists at the checkpoint to ask a few questions."

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
bpounds wrote:
toedtoes wrote:

Really? You just drive right on through and report back on what happens. If they ask you to stop, don't do what they asked. Just pull on.

If you don't want them to search, then you say no. It's up to them if you get to drive on through or turn around. But the point is that you CAN say no to the search. If you get an attitude, you're guarranteeing a problem. If you're polite, you have a chance at an easier time.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
kinda sounds like nonya
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:
I go between Or and CA all the time and go through the "AG" stops all the time. I have been asked a few times if they can "inspect" the inside of my TC for whatever, I just laugh at them and say no. They have no authority for such...in fact 90% of the time the Leo's don't have the authority, but people are intimidated by the request and submit to it, why I have no idea.

Know your rights and demand respect from ANYONE, or be a sheep and get trampled on.

I'm sorry if I found this incredulous. I don't think you'll even be asked, and you'll just be waived at the border if you have a Oregon license plate. That's within flying distance of any insect and don't need you car to be transported. These nearby states, up to WA have joint-coordinated pest control protocols.

Really? you've ridden with my wife and I driving in and out of CA over the last 10 years? I love the drivel of some people who choose there own "truths" over others facts. You can choose your "alternate" reality if you wish, but quit making statements about things that you don't have first hand knowledge of.

Kinda sounds like a House impeachment inquiry.... :R

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
toedtoes wrote:

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine wrote:
It takes a lot of attitude to get cross-threaded with the ag inspection agents a the CA border. Be respectful. Do what they ask. No problema.

You don't even have to do what they ask. Just be respectful and if you don't agree to a search, then state no politely. Don't play games, don't give attitude.

It's your choice and your right not to be searched. But you don't have to be an @ss to stand up for your rights. Everybody has or had a job where you learned that jerks with attitudes make a simple task impossible and stressful. Don't be that jerk for someone else.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II