Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Cuts to the Senior discount coming?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cuts to the Senior discount coming?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thinking about the camping in NPS parks, we hardly ever do it since it's so hard to get in. Not so with NF and BLM cg and especially not COE cg

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The National Park Service has done this since 2009 when we visited Alaska. In June of 2009 they started charging additional fees for campsites that had electric/sewer charged an extra fee. As shown at Recreation.gov they charge extra for electric and sewer and (as we found out in 2009) the discount is only available on the basic fee. This was new in the summer of 2009 as we had made reservations several months before and got the discount on the whole campsite fee but when we wanted to add on a couple of days found that terms had changed and we wouldn't get the discount on anything but the basic fee. So this isn't really new since the NFS has been doing it for 10 years except they are talking about restricting the discount a little more than NFS. I just don't think it has been as noticeable since fewer NFS sites have additional amenities.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350 (Mothership)
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad (Libby)
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Rolin

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Opinion, that and a nickle will buy you almost nothing.

I purchased an item that indicated I will receive a specific benefit. I expect to receive the benefit I paid for. If they want to stop selling the item that is ok, but if it has been bought and paid for...then they should deliver.

Don't like privatization of our natural resources. Usually some rich persons make lots of money and we the people loose our shirts.

Just an opinion.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Why would it be different? They are eligible for the senior discount also. And just because they aren'ton SS, diesn't mean they aren't as cheap as all the other seniors.

Read it again. If they had to LIVE on SS, not the $174k a year for life they get now.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Senior discounts should be given out by net worth. My financial statement would get me a lot of free stuff. [emoticon]

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

accsys wrote:

The National Park Service has done this since 2009 when we visited Alaska. In June of 2009 they started charging additional fees for campsites that had electric/sewer charged an extra fee. As shown at Recreation.gov they charge extra for electric and sewer and (as we found out in 2009) the discount is only available on the basic fee. This was new in the summer of 2009 as we had made reservations several months before and got the discount on the whole campsite fee but when we wanted to add on a couple of days found that terms had changed and we wouldn't get the discount on anything but the basic fee. So this isn't really new since the NFS has been doing it for 10 years except they are talking about restricting the discount a little more than NFS. I just don't think it has been as noticeable since fewer NFS sites have additional amenities.

Fall - 2010, I believe or maybe 2011.
I recall when that happened in a NPS park when we checked in, I think it was Tetons, but not positive. That's when a vendor had taken over, and installed some W/E sites. The vendor had some sites no HU, some sites with the W/E. The sites with no HU were discounted, the sites with W/E were discount on SITE PRICE, but $8 added for W/E service, with no discount. The regular campsite posted fee was full price, plus the $8 fee if it had the HU.

The No HU sites were what remained after the vendor HU were installed, and almost all the no HU sites were too small for any reasonable size RV anyway. We took a no HU site, as we are a Truck Camper and can fit nearly anywhere. And, we don't care about HU ...

One thing that came of this, any reasonable sized TT or 5'er, or MH could ONLY fit in HU sites, so had to take the HU and the fee-add.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Why would it be different? They are eligible for the senior discount also. And just because they aren'ton SS, diesn't mean they aren't as cheap as all the other seniors.

Read it again. If they had to LIVE on SS, not the $174k a year for life they get now.

I still don't see how that would change their view. You think they DON'T use every senior discount available to them even with $174K a year? They will want the discount just as much as any other senior - whether in a huge class A or a popup.

The truth is they aren't the ones changing the senior discount - it's the USNPS. It's not the politicians, it's the bureaucracy.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Range Maggot Bob

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

I have no problem with charging for the extras.

Good for you. I do. I bought the card in good faith and pay my taxes. I'm tired of buying things and then having to buy "extras" to really have everything. Hmmmph.....

Range Maggot Bob

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Um... I take a different view on this. The fact is, more and more RV's have been sold in the last few years than ever before. All time new highs in RV markets have reached an unbelievable peak. There are definitely more RVers than campsites available. For the National Parks and such, this is a money maker. But as the baby boomers are now "booming" into retirement, own more RV's than probably any other "group", perhaps this is 'their' way to keep the revenue coming in.

Say 100 sites go for $25 a night. That $2500 a night. Now, if 100 "seniors" use those same sites at the discount price, say... $15 a night, that's now only $1500 for the same space, the same time, the same number of sites.

I may be wrong, but I don't think National Parks are in the "for profit" business.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 12:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Range Maggot Bob wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

I have no problem with charging for the extras.

Good for you. I do. I bought the card in good faith and pay my taxes. I'm tired of buying things and then having to buy "extras" to really have everything. Hmmmph.....

They should refund your ten bucks and make you happy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cuts to the Senior discount coming?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS