Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Camping etiquette
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping etiquette

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pretty sure if you check the campground rules, you'll see that they have a limit on how many guests you can have on a sight. That number is usually around 6 people. Of course, that requires you to go to the office and lodge a complaint.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when I camp I go some place where theres NO PEOPLE ,most camp grounds are like a coral .

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

can only wonder why anyone would stay at the Allentown KOA. Is this some sort of resort type camping? When I pass through the area, I stay for free at the Cabelas down the road in Hamburg.

Because some of us don't consider staying in a parking lot "camping". Some of us aren't cheap and want to keep campgrounds in business. And some of us consider the traveling days part of the trip and hope to use some of the facilities of the cg when we get there. I like to walk. Parking lots stink for walking. I personally don't understand the fascination with staying in rest stops, truck stops or parking lots, even if it saves a few bucks.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

I pretty sure if you check the campground rules, you'll see that they have a limit on how many guests you can have on a sight. That number is usually around 6 people. Of course, that requires you to go to the office and lodge a complaint.

Most CG I go to limit people to 6 for the stay. But I have never seen a limit to the number of visitors as long as the leave by the start of quiet hours.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at the web site for Allentown KOA and it looks like almost every KOA. It is basically a parking lot with trees, a pool, laundry and store.
We just completed a month long trip through thee Rockies. Even the National Parks have sites pretty close together because they need to get as many people as possible in the campgrounds to try to meet demand. The only way to get a huge private site is to try true boondocking. We stayed at a National Grassland and were the only campers for 10 miles (we think.)

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, we just finished our camping season with a 2 weekend stay at Spring Gulch Campground in New Holland, PA.

While it is not a KOA, it is basically the same. We had OUR group dinner( 15 ) over the fire Saturday night, as we always do. We all sit around the fire and 1 by 1 we turn in for the night, care full to respect quiet times.

While some may not like the closeness, we choose that campground, so we accept the accommodations.

Unless I am staying at a Destination Resort, i expect this type of camping..

The only time I had a problem with crowds at a site was when one ended in an all out brawl between the family members and drinks were flowing.. I give credit to the staff for handling that issue fast !

Unless I am staying at a Destination Resort, i expect this type of camping..

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If all the sites are set up to face door to door it is time to find another park. That is just poor construction of a park. I wonder if it was actually built to be that way or if someone just decided to allow people to park any way they dang well please in each site and you just ended up with that situation because the people with the party decided parking in the site backwards would give them more room, the heck with everyone else.
If that was the case, it illustrates why we are very firm in how we allow people to park in sites. We get people from time to time who want to park in sites backward. They think it gets them a better view, or makes it easier to get into or out of, or allows them to share the yard with their traveling companions, or maybe they just are rebels and want to go against the grain. We always say "NO" for the very reason the OP endured. Even with people traveling together, we don't allow it because once you let one rig do something, other rigs are sure to follow.
As for numbers on the site, it is pretty easy have and enforce rules about occupancy per site, but impossible to have or enforce a rule about how many people can be on the site at one time since there are often multiple rigs traveling together and they are traveling that way exactly because they want to spend their campground time together. However, party with 30 people in a single RV site should have been moved to a more appropriate location than that single site and if such an area was not available the party should have been shut down by management as not being appropriate for the facilities.
The OP's issues are a result of either poor park design or poor park management, period.

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope the chirping birds didn't add to the chaos...

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unbelievable.
Stunning even.
Who ever runs the campground should have stepped in for you.
I would never camp at a place like that in the first place, and probably neither should you.
I avoid rv parks except maybe once a week for chores.
I avoid public campgrounds in the summer for the most part because working people show up on Fri and Sat nights and drink and have parties to all hours.
Try some boondocking.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One way to solve that kind of problem is to bring a chair over and sit down right in the middle of their party. When they take issue with it, tell them they took over part of your site so you're doing the same LOL. Seriously though, if it's not prohibiting me from doing what I want to do, I have no problem with my "Neighbors" infringing on my site some. If it gets to be midnight and the alcohol is causing them to be loud, then I might have an issue but otherwise it's never been a problem for us. As I get older, I really don't want to become one of those "Get off my lawn" people. It's difficult sometimes but I try real hard to get along with everyone

* This post was edited 10/21/19 10:56am by RobWNY *

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping etiquette
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS