cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truckers Atlas ~ Best ~ most preferred

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Need to buy one. Need just a few words on why you like (dislike) any particular Publisher / Edition. Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Powertour
Explorer
Explorer
lane hog wrote:
On our last trip out, we were without cell service for three days. That was in Michigan, not the Wild West.

That's why we still carry a paper atlas.

Boy I got a wake up call on that fact while recently back in the Northeast. Will never get caught without an old-fashioned road atlas again.

I don't use a trucker's atlas (no need), I actually like the current Walmart atlas for my purposes.
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
lane hog wrote:
On our last trip out, we were without cell service for three days. That was in Michigan, not the Wild West.

Folk don't get no service. Multi places nation wide with zero cell service, every state. I lived in one, just for that reason.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II

• 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Rand McNally 2019 Truckers--I found it to be almost workless because of the yellow/orange highlighting of the truck routes. This obscured just about all the other detail on the map. And there isn't that much detail in the first place. This map would be fine if all you are interested in is following a truckers route. But for many RVers who want to deviate from those paths you are better off with a better atlas.

Get RV Trip Wizard or other planning software that marks and avoids hazards on the trip. You put in your rigs height and length and it adjusts the route accordingly.

That was a trucker bible before GPS. It's still a good reference for larger RV's, if that class 8 truck at 80,000 can go so can your RV. It has all the info you need if you know how to read a map. Yep GPS is faster but the old ways still work.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
maddog348 wrote:
~~ Thanks ~~ REALLY MISS my Streets & Trips AND all my other OBSOLETE soft ware. Why do they mess up the good stuff ??

Yeah I still have S&T 2012 installed on my computer, but don't use it much anymore. We generally use Street Atlas 2015 but I like the navigation on S&T better. You can import data from RVTW into SA with a little fiddling and also you can send it to googlemaps and excel among others.

As for why did the become extinct? People stoped buying it preferring to squint at their 5 inch phone screens instead of the 15 or 18 inch notebook screen. I've had people see the notebook open in the truck with the nav screen up and they are amazed that you can do that. Heh.

I had such great hope when I heard that Garmin bought Delorme....
SMASH - - - -
I was actually talking to Garmin guy about a defective device, and he said that they think "Base Camp" is as good. I asked if he had used both and laughed as I hung up.....

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
maddog348 wrote:
~~ Thanks ~~ REALLY MISS my Streets & Trips AND all my other OBSOLETE soft ware. Why do they mess up the good stuff ??

Yeah I still have S&T 2012 installed on my computer, but don't use it much anymore. We generally use Street Atlas 2015 but I like the navigation on S&T better. You can import data from RVTW into SA with a little fiddling and also you can send it to googlemaps and excel among others.

As for why did the become extinct? People stoped buying it preferring to squint at their 5 inch phone screens instead of the 15 or 18 inch notebook screen. I've had people see the notebook open in the truck with the nav screen up and they are amazed that you can do that. Heh.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rand McNally 2019 Truckers--I found it to be almost workless because of the yellow/orange highlighting of the truck routes. This obscured just about all the other detail on the map. And there isn't that much detail in the first place. This map would be fine if all you are interested in is following a truckers route. But for many RVers who want to deviate from those paths you are better off with a better atlas.

Get RV Trip Wizard or other planning software that marks and avoids hazards on the trip. You put in your rigs height and length and it adjusts the route accordingly.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper