Explorer
I have a class A, & I'm looking at a class B
Down sizing:(
Any info please?
14 REPLIES 14

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 190V '95 Dodge. there is a very active RT group on Facebook. I have 107K on mine and the garage put 5W30 Mobil 1 in by mistake 3 years ago. They offered to change it and I said I would try it to see if it ran through oil. It does not require any oil in 5000 miles and my mileage jumped to 16-17 with a 318 and driving 60-65. It is a lot smaller than my Mountain Aire was. My wife always said when I would die she would get a Roadtrek. She died 5 1/2 years ago and I got the Roadtrek. At 81 I am happy with it but still miss a large MH.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
We also moved from a Class A to a Class B. We have a 2001 Roadtrek 190, which is considerably smaller than the newer Sprinter-sized rigs. For us, it's just right.

The best thing for us is the spontaneity it allows. We drive it as a second vehicle as well as RV, so it gets used all the time. No more needing reservations, as we can go anywhere, park anywhere, and stay at any sized campsite. The only caveat I've heard about so far is multiple days at one site. If you travel and want to return, you'll want to put out some type of marker to save your site.

Hope you find what you want soon!
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

debandi
Explorer
Explorer
We down sized from a 40ft American Eagle to a 2006 Roadtrek with a sprinter model powered by Mercedes diesel. I am 6'3" and find sleeping to be a challenge some times but, overall very comfortable and easy to drive. Almost like a sports car.

We averaged 22 mpg on a 5000+ mile this summer.
Try them till you find one you can enjoy.

John
John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
fullmoonoversalem wrote:
That would mean getting rid of stuff and pulling a big trailer full of hobby stuff.

One couple that I met had a tiny TT that they used for storage of things like a canopy, tools, etc and then had an extra bed for guests and/or โ€œalone time.โ€

I've seen several people pulling cargo trailers for all the "stuff" that's fun to bring along while camping (bikes, a grill, kayak, etc) and now I'm having thoughts about a mobile "She-Shed".....LOL!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
We went from A to B and love it. We spent 5 months in it and were still speaking at the end of our trip. I could full time if we had the opportunity. That would mean getting rid of stuff and pulling a big trailer full of hobby stuff.

One couple that I met had a tiny TT that they used for storage of things like a canopy, tools, etc and then had an extra bed for guests and/or โ€œalone time.โ€

The cost of operating the B is so much better than the A. We can drive it anywhere. If I did anything else I would get one of those small C (B+?) like the View or Navion or the equivalent for more storage but could not park in our apartmentโ€™s parking lot.

Going โ€œstealthโ€ is easier. We did overnights in parking lots with no problems at times. I canโ€™t even get interested in Class A. motorhomes anymore, even those luxury models.
2017 Coachmen Galleria

omjones
Explorer
Explorer
I get about 15 down I 75 on the way to Florida at 60 - 65 mph.
1999 Ford 351ci packed for 3 months living.
john 'I am Canadian'

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
cdl2 wrote:
Any idea what kind of mileage a class B gets?
I think I saw 15 MPG??????

Depends on the platform used... length... gas or diesel...heaviness of driver's foot.

I've had 3 gas Class B's and got 15-19 mpg average.

Some of the diesel Sprinters owners report 18-23 or so.
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
cdl2 wrote:

That sounds about right? Our Transit gets around 18 mpg on the highway, but our conversion isn't very heavy and we only have a Fantastic Fan on the roof.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

cdl2
Explorer
Explorer

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling/sightseeing in a converted Transit cargo van (not fulltiming) and LOVE the nimblness and ability to go anywhere, including narrow city streets and get around in heavy traffic. (In our case, we needed to be stealthy because our condo rules only allow RVs for 24 hrs for loading/unloading; but a "van" is allowed) One of the biggest problems a "regular Class B" presented was not enough length on the beds for Ed (6'3"). So as you look, be sure to try everything for size. There are also many companies that will build to your specs: Sportsmobile has been around for ages and shows a dozen floorplans available on their website. Custom-built lets you pick which items are important to you; in my case, we tend to utilize RV parks, so we didn't need to waste space/money on a shower or generator. Utilizing a porta-pottie eliminates a black tank to dump. You will lose a TON of storage space going from an A to a B, but there are lots of people out there fulltiming in vans. My favorite website is www.faroutride.com who have given a detailed journal of their van conversion and journeys (Antoine and Isabelle are both engineers who have taken a few years off to travel Canada and the US, pursuing their love of mountain biking and skiing)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

cdl2
Explorer
Explorer
Shorter is good at our age.
She can drive & I can sleep, then I can drive & she can sleep.

omjones
Explorer
Explorer
Do you want to fulltime? It can be done and quite a few do it. If for travel
you'll find it very handy, no tode, park anywhere, just get gas and go.
But like Gaylord Maxwell said "You are always within shouting distance and frequently within striking distance" lol So you should like each other a lot.
John 'I am Canadian'

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
Tripalot wrote:
It will be shorter and less roomy.

:B
2010 Suncruiser

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
It will be shorter and less roomy.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)