Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Oops, Dodge just threw you under the bus...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Oops, Dodge just threw you under the bus...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure what your point is but the Ram/Dodge payload numbers do not determine if the Ridgeline is a real truck.
For the record I think the Ridgeline is a great vehicle for what it is, but I don't consider it a real truck either....LOL

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is one reason why I never understood all the hate on this site for the Tundra. Sure, it didn’t have the highest payloads of 1/2 ton trucks but it was always more than the Ram, yet no one complained about the Ram.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL! A few years ago, when I had a really lightweight pop-up truck camper (about 1000#), it was kept on an old mid-'90s RAM rust bucket just for a way to move it around - but the first time we placed it atop a late-model RAM, the truck squatted like a little girl crying in a corner.....LOL! We blamed the coil springs. Adding air bags to the springs made a HUGE difference - but when transferring the camper back to the rust-bucket, the old beast didn't budge.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my f150 is a low trim level and still gets me 1980 lbs payload.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

hypoxia

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

For the first time the latest commercials from Dodge are now calling their Half ton Dodge Ram's "Light Duty Pickups". The commercials don't verbally say so but the print on the screen is quite clear. I know it is just marketing but then again many of the Ram so called half tons come with well under 1,000# of payload so maybe they have a point.

Pardon my chuckling but after having a Doge Ram 4X4 crew cab guy tell me that my Honda Ridgeline was not a "Real truck" it is hard to keep a straight face. His "Real Truck" comes in at 977# of payload so maybe the new Dodge commercials are right. For the record... Ridgeline, Tacoma, Colorado, Ranger, Yukon and even the Frontier typically have more payload than the venerable Dodge Ram.
[emoticon]

Since I can flat tow a Ram, Chevy and Ford half ton I'm missing the point. I haven't seen any Honda, Nissan or Toyota trucks behind a camper.

Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe you will get a "Chuckle" out of this, the LAST year a Dodge truck was made was 2012.

I was called RAM for a while before that time but they Legally became RAM in 2013.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

This is one reason why I never understood all the hate on this site for the Tundra. Sure, it didn’t have the highest payloads of 1/2 ton trucks but it was always more than the Ram, yet no one complained about the Ram.

Hate ?? I've been a rv.net member since '03 and have never saw all this hate you refer to.
Now what I did see and still see is some Tundra owners bilge about the Tundra being equivalent to a 3/4 ton truck which it isn't. It is a good stout 1/2 ton truck with small 4xxx lb rawr which carries the load in the bed like rv folks do. More experienced truck owners pointed out the differences.

The Ram 1500 LD has been on Rams Body Builder website for several years so nothing new there.
Low payloads come from low GVWRs but isn't indictive of the trucks actual/legal/safe load carrying capacities.

We can go through any LDT makers weight specs and find a certain configured truck with a low payload number....or a high payload number.
What payload one sees on a certain brand dealer lot isn't indicative of all trucks of the same brand.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess Dodge/Ram {whatever} knew better than to rename their half ton "The New Dakota" LMAO.

"And yes he Ridgeline is a minivan with a pick up bed!" [emoticon] Excuse me?

My Rdgeline has 1,477# of payload, AWD, 18" wheels and the largest bed of any midsize truck. Oh, for the record Car and driver named the Ridgeline "Midsize TRUCK of the Year" for 2017, 2018 and yes... 2019.

The 6 speed trans works well along with the variable cylinder management which enhances performance on demand with its ECCO mode. The heavy duty transmission cooler is there for the bigger jobs and the Honda has the highest 5 Star crash ratings of any truck. Did I mention the 8 cubic foot lockable trunk located under the rear bed just forward of the dual action tailgate that drops down or opens like a gate?

I need a truck about 5 percent of the time and spend the remaining 95 percent enjoying the ride, handling and economy of a Honda Accord comfortable in the knowledge that I have a truck available anytime I need it and no, I will never be towing it behind my Class C. That role is taken by my 10' Cargo trailer and typically hauls either my Indian Springfield {Bike and trailer = 2,220# or my Polaris Rzr at 2,580# } on a tow capacity of 5,000.

[image]

[emoticon]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ We get it, you like your Ridgeline. They are cute. Nice mid size pickup. Bit lighter duty than say a Colorado but very usable for commuting, light towing/hauling.

Payload discussions here always go sideways thanks to the the folks who don't understand and those that refuse to and that's exactly where this is at.
Thought your first post was more in jest, but appears that your over justification for the Ridgeline has persisted.
This is akin to the 1/2T payload/towing vs 3/4 ton payload/towing.
Believe whatever makes you sleep well at night, but the Ridgeline is nowhere near as capable overall as a well equipped 1/2 ton and a 1/2 ton is not as capable as a 3/4 ton regardless of some "overlap" in ratings.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

very simply put, 1/2 ton = city truck grocery getter

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Oops, Dodge just threw you under the bus...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS