Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Where do you find water
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Where do you find water

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At least in the west, ask before filling at a public campground. Many have limited potable water access and that water needs to supply every one staying in the campground, not just one person's 100 gallon tank.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/19 04:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We carry a couple extra 5 gallon "water cooler" bottles. That's our drinking and wash water. Easy enough to haul and carry, and more durable than clear plastic jugs. Many Walmarts and grocery stores now have bottled water refill stations, but you can also refill at a well or spigot without needing a thief attachment.

• 2005 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C (was a three-time Jayco owner)
  • 2012 MasterTow Dolly pulling a 2003 Jeep Liberty (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango, Honda Odyssey...)
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, plus 130W solar and Honda EU2000i twins for backup

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lane hog wrote:

We carry a couple extra 5 gallon "water cooler" bottles. That's our drinking and wash water. Easy enough to haul and carry, and more durable than clear plastic jugs. Many Walmarts and grocery stores now have bottled water refill stations, but you can also refill at a well or spigot without needing a thief attachment.

We have (6) 3.5gallon waterbrick "jugs". They stack real nice under the tonneau cover, and are interlinked.

[image]

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much. We plan to be gone for most of the winter and spring so our tank wont last that long.

Our Road Less Traveled

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't strictly boondock. We mix it up. We may go a week boondocking then hit an RV park or St park where we can dump, refill and top off the batteries.
If we are between boondocking spots we fill the fresh water when we dump using the potable water.

was_butnotnow

Fulltime: Emery, SD

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have stopped at rural fire departments and asked if I could get water.

Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle Hitchitch.com
Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

was_butnotnow

Fulltime: Emery, SD

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have stopped at rural fire departments and asked if I could get water.

doxiemom11

Somewhere between MI and TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Arizona, there are water kiosks outside gas stations, grocery stores, Walmarts etc where you can fill gallon jugs for 25c or the large 5 gallon jugs for $1. Some areas do not have tap water that is very good, therefore the kiosks. I just used google to find them as we moved around.

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxiemom11 wrote:

In Arizona, there are water kiosks outside gas stations, grocery stores, Walmarts etc where you can fill gallon jugs for 25c or the large 5 gallon jugs for $1. Some areas do not have tap water that is very good, therefore the kiosks. I just used google to find them as we moved around.

The water in Arizona, especially along the Colorado River corridor, is so heavily mineralized you cannot drink it. Even showering is like getting sandblasted. So taste the water first to see if you even want it in your tank.
We have a double filter system and I replace the filters about every two weeks in Arizona.

Drinking water is bottled or from the kiosks. Tank water is for showering and toilets. We don't even wash dishes with tank water.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/19 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a bit late to this thread...

Finding water is one of the things I do worry about a little when on longer trips, when going to places I haven't become familiar with.

I can always find water, but the trick is finding water while the trailer is in tow. Most of the suggestions so far for locating water have been good. But may not be convenient to pull up with a trailer.

So I make a habit of having one or two of these 7 gallon aqua-tainers in the truck. While the trailer is left in camp, and we are out exploring in the truck, we'll find water easily. And grabbing 7 or 14 gallons in jugs always goes over well with the locals. Filling a trailer tank might not be so agreeable, when they have no idea how much they are giving. So we just keep those jugs filled whenever the opportunity arises.

Then I rigged up a little platform to hold the jug while it drains into the tank. Folds up and stores in a compartment. Others use a 12v pump and I'm sure that works well too.

[image]

[image]

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Where do you find water
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS