Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Built-in microwave sounds sick
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Built-in microwave sounds sick

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
KATOOM

Northern California

Senior Member

Joined: 01/03/2005

View Profile



Posted: 10/14/19 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My built-in Microwave in my 2005 trailer recently started sounding sick. It sounds like its slow to startup and the microwave light inside goes dim. It still works but has the appearance and sound of loosing power somewhere.

I thought it was because of my weak trailer batteries, which I fixed, but it still does it. Even if I'm connected to shore power or the generator is running.

I have a voltage gauge plugged in one of the outlets and when the microwave is on it plummets into the red.

The convertor is a 60 amp Progressive Dynamics with the Charge Wizard.

Is there something I should be looking for?

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

Senior Member

Joined: 06/05/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/14/19 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have a 14 year old microwave. May be time to replace it.


Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

KATOOM

Northern California

Senior Member

Joined: 01/03/2005

View Profile



Posted: 10/14/19 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no problem replacing the microwave.....as long as it needs to be replaced. Spending money on a new micro just to find out that wasnt the problem isnt what I want to do.

jfkmk

NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 10/28/2011

View Profile



Posted: 10/15/19 03:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like the microwave going bad. Pull it out and plug it into your house to test it.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/28/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/15/19 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your batteries have absolutely nothing to do with your microwave. It is 120 volts. Run an extension to it and see if anything changes. Plug should be in a cabinet next to the microwave. Micro should be on it's own circuit. Pull the outlet out of the wall and check the connections. Check the wiring in the circuit breaker box for loose connections. check voltage with a real volt meter. Not red lights.


2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

sgfrye

north carolina

Senior Member

Joined: 06/27/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/15/19 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfkmk wrote:

Sounds like the microwave going bad. Pull it out and plug it into your house to test it.


x2

keep it simple when it comes to trouble shooting

rhagfo

Portland, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 07/06/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/15/19 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sgfrye wrote:

jfkmk wrote:

Sounds like the microwave going bad. Pull it out and plug it into your house to test it.


x2

keep it simple when it comes to trouble shooting


If it is failing think about replacing with Convection/Microwave.


Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"


Roger10378

Goodrich, MI.

Senior Member

Joined: 05/29/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/15/19 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

Your batteries have absolutely nothing to do with your microwave. It is 120 volts. Run an extension to it and see if anything changes. Plug should be in a cabinet next to the microwave. Micro should be on it's own circuit. Pull the outlet out of the wall and check the connections. Check the wiring in the circuit breaker box for loose connections. check voltage with a real volt meter. Not red lights.


X2


2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

miatared

Whitby, Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 08/18/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/15/19 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

If it is failing think about replacing with Convection/Microwave.

Only issue if you do that is to check your circuit, most combo microwave/convection need a 20A circuit.. not a 15A.

I found that out....

midnightsadie

ohio

Senior Member

Joined: 01/07/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/15/19 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

try it in the house,if it sounds bad ? wal mart has a bunch of them. most are not repairable. IF you take it apart. be very vary full theres things in there that bite.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Built-in microwave sounds sick
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS