Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Reliable truck+lightweight TT RVing Setup
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Reliable truck+lightweight TT RVing Setup

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
otterslide

Toronto Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking for some lightweight truck+TT ideas. The TT has to have a toilet and shower, around 18-22ft.
I recently saw a Honda Ridgeline pulling a decently sized Jayco, looked around 20 feet. That seemed interesting, as I want the best gas mileage and the lightest combined weight.

I'm wondering what other lightweight setups there are that have worked well for people. My current car is Toyota Corolla, so I'm a bit leery about jumping to a V8. The Airstream 22 is quite light and looks amazing, but more than I want to spend.

And ideas of reliable lightweight truck/trailer combinations are appreciated. We are two people, both of us are not too tall so a lower ceiling is okay.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otterslide wrote:

I'm looking for some lightweight truck+TT ideas. The TT has to have a toilet and shower, around 18-22ft.
I recently saw a Honda Ridgeline pulling a decently sized Jayco, looked around 20 feet. That seemed interesting, as I want the best gas mileage and the lightest combined weight.

I'm wondering what other lightweight setups there are that have worked well for people. My current car is Toyota Corolla, so I'm a bit leery about jumping to a V8. The Airstream 22 is quite light and looks amazing, but more than I want to spend.

And ideas of reliable lightweight truck/trailer combinations are appreciated. We are two people, both of us are not too tall so a lower ceiling is okay.

Just about any F150, or 1500 series truck with the right equipment will do what you want. however. Do remember. It is NOT the weight that cost the MPG. It is the front wall of the traveltrailer. It stops a lot of air.
If you want MPG, you need to look at popups.

Having said that. there are many light weight travel trailers on the market. You just need to search dealers online, or go visit your local dealerships. All pretty much with the same quality. Except of course the airstream. but then you saw how pricey it is.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I recently saw a Honda Ridgeline pulling a decently sized Jayco...”

Pulling ability is only one consideration. Carrying ability (payload) is another. The tow vehicle must be able...more than able...to carry the people, stuff, hitch and tongue weight.

Find a TT first then match a tow vehicle to it. What others do may be unsafe or ruin their TV.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a Hoda Pilot, which is basically the same drive train. Great vehicle! We pulled our popup with it sometimes. Really about a 3000lb popup is all I'd want to pull with it. Gas mileage towing was rough, down around 14-15. It did get 24-25mpg without the camper.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 213k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't mind a really little trailer, a fiberglass "egg trailer" such as a Scamp might be a good option. I myself find the biggest models, the 19' fifth wheels, especially beguiling.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 10:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look into one of the 150/1500 with a 3.0 diesel. That will give you the best MPG solo or towing, and be a way better platform than any Honda.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 02:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otterslide wrote:

you need to forget about "best gas mileage". all gassers towing a Travel Trailer, will get between 8-10mpg towing. Doesn't matter size or weight, it's the trailer's frontal area that affects fuel mileage. if you go diesel, then you'll get 2-3mpg better.
a Ridgeline won't get any better mpg, than a F150 Ecoboost, towing a TT. maybe even worse.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We pull a 16 ft Airstream with a Toyota Tacoma. Great combination. I would look at the 19 ft Airstreams with a Tacoma. You should get in the mid teens mpg with that combination. Shop the used units.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look into one of the 150/1500 with a 3.0 diesel. That will give you the best MPG solo or towing, and be a way better platform than any Honda.

Problem with this is the extra cost of the diesel. It will take a long time to make up the difference with mileage savings.

"Reliable" is very subjective. You can get a lemon at any time. Find a truck within your budget that you are comfortable with. If you are thinking small, don't rule out an SUV-that can give you some possible extra versatility. You don't necessarily need to go to a V8 engine. The Ford F150 with the Ecoboost engine gives decent economy with good power. Someone suggested a pop-up. My only caveat with those (I speak from experience) is that folding the wet tent sides can be a PITA. The upside is they are relatively inexpensive and easy to tow.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

J herb

So. Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Problem with this is the extra cost of the diesel. It will take a long time to make up the difference with mileage savings.

"Reliable" is very subjective. You can get a lemon at any time. Find a truck within your budget that you are comfortable with. If you are thinking small, don't rule out an SUV-that can give you some possible extra versatility. You don't necessarily need to go to a V8 engine. The Ford F150 with the Ecoboost engine gives decent economy with good power. Someone suggested a pop-up. My only caveat with those (I speak from experience) is that folding the wet tent sides can be a PITA. The upside is they are relatively inexpensive and easy to tow.

Crowe is right on! I have towed our 17'Casita at 3,000 Lbs for over 17 years with mid size trucks and now a GMC van and average from 12 to 14 MPG. Have friends that tow their Casita trailers and like the SUVs and V6 engines.

J herb

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Reliable truck+lightweight TT RVing Setup
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS