cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want something different!

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
If I owned a restaurant I would call it Something Different. We sell no burgers!
I'm tired of burgers, and chicken and meatloaf, and fried taters, and not ripe green beans, and flat maters, and everything else.
Can't find fish inland as good fish is 23.00 to 25.00 a lb minimum.
I haven't eaten rabbit in a long time. Don't even see them often anymore. Squirrels and Venison are good but we're RVing and not much opportunity to hunt them.
Even all vegetable meals sound good if we could find ripe, quality produce.
We have eaten enough at Cracker Barrel to pay of the national debt!
But now they have been bought aqain and raised prices and the green beans are full of sticks and stems, one out of two visits and lack any flavor except what is added. And they quit serving root beer in the frosted mugs and several old favorite dishes.
So I want something different, that we cook or some restaurant cooks for us.
15 REPLIES 15

JasseJackson
Explorer
Explorer
Try!!))

JasseJackson
Explorer
Explorer
I found really interesting recipe!
Baked Cauliflower Buffalo Bites
Healthy and tasty!

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Carry good knives and cooking equipment and you should never run out of good food. We pick up a small steak or chicken breast, thin slice it, stir fry with onions, peppers, and eat it on a fresh hard roll. Tastes great. We rarely take more than 10 minutes to cook a delicious meal and spend about $5 for the two of us.
Use your imagination and get creative.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
trekkar wrote:
When you travel the country, why not try the local foods? Small, mom/pop places are often hidden gems for 'something different'

I couldn't agree more. We generally try to find the Mom & pop bar & grills. Always in the mood for a really good burger.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
First don't look for spring veggies in the fall unless you get frozen cause you will be disappointed. In fall, we look for squash, Delicata is my new favorite and we have it often. Also fall and winter are soup time, and I make a soup at least once a week. Curry, Gumbo and one pot meals are also great foods for the RV. Not to long ago someone posted a great Baked Potato Soup recipe here and its been a staple ever since. There are so many great recipes out there, the only time we might get bored with a meal is when we get to the bottom of that soup pot and had it for a couple nights in a row.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
When you travel the country, why not try the local foods? Small, mom/pop places are often hidden gems for 'something different'. The same goes for cooking yourself. Buy local ingredients and try something different. There are many recipe sites out there to give you ideas. Cook it outdoors; it normally tastes better anyway!
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

JasseJackson
Explorer
Explorer
Try Baked Cauliflower Buffalo Bites https://greenann.com/recipe/cauliflower-buffalo-bites/
Like Healthy Chips!))
Really tasty!

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Get creative. Invent something.

I wanted to try something new on my last camping trip. Bought a bag each of lentils, brown rice and split peas. Tossed some from each bag in a kettle, added a little garlic and ham base and sprinkled in some herb mix (Penzey's Mural of Flavor). Turned out so tasty, I make it for myself every couple of weeks.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Since you are on the road travelling, why not start following the Dutch Oven groups? Learn some new dishes and methods or, start researching food festivals and visiting them? festivalnet

DOUBLE DITTO!!!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
big red ??????????????

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
sell water no flavor or calories

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well you kind of ruled out all the meat groups. However there is a thousand ways to cook Chicken, from Woking to baking. Or just stir frying in a skillet.

And you can Wok beef, broil, skewer. Nothing better than stir frying beef, or Chicken with peppers, and onions, one a bed of rice, or potatoes, or the rice cooked, and stirred into the mix in a Wok.

Fact is. You can cook everything camping that you can at home. and we NEVER cook inside while camping.

BTW. Frozen vegies are very fresh when cooked. Just like fresh picked. Try it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are on the road travelling, why not start following the Dutch Oven groups? Learn some new dishes and methods or, start researching food festivals and visiting them? festivalnet

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
I think you need to move to the country.

& possibly to a place 100 Km from salt water. Though granted when I lived near salt water, neighbors who fished in fresh water streams would give me fish in exchange for the worms I gave them from my garden.

:@
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006