Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: House Batteries are fully charged but acts like they are not
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> House Batteries are fully charged but acts like they are not

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Dow12

Fort Worth Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2010 Class A Georgetown ForestRiver. Electrical works fine when plugged into shore power. When I took it off shorepower, generator would not start, steps would not come in, interior lights would not come on and jacks would not come up. Thinking the house batteries may be dead, I took the house batteries out and had the checked. Was told they were fully charged and was told everything was fine with the batteries. I put the house batteries back in and left the RV running for about 20 minutes. The Generator started and got the jacks up. Left generator running while I drove the RV for about an hour. When I stopped, I turned the general off, and just to see what happens I turned the interior lights on and they stayed on for about 5 minutes and then went off. Everything is acting like the house batteries are dead, but I just can't figure out why that is and what is wrong. The chassis battery starts the Rig up just fine, and not sure if that would have anything to do with it anyway.

Anyone have any suggestions on what could be my problem and how to fix? Thank you in advance

2010 Georgetown Forest /River
36' Gasser Class A

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad connection on coach battery system
Verify voltage on each side of battery disconnect.
Check battery connections
Are these 12 volt batteries or 6 volters?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

doxiemom11

Somewhere between MI and TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a battery shut-off for the house batteries that is not turned on?

Dow12

Fort Worth Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It has 2 12Volt batteries, I cleaned the terminals. I checked the battery shut off and still nothing.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems that there is a mode of battery failure in which the battery will show the full 12.6+ volts of a full charge, and even be able to deliver a small amount of current for a short time before collapsing completely, only to show full charge moments after the load is removed.

I had the battery on my TT fail in this way. Meter checking voltage only showed full charge. But it would only keep a couple house lights on for a few minutes. Took it to one of the auto stores and their volt meter also showed full charge, but a load test revealed the truth: it had almost no capacity to deliver.

I wound up having to replace that battery. I still don't know how, exactly, it came to be in that state or what I could have done to prevent it.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Load test the batteries. Might show you something different

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast - Winter in AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If connections are good, then it sounds to me like batteries are worn out ... no capacity to hold a good charge for more than a couple minutes. I assume if wet cells that water levels are good? Wonder how old those batteries are. I agree with previous poster... you need to have a decent load test made.

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

House battery disconnect.. The batteries (And a couple things that must have power) are on one side of the switch.. The stuff you say stops working on the other.

Alternative is a master fuse or circuit breaker on the house batteries.

Final possibility is a very bad connection.. (High resistance)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Dow12

Fort Worth Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the replies. The batteries are only 6 months old, cells are full and had not been dry. I had a load test done and it showed to hold the load. terminals are clean and were tight. Not sure about the circuit breaker for the batteries. I tried again and plugged into shore power. Took of shore power and turned house lights on --- once again, they stayed lit for about 3 minutes and went off again. If it was a circuit breaker, wouldn't it have stayed off from the prior time I did the same thing yesterday? Thanks again for all the suggestions.. I am stumped

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dow12,

What you are seeing is classic for a bad terminal .

The best way I know of to find this is with a test light.
This would be a very small (low drain/current) bulb with two wire leads. Attach one to the battery terminal and then walk the other away from then bank until it glows.

You problem can easily be as much in the positive side as the negative. Just leave the house lights on until they go dim and then start searching.

Best of Luck and good hunting.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> House Batteries are fully charged but acts like they are not
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS