Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: how do you keep sewer tank clear
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> how do you keep sewer tank clear

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
rav

Full Timing

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/19 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

never use chemicals. I drain the tank, use the built in flush, close valve and let fill up for about 8 to minutes (yes I use a timer) then dump, flush and then add about 5 gallons to the tank. We do have a water softener so that helps keep the tank "slick", sometimes I will put some laundry detergent in the tank.

2016 Bighorn 3760EL
2015 F350
me, DW and Mattie dog

lots2seeinmyrv

Neither Here nor There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/19 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before our trip, we put about 3 gallons of water in the black tank with a Cup of Borax powder and a Cup of Calgon liquid and let it swish around on the way to the CG.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you use anything other than lots of water, try The Geo Method. On the road I do this once a month. On regular seasons twice a year.

DO avoid treatments with Formaldehyde. They leave a residue that messes with the sensors. It's not a coincidence that the company that sells these products (starts with C ends with O) also sells sensor cleaners.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I try to drive a few miles before I dump ,easy for me because I mostly dump at my home base .

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water is key. If you don't have the outside hose thread to put in water while you are dumping, does your bathroom have a window? If so...run a hose in and rinse from top down..if no window, walk a hose into the RV, into the bathroom and rinse, top down.

After you are done and buttoned up? put more water into the tank. More than a little...be generous. Whatever you flush down the toilet, will turn to liquid. No sludge.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been living in my rig for 3 years, use nothing but water, dump prior to moving on leave about 10 gallons of water in the tank until I reach my next destination.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't put solids in the stool unless absolutely necessary. Try to get sites not too far from the bathroom. Saves a lot of problems and worries. We use Thetford chemical for lubrication and odor but don't know if necessary.

Jayco-noslide

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's easy. Drink a lot of beer.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/19 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been sitting in one spot now for a hile. We use two or three toilet tank treatments. We have the built in flush system like many do and hen tank gets near full, we fill the gray water tank,which flushes the hose essentially.
Fill and drain black and let clean water flow for five minutes after it drains. Close drain, Put in two or three of gallons of water, factory says to put in about five release the gray water and let clean water flow for five minutes.gallons. tie
Not sure it is needed but before last time we drain, will add some soap and softener and maybe ice to two or less gallons or so of water. When we next settle for the night, next day flush again.
Being pro active. Hopefully it isn't needed though.

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/19 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use Walex Bio-Pak and Porta-Pak tablets. These keep the black tank contents dissolving fast and remove the odor. I then use the black tank flush after the final black tank dump to keep it clear.

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> how do you keep sewer tank clear
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS