Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truckers Atlas ~ Best ~ most preferred
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Truckers Atlas ~ Best ~ most preferred

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need to buy one. Need just a few words on why you like (dislike) any particular Publisher / Edition. Thanks

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rand McNally 2019 Truckers--I found it to be almost workless because of the yellow/orange highlighting of the truck routes. This obscured just about all the other detail on the map. And there isn't that much detail in the first place. This map would be fine if all you are interested in is following a truckers route. But for many RVers who want to deviate from those paths you are better off with a better atlas.

Get RV Trip Wizard or other planning software that marks and avoids hazards on the trip. You put in your rigs height and length and it adjusts the route accordingly.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

~~ Thanks ~~ REALLY MISS my Streets & Trips AND all my other OBSOLETE soft ware. Why do they mess up the good stuff ??

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maddog348 wrote:

~~ Thanks ~~ REALLY MISS my Streets & Trips AND all my other OBSOLETE soft ware. Why do they mess up the good stuff ??

Yeah I still have S&T 2012 installed on my computer, but don't use it much anymore. We generally use Street Atlas 2015 but I like the navigation on S&T better. You can import data from RVTW into SA with a little fiddling and also you can send it to googlemaps and excel among others.

As for why did the become extinct? People stoped buying it preferring to squint at their 5 inch phone screens instead of the 15 or 18 inch notebook screen. I've had people see the notebook open in the truck with the nav screen up and they are amazed that you can do that. Heh.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

maddog348 wrote:

Yeah I still have S&T 2012 installed on my computer, but don't use it much anymore. We generally use Street Atlas 2015 but I like the navigation on S&T better. You can import data from RVTW into SA with a little fiddling and also you can send it to googlemaps and excel among others.

As for why did the become extinct? People stoped buying it preferring to squint at their 5 inch phone screens instead of the 15 or 18 inch notebook screen. I've had people see the notebook open in the truck with the nav screen up and they are amazed that you can do that. Heh.

I had such great hope when I heard that Garmin bought Delorme....
SMASH - - - -
I was actually talking to Garmin guy about a defective device, and he said that they think "Base Camp" is as good. I asked if he had used both and laughed as I hung up.....

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Rand McNally 2019 Truckers--I found it to be almost workless because of the yellow/orange highlighting of the truck routes. This obscured just about all the other detail on the map. And there isn't that much detail in the first place. This map would be fine if all you are interested in is following a truckers route. But for many RVers who want to deviate from those paths you are better off with a better atlas.

Get RV Trip Wizard or other planning software that marks and avoids hazards on the trip. You put in your rigs height and length and it adjusts the route accordingly.

That was a trucker bible before GPS. It's still a good reference for larger RV's, if that class 8 truck at 80,000 can go so can your RV. It has all the info you need if you know how to read a map. Yep GPS is faster but the old ways still work.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/19 04:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our last trip out, we were without cell service for three days. That was in Michigan, not the Wild West.

That's why we still carry a paper atlas.

• 2005 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C (was a three-time Jayco owner)
  • 2012 MasterTow Dolly pulling a 2003 Jeep Liberty (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango, Honda Odyssey...)
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, plus 130W solar and Honda EU2000i twins for backup

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/19 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lane hog wrote:

On our last trip out, we were without cell service for three days. That was in Michigan, not the Wild West.

Folk don't get no service. Multi places nation wide with zero cell service, every state. I lived in one, just for that reason.

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lane hog wrote:

Boy I got a wake up call on that fact while recently back in the Northeast. Will never get caught without an old-fashioned road atlas again.

I don't use a trucker's atlas (no need), I actually like the current Walmart atlas for my purposes.

2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Truckers Atlas ~ Best ~ most preferred
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS