Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Really scary incident tonight - almost lost my tow!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Really scary incident tonight - almost lost my tow!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coincidently, we are on our way back from Alaska towing a Ford Expdition with a Blue Ox base plate and a Ready Brute tow bar. We towed this rig about 35,000 miles in total with no problems.

Saturday, we hooked up in the Badlands, SD and unhooked in Mitchel. I was shocked to find this when I unhooked. This is the "tab" which is inserted into the base plate to connect to the kunkle (not sure what the best term is for this part).

[image]

I have found a place in Sioux Falls take can get them Wednesday (I'll get 2 so I'll have a spare). My wife flew home yesterday since i will be here for 10 days to hunt pheasants. Having 2 vehicles and 1 driver conplicates logistics.
By the way, I also insert the pins from insude to outside so the pins don't ride against the cotterpin. I changed from the pins supplied which have a bent head as I found the bent heads round the hole in the kunkle. I use 1/2" bolts in which I drilled a hole for the cotterpin (and a big one).

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

chuckbear

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgnprof wrote:

Thanks for all the replies - appreciate the concern.

I've been towing - pop-up and now my car - for years, first time anything like this has happened. A little unnerving!

I'm also trying to figure out why the NSA (NOT Blue Ox as stated above) safety cable broke - my car is about 3300lbs and the cables are each rated for 4000lbs, I think...

NSA safety cables

I will definitely make a hitch pin change and will find a way to lock it up. This one was purchased at either Home Depot or WalMart - don't remember the specific brand.

Appreciate the suggestions!

While your car may weigh 3300 lbs, the stress on those cables will exceed that easily under the right circumstances. Chuck

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow!
Yes not likely the spring clip (I presume) came out on its own. Possible I suppose, but there’s millions of trailer hitches doing millions of miles with the spring clip in tact.
That said, one bad experience like that calls for more peace of mind.
Locking hitch pin is the easy solution.
Frequent inspections is the other solution.
I tow all those of trailers frequently and randomly (in construction). Hooked up an air compressor at one of my project sites last night, late evening, got interrupted during hooking up with a phone call. Pulled out of our yard and stopped under a light to double check as I thought I may have missed something. Sure nuff, didn’t latch the pintle down.
I’m not ocd about checking tire pressures daily and things of the like, but when towing/hauling, always give a 360 walk around visual inspection every stop. And that is why.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chuckbear wrote:

rgnprof wrote:

I'm also trying to figure out why the NSA (NOT Blue Ox as stated above) safety cable broke - my car is about 3300lbs and the cables are each rated for 4000lbs, I think..
While your car may weigh 3300 lbs, the stress on those cables will exceed that easily under the right circumstances. Chuck
I recall reading on an RV forum (maybe here on RV.net) where someone noticed their cables were only lightly rusted on the outside, but the inner strands were horribly rusted, causing a failure of some kind with the safety cable. Maybe salt spray got embedded and ate away the cable internally.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cross21114 wrote:

Coincidently, we are on our way back from Alaska towing a Ford Expdition with a Blue Ox base plate and a Ready Brute tow bar. We towed this rig about 35,000 miles in total with no problems.

Saturday, we hooked up in the Badlands, SD and unhooked in Mitchel. I was shocked to find this when I unhooked. This is the "tab" which is inserted into the base plate to connect to the kunkle (not sure what the best term is for this part).

[image]

I have found a place in Sioux Falls take can get them Wednesday (I'll get 2 so I'll have a spare). My wife flew home yesterday since i will be here for 10 days to hunt pheasants. Having 2 vehicles and 1 driver conplicates logistics.
By the way, I also insert the pins from insude to outside so the pins don't ride against the cotterpin. I changed from the pins supplied which have a bent head as I found the bent heads round the hole in the kunkle. I use 1/2" bolts in which I drilled a hole for the cotterpin (and a big one).
I noticed the same thing on my Demco tow plate, the center tang of the tow bar widened the receiver end of the tow plate. I would squeeze it parallel again with large vise grips. After a few hundred miles it would open up again. I did not want to work harden the steel and cause a failure so I added a 3/8 steel plate on either side for support which fixed the issue. I have towed the car about 100k miles with out further issues.

Jennifer Koper

494 Norman Street

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Such kind of incidents happened so far i heard last time! its time for all of us to get permanent solution.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Really scary incident tonight - almost lost my tow!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS