Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Cuts to the Senior discount coming?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cuts to the Senior discount coming?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV Travel Magazine

Looks like they want to cut the discount on upcharges to the camping fee. But the big problem is cutting the discount all together during peak season. Pay full charges all summer long?

Don't like it, now is the time to call your senators and congressmen:

House: (352) 732-1313

Senate: (202) 224-3121

Calls are the most effective but you can email them too, just write your own email don't use a form letter.

I'm not sure if this applies to Access Passes too.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no problem with charging for the extras.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I'm not a fan of the cuts, especially since I will start receiving them in another year. It might be time to change discounts from peak demand time to lower use time period. Passport America and private campgrounds have done this for years. If I'm offered a discount I'm going to utilize it.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Senior discounts are a privilege, not an obligation. I enjoy those when available, and don't worry about it when not. If reducing those helps maintain the parks, then I am all for it.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is pretty easy to make the argument that eliminating the senior discount on campsite fees is a good idea. Even if you ignore the economic need of the Park Service for revenue, there are valid reasons those discounts should be eliminated. Camping space in most national parks is limited and demand exceeds supply. The government giving preferential treatment for one class of citizens over another for such scarce resources is problematic to many. Furthermore, many people distinguish a vast difference between entry to a national park and the amenities within those parks. Is renting a campsite really that different than renting a canoe, or eating a meal or buying a souvenir inside that same national park? Why a discount for one service and not all the others? Are campers somehow a special class that need special treatment?
I know there will be many who use the "I've paid taxes all my life, I deserve that break" argument. There is no requirement for the Senior Pass that includes proving you ever paid a dime in taxes. Even if you spent your entire life on welfare, the card and discount is available. And as far as I know, paying a certain amount in taxes doesn't get you additional government benefits. If that was the case, why doesn't the government keep a running total of what each individual paid in taxes and when you reach certain thresholds you get to ask the government for special treatment. Say, once you have paid a total of $100,000 over your lifetime, the highway department plows your driveway for $5.00. $500,000 gets you $25.00 plane tickets from the Air Force and on and on.

delwhjr

TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Senior discounts are a privilege, not an obligation. I enjoy those when available, and don't worry about it when not. If reducing those helps maintain the parks, then I am all for it.

X2

2019 F250 Crew 4x4 6.2
2019 Rockwood UltraLite 2608BSD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see this thread growing some legs...

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the ideas have merit and should be implemented. Pay $10 or now $80 bucks for a pass to any and all Federal parks is a bargain that you earned simply by turning 62. Getting half off camping fees is a Bonus, getting N% off other services just because you’re old makes no sense. Limiting the discounts to lower usage times is a good idea. You don’t get happy hour (actually several hours) pricing at other times of the day. You don’t get senior menu prices on every menu item, and even then they are typically smaller portions.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Um... I take a different view on this. The fact is, more and more RV's have been sold in the last few years than ever before. All time new highs in RV markets have reached an unbelievable peak. There are definitely more RVers than campsites available. For the National Parks and such, this is a money maker. But as the baby boomers are now "booming" into retirement, own more RV's than probably any other "group", perhaps this is 'their' way to keep the revenue coming in.

Say 100 sites go for $25 a night. That $2500 a night. Now, if 100 "seniors" use those same sites at the discount price, say... $15 a night, that's now only $1500 for the same space, the same time, the same number of sites.

When "seniors" were not the pre-dominate camping group age, it was an incentive to help keep the campgrounds full. Better to collect $15 a night than nothing. So, the discounts were offered. Now that the demand for those same campsites, that were once empty years ago are being fought over, why not make the price the same for everyone, and eliminate the discount program based on "age".

Once baby boomers reach the time they are beginning to loose ranks due to nursing homes and death, the numbers will decrease. Campsite may not be filled to capacity with Millenialists or whatever group follows the Boomers. Those discount programs may return again.

I don't think those "senior" discounts was ever about serving humanity, it's always about keeping occupancy at 100%.

Just my opinion ... which probably doesn't mean very much here.

Note: I am a morbid skeptic! I'm a conspiracist. I still think our own gov't was responsible for JFK's assassination and they are covering up alien and UFO technology. I have never believed our own government has been "for" the people. They have always been for themselves, using the people for their own benefits and advantages, power, control, whatnot. So, it only makes sense to keep those campsite occupied. It's never been about serving the citizen, it's about padding pockets. It's business for them. And we pay for it willingly. (no problem with that, but the "intent" for the discount program ... in my opinion ... has never been for the consumer, it's all about having "some" money coming in, opposed to nothing at all). My opinion, you have the freedom to carry your own.

* This post was edited 10/20/19 09:53am by DutchmenSport *

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm far more concerned about privatization of the parks.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cuts to the Senior discount coming?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS