cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Those with portable surge protector

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
While plugged in at your home do you always use your surge protector?
I can see why to always use at campgrounds because of lots of things there. High demand on power causing low voltage- high voltage-bad wiring-etc etc. But at home those are not near as likely to happen. Just curious what other do.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate
33 REPLIES 33

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
No offense, but I don't think they are too far out of line if they felt that drilling a hole in their case was a bit much. From what I've seen the wiring is pretty straightforward without drilling holes.

FWIW, why did you drill a hole in the case?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hard wired Progressive on mine and it wasnโ€™t able to stop a surge. It burnt the wires coming right out of the box. Not only would they not honor the warranty because I drilled a hole in the box form my solar, they wouldnโ€™t even answer my original question and would not engage any further conversation. Thatโ€™s the part that really PISSED ME OFF.
Moral of the story, it only seems to be good for high or low voltage alerts.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
cougar28 wrote:
While plugged in at your home do you always use your surge protector?
I can see why to always use at campgrounds because of lots of things there. High demand on power causing low voltage- high voltage-bad wiring-etc etc. But at home those are not near as likely to happen. Just curious what other do.

It would seem some of the posters are of the opinion you are asking if you use your portable surge protector for surge protection *INSIDE* your "sticks and bricks" HOUSE (home).

While AT your home - why not use it for your RV - just like you would at a campground?

I've never experienced a surge event AT at campground - but I have had same happen at my "sticks and bricks" - relatively new home, major power company. Power (utility) company had power outage. When they powered back up (on) - surge cost me a fairly expensive electronic device. Lesson learned - use individual surge protectors for same IN YOUR HOME - (or whole house protection at your electrical panel).

As already noted: RV surge protectors -no matter what kind, including PI - will *NOT* protect your *RV* from *LIGHTNING* strikes!..:( Thunderstorms, lightning potential: Disconnect from pedestal (as in "unplug").

:C

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
I use ours 100% of the time, no matter where we are parked
After all is that not what it is for?

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a whole house surge suppressor in our breaker panel at home and also use the portable surge suppressor at all times. The portable suppressor is in the utility bay attached to an extension cord so always gets used when the extension cord is plugged in.

Lost a minor amount of electronics years ago at home when the utility had a 6kV line fall on the low voltage line. Added a whole house surge suppressor soon after.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'm missing the down side to using the surge protector all the time? Mine is plugged into it 24/7 for the last 11 years no matter where I power up.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Jennifer_Koper
Explorer
Explorer
I need this product as usually last many days and using also.
but how I can properly maintain uninterruptible power supplies?

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
12th Man Fan wrote:
I use mine at home.
A lightning strike is just as likely here as anywhere.
X2 - and why not use it at home? Gave me a chance to check the output codes against the instructions - just to get familiar with them - use progressive industries products.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

I have a - Clicky that I keep in my bucket with my connector,

I also have a cheaper version - clicky . That I leave plugged into my shore outlet at my house..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
We do not use the external power monitor when at home. We have a whole house surge protector.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for your reply Scott, I trust your advice! I will unplug during future thunder storms. I've been lucky so far, no need to push it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
ScottG wrote:
When ever an electrical storm is predicted, I unplug the RV. That is much safer than having it plugged into anything.

When at home, and thunder/lightning starts up, I open the breaker to the RV box outside, the one in the panel in the house. I also have a breaker in the box outside, but I think either being opened will protect me from lightning. Tell me, if I am wrong, and should actually be unplugged from the outdoor box.

Jerry

Opening a breaker wont give much protection. Lightening can easily jump the open switch.
Think of it this way, if lightening can jump for miles in the sky, that extra 1/4" wont help much.
Same goes for these surge protectors. They are meant for tiny, very shot term spikes. Even the inudtrial SP's will be blown to pieces with a nearby lightening strike (I've seen it).

Cheers,
Scott

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
ScottG wrote:
When ever an electrical storm is predicted, I unplug the RV. That is much safer than having it plugged into anything.

When at home, and thunder/lightning starts up, I open the breaker to the RV box outside, the one in the panel in the house. I also have a breaker in the box outside, but I think either being opened will protect me from lightning. Tell me, if I am wrong, and should actually be unplugged from the outdoor box.

Jerry

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine is installed. (Same with my autoformer) and yes I'd use it at home

Ad the neutral open at home once. cost me a computer power supply, several light bulbs. and later I had the power company mis-wire cost me the above plus all my surge strips (Sounded a bit like a fireworks display in the basement) and the blower motor on my furnace.

I'd use a surge protector on the RV at home.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times