Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Jeep towed discharged when towing. This is new.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Jeep towed discharged when towing. This is new.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
allbrandauto

maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

note the motorhome has to be running

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/19 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first thing you need to do is check/verify that your Jeep has a steering wheel lock. If it does, you need to have the switch in the "ACC" position to unlock the steering (Jeep, in their infinite wisdom, removed the "OFF, not locked" position from the switch after 2006 or 2007).
If there is no steering lock (I do not remember what year they stopped installing them), there is no need to leave the switch in the "ACC" position, no matter what the Book says. It seems the writers of the Book didn't keep up with the changes made in the vehicle!
To make it easy to verify the steering lock (or lack thereof), jack up the front wheels, both of them, with the parking brake set. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and remove the key. Now, try to turn the steering wheel lock to lock and back to center. If you can, you do not have a steering lock, and you do not have to leave the switch in the "ACC" position when towing.
If the wheel stops after 1/4 or 1/2 a turn, and you can not move it until you insert the key and turn the ignition ON, you have a steering lock, and you must put the switch in the "ACC" position to tow the vehicle.
If the lock is installed, removing the pin is a fairly easy job for a good mechanic. Google it. Once that is done, the switch position problem goes away, forever.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

RJL

Manahawkin, New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/19 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, thank you all for the help and wisdom. We made it to our destination, only 195 miles today on our last leg of our 1300 mile journey. I charged the Jeep all night to 100%. Stopped for gas and it started no problem. I don't think my steering wheel locks, I can move it about as much with the key out as in the acc position with the engine off. The only cigar lighter that I plug the BB in is constant on, so I wouldnt have to turn the key in acc position for that plug to be hot. I'm here in SW Fla for 5 weeks, gonna pick up a volt meter and poke around on the MH and check the Jeep's battery at the local autozone. I checked my records and looks like I put this battery in January of 2018, so not quite 2 years.

If it's a fuse any idea on which fuse and on which vehicle?

Again thank you.

Bob

* This post was edited 10/14/19 07:43pm by RJL *

2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
1996 Ford F250 XLT 4x4-work in progress
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body.

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely not being charged by the motorhome.

For troubleshooting, this is a quick and dirty way to check the wiring.

Start the motorhome. With the cable disconnected, check the voltage between Pins 1 and 4 as shown in the diagram below. Should read ~13.5 volts. If not, there should be a fuse inside the motorhome engine compartment fuse block identified as "towing" or similar.

[image]

If so, then the problem isn't on the motorhome end.

If you're using a Roadmaster 6 pin connector, here's how it is wired:

[image]

At the connector on the Jeep, check between Pins 2 and 5. You should read about 12.6 Volts. If not, there should be a fuse inside the engine compartment near the battery going to the Roadmaster connector.

If both of these are fine, check the wiring on the cable that connects the motorhome to the Jeep.

FWIW, I just recently added the charging wiring to our Jeep. The Roadmaster EvenBrake 9400 would drain the Jeep's battery after a few hours. Now after driving 10+ hours, no issues at all. I put the fuse right at the battery, and identified it with a label.

Good luck!

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Note that on Ford trucks there is no 12V to the 7 pin unless the key is on so keep that in mind when your checking for voltage.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

RJL

Manahawkin, New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thats some great information Robert and Scott G!! Thank you very much. Gonna hit Sanible tomorrow and mess with the MH tomorrow evening.

I'll be sure to ask many more questions as I move forward with my diagnosis. I'm a parts changer, can fix almost anything, IF you tell me whats wrong. The diagnosis part, not so much.

JimR 1

Brandon, South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/19 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RJL

Go here to the Jeep Forum and ask the question some one there may be more up on this.

Jeep JK Wrangler Technical Forum

JimR

RJL

Manahawkin, New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2manytoyz wrote:

If so, then the problem isn't on the motorhome end.

If you're using a Roadmaster 6 pin connector, here's how it is wired:

[image]

At the connector on the Jeep, check between Pins 2 and 5. You should read about 12.6 Volts. If not, there should be a fuse inside the engine compartment near the battery going to the Roadmaster connector.

If both of these are fine, check the wiring on the cable that connects the motorhome to the Jeep.

FWIW, I just recently added the charging wiring to our Jeep. The Roadmaster EvenBrake 9400 would drain the Jeep's battery after a few hours. Now after driving 10+ hours, no issues at all. I put the fuse right at the battery, and identified it with a label.

Good luck!

Robert. Sorry for the confusion. Are you saying at the connector on the front of the Jeep I should be getting power readings with a multimeter? I picked one up today at Walmart, first time ever using one. I messed around with it a bit to get a feel for it. Tested the Jeep battery, with the Jeep off and got readings of 12.6, running 13.8 or so. I then tested the receptacle on the front of the Jeep, with it off and then running. Nothing. I also don't see a fuse anywhere in the engine compartment that's been added on. I haven't checked the MH yet, its in a storage facility a few miles away. Probably Sunday as tomorrow we're gonna get rain from a tropical storm moving up through the Gulf.

Thanks,

Bob

RJL

Manahawkin, New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK. So I checked the voltage on the MH with it running at the 7 pin outlet, read 13.5 or so. Connected the charging cord to the MH, checked the end of the charging cord at the 6 pin connector, same power reading, 13.5 or so. Started the Jeep, tested the battery, read 14.5 or so, connected the cord to the Jeep, no change on the Jeep end. I'm assuming it's a fuse at the Jeep end now. Now Just to find it.

I feel I'm on the right path now.

Thank you.

Bob

imgoin4it

Alamogordo, NM USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you do not have to and should not leave the key in the ignition. I have a 2017 wrangler and the book in the car says to do same as you said. . Reading the fine print that comes with Jeep says the complete user manual is on line. The “real” on line manual is different. There is no steering wheel lock so the ignition is left off and the key is removed. I raised he double lwith Jeep over this when I first purchased it butThey did nothing and did not care. This is the third Jeep I have towed and every one was different. Not sure if yours is like my wrangler but it’s worth checking. On edit I have never had a charge line to any of the jeeps I’ve towed and have left the Jeep connected for as long as 4 days when traveling, I use the brake buddy as well and I have never had the Jeep battery run down

Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Jeep towed discharged when towing. This is new.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS