cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

North North Carolina to Sevierville, TN routes?

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We will be staying at New River State Park in North Carolina. From there we start home via Tennessee.

Google maps shows the quickest route to be US 58/NC16 North up into Virginia to connect with I-81 W and on down to Sevierville, TN.

An alternate route would follow US 88/NC 167 to US 421 to US 321 to I-26 to I-81.

One reason Google Maps would suggest the route through Virginia is that provides for much more freeway driving. But I will not average that much more because I will NOT be driving the speed limit on the Interstate.

I have not given all the connecting roads on either of these routes but anyone who could respond helpfully would know the basic differences in the choice between them.

I am not anxious, but if anyone is really familiar with these routes I'd be glad to hear suggestions. I don't generally avoid mountain driving but most of my experience is with Colorado and points north in the Rocky Mountains. I've been over most of those passes.
12 REPLIES 12

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Your alternate route is a good idea. It's good road and will get you out of town quicker than going back up to exit 407. It's also possible to get on 321 in Maryville all the way to Lenoir City and puts you right at Melton Dam campground almost. Again good road. Granted, 168/129 back to 40 would be faster, but 321 is more scenic.

What ever you do padre have a wonderful time and enjoy the journey. Safe travels.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Good advice and good question.

Our route TO Sevierville will likely be on slow roads so, on the day we drop the clock back to standard time, we will leave early and plan for an arrival around 11:30.

Our route FROM Sevierville will be on Interstate all the way and just over 50 miles so our plans are to stay at the Melton Hill Dam Campground just past Knoxville. Figure we'll get out of the crowd for the night!

Am considering an alternate route following US 411 to TN 168 to US 129
to pick up I-140 over to I-40 W. The other would be straight through Knoxville which we have done a few times.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
The Apple Barn still has ample paarking for your rig. The sat. view of the Farm Kitchen still shows it being built but I have been there a few times. You would have to park at the hotel directly south of the restaurant or back further behind their main parking lot in an auxillary lot, its all part of the same 5 oaks complex but it would involve a football field walk to get to the restaurant.

We were in that area yesterday and traffic on a friday was very heavy. Weekends are quite busy so traffic is always backed up and slow but it does move. Defensive driving is always in order around here. If I may ask again, what are your plans for your overnight if you plan on leaving the area to continue on after your meal? It seems to me you will be taking a good amount of time to get here because those roads are slow going to get out of the area you are at and your arrival time could be mid to late afternoon when to get to Sevierville. If you are not in a hurry think about staying overnight in Sevierville. River Plantation Resort is a nice campground and it is close by both the Apple Barn and the Farm Kitchen.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Hope I'm not carrying this too far but one question does remain.

One other reason for stopping at the Apple Barn is that it looks like they have plenty of parking for a truck and fifth wheel. What about the Five Oaks? Would they have such parking? We often stop at Cracker Barrels just because they usually have parking for us.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
No we havve not ventured over that far as yet. Boone is usually the fartherst we go in that area. I understand about wanting to go to places you have been to before. It brings back good memories. I don't think you will be disappointed going back the the Apple Barn, it's still top notch. Be patient about the traffic around there too, it's fall after all.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks, Ken for the congrats and the suggestion about restaurant.

We have what may be a bad habit of wanting to go back to places that we have enjoyed so much at earlier times--when we were younger. There are two problems with that: 1> You can't go back! It is never the same and usually not as good as we remember it, and 2> You miss some new places that would be good experiences and form new memories.

But we are creatures of habit and I'm not sure it would not mean more to my wife for us to go right back to the Apple Barn --- But I'm keeping that door open for now.

Have you ever been down to Shatley Springs, NC?

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about 12 miles from Panther Creek and we go up there to camp when we just want to go campping. Love the park since they renovated the bath houses and put in 9 FHU sites.

While I know the Apple Barn is good may I suggest trying the Five Oaks Farm Kitchen restaurant this time? It's right accross the street from the Tanger Outlet stores complex not too much further down the road. Big red building on the west side of the road.

A big Happy Birthday to you too. At 87 and still going strong like you seem to be don't slow down and keep on doing everything you enjoy. I'm just a boy at 63.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Ken, we stayed in Panther Creek State Park at Morristown a few years ago. Sounds like you might be familiar with that area.

As you see, we are stopping for Sunday dinner at the Apple Barn in Sevierville. That's all, we will be continuing on our way -- on the Interstate in the afternoon.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Thank you, Ken and Jayco. Just what I needed.

I will be pulling a 34' fifth-wheel with a 2500 Chevrolet Duramax. We are not in a hurry and I've been towing rigs similar to this for 20 years. But I have never been on any of these routes I mentioned before. Unless there is an actual obstruction or an unpaved road (though I've been on a few of these) I'm pretty confident we can make it.

We're going back to Shatley Springs for the second time. It has been years since the only time we were there and we had not even started towing an RV at that time. We will also stop by the Apple Tree (?) or Apple Barn restaurant in Sevierville. I was trying to avoid a long drive on the Interstate.

Oh, by the way, I just celebrated my 87th birthday yesterday:C

I know, I ought not to be driving much less towing a fifth-wheel;)

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I have been around Boone and Blowing Rock and Spruce Pine and some points in between and from that experience you need to be careful taking 'side roads' because you can get into some steep grades and hairpin switchbacks on some of those roads. What are you in? 42 ft. class A? Pulling a 5th wheel? Be careful getting off the state roads. Is making good time important to you? Go up to 81 if it is.

Looking at the sat. view on Google maps 88 looks OK to take over to 421/321/26 and pick up 321 again out of Johnson City. Takes you to Newport TN and on into Sevierville. Where in Sevierville if I may ask? Might make a slight difference on how to come in. ...I live near where 81 comes into 40.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
US-321 from Boone to Johnson City is ok. Kinda slow but it's not really that far. Road has lots of curves and hills, nothing extreme but constant.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I've dragged my rolling condo all over the US and Google Maps has provided me with good routes overall. I do, however, check the routes with my Motor Carriers Atlas to ensure the roads are approved for the big-rigs (routes are highlighted). If you stay on the Interstate, US roads, and State highways you shouldn't have any issues. I've been on many of the roads you list and they were good roads.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE