Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip report: High Country of the Eastern Sierra

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's our most recent TR -- ten days of dry camping and boondocking:

Blog post

And if you are pressed for time and just want the headlines, this is pretty much what that part of the world looks like on a cold, windy, late afternoon in autumn:

Click For Full-Size Image.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
15 REPLIES 15

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Dan,

As always - great images and a Perfect time of Year to be Out.

Thanks for sharing,

Bill
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine, that is interesting about the day length. But now I can't figure out why the trees change at different times from year to year?? Some years the third week in Sept., sometimes the first week in Oct. Should be the same date each year, I would think, but that is not what happens.

The other miracle is that the fall color is just a lucky accident -- the trees do not benefit from vivid coloration. This is unlike wildflowers, which use color as part of their campaign to attract bees and so forth.
About our trailer

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
fantastic trip report! I love the photo of the little trailer in the dark. You do a very good job of 'bottling the feeling' :).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Dan, small world for sure! Would have been even smaller if we were there the same day. ๐Ÿ™‚

It was my 3rd time there in the last several years. Have tried it a couple of times when it was full. I like the smaller CGs and especially those with a nice creek.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph, it's a small world! There are so many good campgrounds out that way -- and we chose the same little place with eleven sites?? What are the chances?

Very odd year for fall color -- much later than usual. Was it the wet winter? The warm temps? Random variation? Also, we found in several places that there was better color at 7500 feet than at 9500 feet, the opposite of the usual pattern.
About our trailer

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leaves on deciduous trees turn in response to day length (photoperiod) not temperture. That is their signal to stop producing chlorophyll and revealing the other compounds always present in the leaves.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Great pics of the best part of California! I spent almost 2 weeks there in Sept and crossed over Tioga Pass to the W side on Sept 28. Didn't see as much color as you did since the low 20s temperatures occurred after I left (which is why I left) :). Also stayed in Big Meadow CG on Sept 22. Nice CG.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Great photos and narration. TY.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A refreshing thread - thanks!

Scott

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the photos! I didn't get to take my usual Eastern Sierra fall trip this year, and your trip report helped to make up for the loss.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cal, we live in coastal Southern Calif, where it is always warm and sunny. So we actually look for "more interesting" weather when we are camping, just because it's a change from the usual!!
About our trailer

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
You sure pick the great places. Fantastic pictures. Don't know about your climate judgement however.
Cal

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful ๐Ÿ™‚

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great time to be out. I have two trips planned for October. Last year I camped in Yosemite in late October with a wall tent. We visited a remote stand of sequoia trees and saw one other person in 4 hours.