Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Black Tank--Borax?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Black Tank--Borax?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Latner

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

I’m always amused that some of us go to great length to clean/super clean the black tanks just so we can poop in a clean tank, and do it all over again.

X2

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

I’m always amused that some of us go to great length to clean/super clean the black tanks just so we can poop in a clean tank, and do it all over again.

Same here. Been RVing for many years and never had a black tank problem. Also never used special TP, tank chemicals, GEO method, spray wands, black tank flusher, or any other tank cleaning routine. I just use lots of water when dumping.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Jim2007

Greeley, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.. I get the tank At least 3/4 full before dumping. Then when dumping I watch the site glass in the hose to determine if water is clear. If water is not clear add more water until it is clear.. Jim2007.

TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my black tank does not have a straight down drop.

I got a flexible wand from Wally world that did not break the bank and it zigs right down in there and does the job. has rotary nozzle on the end.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

LOL, you and me both. I never will understand it. Just a mystery of life for me I guess.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

soren

Lancaster County PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've gotten to the point, after two decades of RVing, that I use the toilet, occasionally watch the gauges, and see when it's getting close to full. I then close the grey valve and wait. The next day I dump the black, and chase it with a partial load of grey.

No Rid-X,Geo method,expensive blue stuff from the camping store, Ice, black magic, or ancient Chinese secrets. If the RV has been parked while snowbirding, and hasn't moved an inch,after a few months it will develop the dreaded "Mount Poosovious". I then take a wand that came with the rig, hook the hose to it, and give the tank a blast. The wand was free, it has a cool brass spinning head on the bottom, and for the once a year I need it, it works great. IF, and only if, it's a hot summer and things are getting funky in the black tank, it gets a shot of straight, dollar store bleach, every so often.

That's my story. No drama, no need for any fancy methods, techniques, or expensive chemicals. Poop, store, drain, repeat.

Tin-bender

Southern Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess everybody has the method that works best for them. So here is mine, 20 years, and 3 trailers, never a problem.

Dump black tank, flush hose with grey tank, hook up black tank flush (last 2 trailers) run for 5 -10 minutes, always suprising to see what comes out after several minutes of clear water.

Add 2-3 gallons of water to both tanks, throw in small hand full of Borax or White King D and a small amout of Calgon and drive home.

Never had an odor or compaction problem so I ain't changing anything!!
Tinbender

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Black Tank--Borax?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS