Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Campsite Sanitation - Beware
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Campsite Sanitation - Beware

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This reminds me of a high school biology lab we did years ago. The instructions were to go out and get bacteria transfer samples on adhesive tape from where ever you thought would be the best/worst locations. The samples would then be transferred to agar, a nutrient rich protein, then placed in an incubator for several days, and allowed to grow. The monsters that grew off common surfaces ranging from a locker room shower drain to a public drinking fountain (one girl even swabbed, . . . . ahhhhh, . . . . down there) were STUNNING when given the optimal conditions to grow.

People: We would all be long dead by now if our immune systems didn't work just by going about our daily lives. All you can do is stay as healthy as you can, take reasonable sanitary precautions, and hope for the best. When/if the super bug (google MRSA) finds you, it may already be too late.

Chum lee

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/19 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well...???? this is surely an interesting thread.

I guess I'm one of those disgusting slobs, at least at dump stations. I have never worn gloves. I do wash my hands when done dumping though and after putting everything away. That's the beauty of having easy access to an outside shower on the camper and leaving a little bit of water in the fresh water tank.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent 20 minutes reading this and feel nauseous from the graphic descriptions and rhetoric.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While On the subject of poo,there are people in S.Korea who believe it has medicinal benefits..

Funny what kind of crazy sh*t one finds on the net

https://youtu.be/74V4BOF5IAg

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/19 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everybody all together now, especially the women, bend over at the waist and reccch reeech reech ereeech barrrrr barrf barrrf. [emoticon]

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

I spent 20 minutes reading this and feel nauseous from the graphic descriptions and rhetoric.

Imagine how you'd feel if you got sick from all the diseases spread on here?

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

Love these threads, there's always someone who thinks sanitation is no big deal because they haven't died yet.

Not me man. I'd never eat a sammich in the porta potty!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/19 02:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RandACampin wrote:

I really dont see the problem. If you hadn't seen it you would never know either.

Doesn't mean it didn't happen.

The problem could be: exposure to raw sewage could result in unwanted sickness or disease for the exposed individual.

Just Google: Human exposure to untreated sewage.

Or if you are a pet person and your Fido walks through the raw sewage and then walks through your RV and hops into bed beside you.....well ......you might as well share a toilet seat with a stranger before the paperwork is completed.

Think about it.

Sanitation, like others have mentioned, is a good practice to add to one's routine.

Lakeside

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/19 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Ride S40T wrote:

In hindsight, know I should have scooted over there and said something.

Confronting the person would have done absolutely nothing except raise your blood pressure. They were part of the 'all about me' society and anything you said would have been ignored.

Sanitize everything before you hook up when at a new site. Most people are not hogs, but......

I’ve never met anyone who rants about the “all about me society” that isn’t “all about me” themselves.

Ignorance can be corrected. Stupidity can rarely be corrected. How do you know which one you’re dealing with if you don’t at least try to to help?

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WE have lots of large COE lakes in my state....some were built in the '40s/50s and 60s.
Back then we dumped the kitchen/bathroom sinks out on the campsite.
later as common sense prevailed COE had bacteria tests ran on many of the older campsites and found extremely high feces and foods bacteria levels. Result was thankfully no more dumping anything. Some older sites were closed.

I and fellow campers had a altercation with a blue tote dumper. We were leaving and just pulling up to the dump station. Good lord turdz/paper/female napkins/etc was running down the middle of the site and road. I asked the guy if he was going to clean his mess up....course he says to mind my own business. Nearby campers got in on the action. They followed him to his campsite and others called county health folks and got the camp mgr/park rangers involved.
The blue tote guy had to pay for a haz-mat clean up. He actually tried to leave but two county sheriff deputies put a stop on his leaving.
That was one time zeros like the blue tote guy got caught and had to pay.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Campsite Sanitation - Beware
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS