cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sumo Springs

gdweb
Explorer
Explorer
See some people are putting sumo springs on axles of their 5th wheels. wondering could that make a difference in handling. weren't they designed to help keep truck from squatting when loaded.
SEMPER FI

Gary & Diane
Ky
2020 F250 King Ranch 6.7l FX4
2013 Sundance 3270res
7 REPLIES 7

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
gdweb wrote:
See some people are putting sumo springs on axles of their 5th wheels. wondering could that make a difference in handling. weren't they designed to help keep truck from squatting when loaded.

I put Timbrens. Same principle. Some say the Timbrens are better for towing on trucks. And sumos are better for Motorhomes.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

drb1251
Explorer
Explorer
I had two rear leaf spring failures. The first was out in Utah in 2017 and now on a local drive. I ordered two replacement sets from etrailer. China made and morride shackle kit. See how this holds up.

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Install was simple , the ones I bought came with everything in the kit , also bought them from sumo got the to come off the listed price some, donโ€™t remember the part number, still have the box but not home now

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
Busdriver wrote:
Put them on mine, smoothed the ride of the fith wheel , personal I feel they are better than shocks, mine are only compressed about one half of inch setting still

What kit or part # worked with your rig and was there much issue with the install?
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5
2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with most options + 17.5 wheel & tire combo

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I can see the need with torsion suspension on a trailer as they start to sag but in some cases they do put more bounce in std leaf spring suspension.
Much depend on the suspension age/type on the trailer.

They will help squat on any type suspension.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Put them on mine, smoothed the ride of the fith wheel , personal I feel they are better than shocks, mine are only compressed about one half of inch setting still

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Only reason I could see to put them on a FW suspension, is if you are over loading it, past the GVWR. Yes, they are better served to level the TV. For improved handling of FW, adding shocks would make more sense, if not already installed.

In most cases if you over load the FW suspension, you will likely be over the OEM tire rating also.

Jerry