Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Camping etiquette
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping etiquette

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More inane rvnet bitsching about nothing.....
If you want solitude, don't go to a KOA. Methinks oversensitive campers combined with not drinking enough!
Oooh, some kid tried to play with your kid's toys? The horror!! I mean did the kid steal them and try to sell them on the street corner or just wandered over for a bit? My remedy for this is if the munchkins are coming around, feed am a bunch of sugar and point them towards their parents with a Mountain Dew in one hand and a bag of skittles in the other! Best effect is to do this right as they're grilling dinner! LOL

Lady got lost and strolled over? Well you are basically in a public place. Idk, the last RV park we stayed at, our puppy played with the neighbor kids, we got to try some of their dinner, our kids helped them wakeboard cause we took them for a boat ride and they shared some of their beer!
And the Canadians camped across the way made fun of me for not getting a fire lit with the wet @ss campground firewood and once I broke out some Coleman fuel and got er lit, they poured me a whisky and we talked about hockey...

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

WVcampground

WV

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What the OP experienced can to be expected at a KOA that is 15 miles from a metro area with a population of over 200,000+ (Allentown Bethlehem), 50 miles as the crow flies from Philadelphia, and less than 90 miles from New York City. Add to that one of the last weekends before they close for the season.

BTW, if the 30 people who came to dinner next door were not staying at the KOA and it was not a group function such as a Rally, the management probably had no issue accepting the fee charged for "visitors". That is typically $5-$7 each. When the OP complained all they most likely did was put on a Dog and Pony show. They probably knew exactly what was going on.

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I'm showing my age but I seem to remember a time, many, many years ago that both camping and RV'ing was a social activity. Not so much anymore! Now if someone doesn't fit into "your" idea of "camping", their simply rude and unbearable people.

Someone had a gathering at their campsite, how is that any different than a Rally group gathering at one particular campsite. I'm sure these 30 some odd person's didn't all pitch tents and spend the night or did they?

Yes, I too like to have some room to move about my site BUT Privacy is not something I expect at a RV site/campground. Heck, look at the biggest so called Resorts...nothing more than parking lots where you can reach out and touch your neighbor.

* This post was edited 10/21/19 12:22pm by Acampingwewillgo *

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie and Potter
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

can only wonder why anyone would stay at the Allentown KOA. Is this some sort of resort type camping? When I pass through the area, I stay for free at the Cabelas down the road in Hamburg.

Because some of us don't consider staying in a parking lot "camping". Some of us aren't cheap and want to keep campgrounds in business. And some of us consider the traveling days part of the trip and hope to use some of the facilities of the cg when we get there. I like to walk. Parking lots stink for walking. I personally don't understand the fascination with staying in rest stops, truck stops or parking lots, even if it saves a few bucks.

Because Cabelas is not only free, but uncrowded, quiet, convenient for shopping, several nearby stores and restaurants. If you like hiking, Cabalas is a great place to visit. They have a huge selection of hiking shoes and boots.

I am still puzzled about the Allentown KOA. It sounds crowded, noisy and someplace where I would not even want to spent the night while traveling to a better location.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

Maybe I'm showing my age but I seem to remember a time, many, many years ago that both camping and RV'ing was a social activity. ....

I have been camping since I was a kid and never considered it to be a social activity. I go out into nature to enjoy nature, the beauty, the solitude, the wildlife and more, but certainly not noisy neighbors.

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of you folks are far too forgiving. Maybe you've never had the pleasure of camping in places that the management actually care about your experience. Maybe you've been going to places like this so long that you think this is normal. It's only happening at places that tolerate it. If you like that sort of thing more power to you. I don't really care. But disrespecting and insulting those that don't care for it is pretty low. It's certainly not evidence of any tolerance anyone is professing.

I grew up with camping etiquette that you respect your fellow campers, don't go on or cut through the campsites of others, if the noise can be heard at the next site it's too loud (usually only pertains to music). It's just respect and, here's that phrase again, common sense.

And it can still be a social activity without encroaching or disrespecting others. I see large groups all the time when we camp. Really large groups, 30-40 people gathering in one site. And they are always respectful to others. One of the CGs we go to won't tolerate it any other way.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

Maybe I'm showing my age but I seem to remember a time, many, many years ago that both camping and RV'ing was a social activity. ....

I have been camping since I was a kid and never considered it to be a social activity. I go out into nature to enjoy nature, the beauty, the solitude, the wildlife and more, but certainly not noisy neighbors.

Guess you missed out on a lot of Fun then. You mean to say you never camped with a bunch of friends or have you been a loner your whole life? To each his own I suppose but I'm always neighborly whether your two feet away from my site or two hundred feet from my site. Guess you weren't a Boy Scout then...seems to me their campouts were quite Social when I was growing up and they taught you to be a Good neighbor.

* This post was edited 10/21/19 12:24pm by Acampingwewillgo *

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

when I camp I go some place where theres NO PEOPLE ,most camp grounds are like a coral .
Like the Great Barrier Reef?

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Their is a major difference between a campground and an RV park. The commercial establishments that in my mind can be called "campgrounds"are few and far between.
I know I amtiltting at windmills,but my one wish is that you "holier than thou" anti paking lot Nazis could give it a rest. You are not impressing anyone but yourself.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah I think the last place I'd go if I wanted some privacy and quiet is a KOA. Even if the sites are spread out more, they often attract families with kids who run around screaming all day. No thanks. KOAs serve their purpose for that type, or for a quick overnight stop.

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping etiquette
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS