cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rodent???

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
We recently put our 5th wheel in storage on a farm field in southern British Columbia. The owner warned us that mice were a problem, so we set out four trays of blue poison mouse pellets. A week later, we returned to find two of the trays completely empty, and a stash of the pellets in a corner of a pantry basket, and a dozen pellets in the underbelly underneath the upstairs bedroom. We inspected the trailer thoroughly, found a dozen mouse turds, and a small hole on the kitchen slide which we plugged with steel wool. We're now living in the trailer, and haven't found any dead rodents, so I assume it (they) escaped through the slide hole before we plugged. Would this have been a mouse? A rat? Do mice transport food to a hiding spot?
18 REPLIES 18

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use traps, pail with water and peanut butter spread down from top edge about 2 inches. Set this up just inside the door.
Cut two pails down some and set landing gear in the pail and then add antifreeze or oil etc.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
There were some naysayers about Tomcat bait. Not sure of their experience, but I use it with success to get rid of the roof rats we have around our house due to all the citrus trees around. I did have some mice in the house a few years ago, and used bait, traps and glue boards. Got only 1 in a trap and found 2-3 dead ones under the stove, near the bait. Glue boards didn't work, though I'd used them successfully about 30 years ago in my old house.

Lyle

Tomcat and Dcon baits can and do work, but other baits are much more effective in my experience.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
There were some naysayers about Tomcat bait. Not sure of their experience, but I use it with success to get rid of the roof rats we have around our house due to all the citrus trees around. I did have some mice in the house a few years ago, and used bait, traps and glue boards. Got only 1 in a trap and found 2-3 dead ones under the stove, near the bait. Glue boards didn't work, though I'd used them successfully about 30 years ago in my old house.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Take some time and look for any opening, large or small and fill it with this

Also build one or two buckets of death and place them outside the RV. You want to make rodents want to go where they smell food (peanut butter) instead of going into your unit.

The ones I built have tight snap on lids because I pour windshield washer fluid into the bottom (poisonous to wife's dogs) instead of plain water. That way it stays liquid all winter long.

Last winter I bagged more than 2 dozen mice. RIP varmints.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Glue traps and/or snap traps and plug everything that even could be an entry point. The blue pellets are just nasty poison and don't work as well.

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
Tvovโ€”I found the product locally and will set it out tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I use what tvov shows on his post. My 5er is in storage for the winter. For the last two or three years I have used that and I check the trailer every so often. I put two of them behind the rear wheels and the wheel covers hide them. After the first year of mice eating the blocks, I have found that there isn't mouse activity around the trailer. Knock on my head. I did find one mouse in the toilet. I think he was trying to drink the anti-freeze or wanted to take a swim in the pink stuff. I have no idea how it got into the toilet tho'.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I asked about mice control products on another forum and "Mouse Free" was suggested. Prior to that, we store ours inside at a place that has corn/soybeans inside as well (but they are now strong it outside in high bins) and in the 16 years of being there, problems only had 2-3 times mice got in. Seal up all holes in frame and underbelly. I thought I did, but guess I missed a couple. Inside is a **** shoot on what to use. Because I cannot get to coach while in storage, cannot set out traps to check. So I used a combo of things such as: drier sheets, moth cakes and rodent free smelly things. Like what's been said too, remove all food and hopefully wipe down storage areas of it. If mice do get in, it's a PITA having to wipe everything down w/ a germ killing product.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I would assume Canada has something similar:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tomcat-mouse-killer-refillable-station-16-x-1-ozblocks

Hardware stores, garden centers, etc usually have them. Simple black boxes designed to hold the bait.. allowing mice and rats into them, but larger animals can't get to the bait.

I prefer Ramik, or better yet One Bite, but you can use the Tomcat bait boxes with whatever bait you want.

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
"Avoid putting the bait in the camper - it will draw the rodents into the camper to get the bait. Use the outdoor bait containers (designed to prevent other animals from eating the bait). I put those next to the jack and wheels, where rodents can crawl up into the camper."

Tvov--what outdoor bait containers would you recommend? We are in Canada, so our products may be different but I'm sure I can find comparable items.

Good advice about not putting the bait in the trailer, and about the consequences of poisoned mice and their predators. I'm also amazed that the mouse had the energy to stash all that food in two different places.

Will also look up peppermint oil. Thanks, everyone.

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
I order peppermint oil by the pint from Amazon Much cheaper than local suppliers who consider it aroma therapy.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Lorne_Coultman
Explorer
Explorer
Someone told me to use Irish spring soap and they won't come around.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the PURE Peppermint oil soaked cotton balls. No MICE!
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
buy a product called fresh cab at a farm store or on e bay and peppermint oil NO MICE for years.