Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Camping etiquette
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping etiquette

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw two problems the OP made:

1. Going to a KOA
2. Going on a weekend

Both of these almost guarantee this kind of experience.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

I saw two problems the OP made:

1. Going to a KOA
2. Going on a weekend

Both of these almost guarantee this kind of experience.

SOME of US still work and have NO CHOICE other than camp on weekends...

And unlike a bunch here, I have stayed in a few ( not many) KOA's and have not had a bad experience yet..

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

rickeoni

home

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stayed in a sausage parking RV lot ONCE. There is a BIG difference between camping and RVing. My buddy only goes to RV parks that have full hookups, showers and a pool, we always dry camp or boondock. Many choices of where to camp/RV, if you don't like the atmosphere try something else, you might like it.

2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

I can only wonder why anyone would stay at the Allentown KOA. Is this some sort of resort type camping? When I pass through the area, I stay for free at the Cabelas down the road in Hamburg.

Dorney Park is in the Allentown Area

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 200K"

Where we have camped

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could have been far worse. Could have had the music blaring and a couple of construction grade gennies cranking...

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This isn't an issue of boondocking vs a commercial RV Park, it is an issue of a poorly designed and/or managed park. Having RVs park so that the door of one RV opens into the door of another RV is just plain wrong. It is customary for the area out your front door to be your area, not an area shared by another RV unless that area is unusually large. I don't mean 35 feet instead of 30, but something like a huge common area, say baseball field sized, where the RVs are parked around that area. Very uncommon to say the least. Sharing your front yard with a stranger in another RV is awkward at best. For that small shared yard to be occupied by 30 strangers is unacceptable to almost any RVer. The park should have done something to prevent it from happening. The OP took it much better than I would.

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Campground? When I see "KOA" I think "RV park"

For me at least I don't look at KOA's as RV Parks, I look at them as a possible place to stay. I research them, and if the reviews are good and if the park fits our needs we will book it just like any other place. [emoticon]

Mike

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I for one am getting pretty tired of the campground cult telling me how I should enjoy my recreation time. If you wouldn't be caught dead in a KOA, then why would you force that view on anyone else? Who are you to say what "camping" is? Is "camping" only BLM land off-grid in your TC? Try that in the east. Don't want to spend any money on an over night stay? Fine. Good luck with your full black tank searching for a free dump site. Everyone here has a different view of what they enjoy. STFU about what you think is the correct way to do it.

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

This isn't an issue of boondocking vs a commercial RV Park, it is an issue of a poorly designed and/or managed park. Having RVs park so that the door of one RV opens into the door of another RV is just plain wrong. It is customary for the area out your front door to be your area, not an area shared by another RV unless that area is unusually large. I don't mean 35 feet instead of 30, but something like a huge common area, say baseball field sized, where the RVs are parked around that area. Very uncommon to say the least. Sharing your front yard with a stranger in another RV is awkward at best. For that small shared yard to be occupied by 30 strangers is unacceptable to almost any RVer. The park should have done something to prevent it from happening. The OP took it much better than I would.

Not one to normally drop Park Names but I was put(with our traveling friends) in a site that was a "neighbor site", meaning facing one another. This particular one had room for a Volley ball tournament+++ between us. One of the best sites ever....OH, Red Rock Canyon in Idaho near Yellowstone.

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie and Potter
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just because someone doesn't want a party of thirty-some people right by their front door does not make them anti-social idiots. When I go camping, I prefer to either hang out by ourselves, or with our friends. Doesn't mean Im not friendly when walking around, and wave and say hi to folks as they walk by, but it also doesn't mean I want to spend hours talking to everyone I meet either.

It sounds like that KOA was just poorly designed. I don't see that as OP's fault, nor do I find it unreasonable that he would like and expect some level of privacy.

Even the RV resort I stay at periodically in Sarasota Fl, while all small spots, still provides some measure of "privacy". No ones doors are facing each other, and I don't have to worry about someone borrowing my picnic table, or whatever.

It's really not too much to ask for others to be respectful of boundaries. At least it used to not be too much. Now, I guess it is.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping etiquette
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS