Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: toilet treatment for black water tank
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> toilet treatment for black water tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
stargirl96

Weatherford, OK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/19 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a perpetual problem of black water tank indicator showing it's full even after emptying tanks. From what I've read, I think sensors may not be working properly for a variety of reasons. Just purchased a small container of Starbrite toilet treatment to help with odors and keep drain valves from sticking. Any one ever use this product, and does it have to be put in just before using RV? Right now my Jayco is sitting in our driveway and we may not be able to use it for one or two weeks.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put 5 gals of water in the tank and add any take treatment you whish, Follow the direction on the package.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We put a couple cups of dish sop in holding tank along with Thetford Campa-Chem.
I believe the dish soap does more then toilet chemical.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/19 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

We put a couple cups of dish sop in holding tank along with Thetford Campa-Chem.
I believe the dish soap does more then toilet chemical.

This and you should make sure there is plenty of water in the tank, drive around awhile to agitate the solution. Let let it set for the entire time you’re NOT using the RV.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put SeeLeval gauge system on the tanks of our mhs. and don't worry about rinsing/cleaning the tanks.

Dusty

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/19 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fill three quarters full with water, drive around, dump. Repeat. You’ll be fine.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/19 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All you need to do is empty the tank, flush it the best you can. Then add about 10 gallons of water, enough to cover the bottom of the tank, add a half cup of Dawn Dishwashing liquid down the toilet and go for a 10 mile drive. When you get back, empty the tank.

Now... do this every time you leave a campsite, and 1) your tanks will never smell, 2) your tanks will always be clean, 3) your sensors will work better. No need to change them. 4) Dawn is a lot cheaper than RV black tank deodorizers and cleaners. Actually, you can use them, that's ok if you want. The real cleaning is the agitating of the water in the tank when on the road. It cleans off anything caught or dried on the sensors. It's really just that simple. I don't know why folks don't want to do this. Just dumping a chemical into the tank and it sits there won't clean off those sensors at all. On the other hand, more "gunk" will just stick to them. Water, go for a drive, let the water pulverize the inside of the tank, and dump immediately. All good stuff!

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 03:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never let your tanks sit empty, and most chemicals are snake oil that cover up odors only.

We do 5 gallons of water after dumping (Home Depot bucket x 1 or my wife's mop bucket x 2), and the sloshing action while driving is enough to prevent buildup anywhere.

• 2005 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C (was a three-time Jayco owner)
  • 2012 MasterTow Dolly pulling a 2003 Jeep Liberty (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango, Honda Odyssey...)
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, plus 130W solar and Honda EU2000i twins for backup

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Us seasonals don't move ours. The chemicals are not snake oil. They have been working for many many years. (50) that I know of. I use the orange Camco packs form WM. (think Tide pods) Sensors do and will fail. You will learn when the tank is full. The toilet will Burp back at you when flushing. I just Drain the same day every week with no problems in 4 years. We can go 10 days if need be. You will also be able to see down the toilet if it is straight over the tank. 5 gals of water and a chem treatment after you drain and a full bowl of water when you flush the poop.

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on the sensors you have for the tank. If they are in tank contacts anytime solids or paper hangs up on them they will show the tank is full. You can use every magic elixir, snake oil, spray accessory know to man and the monitor will work until something hangs up on the sensor again. Which usually does not take very long.

To save some long term aggravation, turn off the pump, push flush lever and look in toilet with flashlight, what you should see is black water tank level. Flashlight held up to fresh water tank will also show level.

If you have external sensors, usually a strip of what looks like foil, then you have another problem. If you wish to add external sensors look up Seelevel tank monitors.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> toilet treatment for black water tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS