cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Move to Motorhome

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
After much thought and discussion my wife and I have decided to move from our TT to a motorhome to help facilitate our Oregon to Minnesota trips to visit our aging parents. I've been pulling TTs for years but have never owned a MH. I read over the FAQs and saw repeatedly that people cautioned about buying too small of a rig, but I never read an explanation as to WHY a smaller rig was discouraged.

We're looking for a 21 or 22 foot unit, and I've noticed most come with a Ford V-10. What kind of fuel economy (or lack thereof) can one expect from a V-10 on the highway? Thanks in advance for the answers.
2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0
27 REPLIES 27

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
22 foot on a Sprinter. (Total length = 22'9")
16 MPG
Murphy Bed (Queen)
No slides.
Plenty of space for the two of us for at least 4 weeks (haven't tried longer yet)
So small we have never needed a toad.
Huge Corian with glass door shower (Bigger bathroom than some class A's.
Very easy to drive.
24,000 miles and no problems.
Pleasure-Way XLMB

Make sure you look at as many as you can and pick the one that fits you best.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Things to think about when considering floorplans.

Walk into shower. Some showers you have to step up to get into them.

Corner shower, some are bigger than others. Big ones are real roomy inside.

Counter space by the kitchen sink for food prep.

Large outside rear storage. They can be up to 100cu ft.

No window over the headboard of the bed. Keeps bedroom more comfortable on hot days or real cool nights.

Livable with slide(s) in.

A north south bed that is offset to one side. That gives you room to walk & dress on one side.

60x80 real queen bed. Uses standard bed sheets and such.

Ford E450 or Chevy 4500 chassis. Having had both I have found the Chevy handles cross winds & passing big rigs better.

Just a comment. All class Cs have an overhead above the cab designed to be a bed or audio center. It is a great place for storing things. My current rig has lots of storage behind the large TV in the audio center.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I think that there are a lot more available used Class C's in the 25 to 27 foot range. I don't like having slides with potential problems. Short rigs have less comfortable sleeping and little storage space. If you spend most time outside under an awning, a short rig may suit your needs as described otherwise lack of elbow room, clutter, and sleeping in the overhead can become irritating.

Powertour
Explorer
Explorer
We moved from trailers (tag, toyhaulers, & 5vers) to a Class C moho last past summer. I enjoy traveling in a reasonably sized moho so much more than sitting behind the wheel of a pickup truck pulling a trailer (which I did for 20 years) it's no comparison for me.

I have no brand loyalty with cars, trucks, or RVs. I buy what will work for us / we like / & is available when we want or need the item. With that said, the Ford V-10 has a long-standing track record of being a reliable powerplant, the E-chassis has been made by the bushel basket for eons, & so what that amounts to is these guys are known & available.

Fuel average right about 10mpg traveling between 60-65.

The ONLY wish (not really a regret per se) is that our rig had a walk-around bed. We love the relative portability/simplicity of a 25ish ft coach with no slide for around traveling adventures. Makes it a lot easier to get away with stopping overnight in a parking lot / rest area etc.
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am surprised no one mentioned one of the 24 ft Class C's with a full wall slide like the Chateau 24BL,24F or Leprechaun 240FS. It seems like the best of both worlds, a lot more room for camping when the slide is extended with a walk around Queen bed and a short MH to travel in. Some on here with that size don't use a tow car. Does anyone on here own a 24 ft with a full wall slide that can comment on the pros and cons?

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate all the comments and insights. Thank you everyone!
2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Op, I think youโ€™re thinking right, if the intended usage is piling on miles driving x country with a place to stay along the way and when you get there.
I think length will have less of an effect on mileage than how you drive, weather conditions and the drivetrain. Either way, if you have a gas 1 ton basically either brand, theyโ€™ll get similar mileage to pulling a TT with a pickup.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned a 25 foot Class C, a 30 foot Class A and a 33 Foot Class A and now we are back to a 26 foot Class C. I can tell you, the gas mileage is virtually no different in any of them. We get 7.5 to 9.5 and it all depends on wind, hills and speed. Everyone thinks that a small Class C gets better, but we have found they are all the same. All of our units have had the Ford V10. We went back to a small class C for the ease of maneuvering. Driving small or large on the highway makes no difference. Make sure you go with a bed down, even if it is a corner unit, you will not regret it.

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 2019 Freedom Elite 23H which is a Camping World specific model, but basically identical to the Thor 23U, for reference. Actual measurement bumper-to-bumper is 24'10". Corner queen (very common floor plan.)

I am a Chevy guy through-and-through. Since birth. My current rig is my third RV since 1999, the other two were Chevy chassis. I love Chevy, I love the LS V-8, my daily driver is a Chevy with the LS, we have several in the family. Nothing against Chevy. My "new" RV is n the Ford chassis, and its no joke. We bought it new this spring so only about 5k miles of experience, but in that short time owning this rig I have a new respect for Ford. We've been all over WA, OR, ID, UT, NV this year from sea level to 8k, and the Ford V10 is a beast in a rig my size (small.)

What I'm getting to is don't discount Ford's due to brand loyalty. I'm as Chevy as they come. But the Fords are super popular for a reason. We love our smaller Class C and wouldn't change a thing about it. We are only in 5k miles, but are averaging mid to high 9mpg (we have the 6 speed) and we are not easy with it(we did 70-75 through Utah and Nevada.)
Patrick

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
We took a winnebago View - 25' Class C, Sprinter (Diesel) chassis, the version with a streamlined front, no overhead bed, Texas to Alaska and back, 10,000 miles.
16 mpg, great.
But very limited storage, only comfortable chair was the driver's seat.
Since 2015, we are on the road 80-100 nights a year. 25' was efficient, highly maneuverable, but just too small.
Selling it.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ours is a sprinter leisure travel van freedom serenity II 5cycle diesel gets 17,,to just over 20mpg .might take a look before buying a gasser. the newer MB diesels get about 16mpg ,still twice that of a gasser.p.s ours is getting old a 2007 but runs great with only two minor repairs.

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend Winnebago's "Minnie Winnie" line... everything from the 22' unit to the longer 32' models. The 25B is a great floor plan for someone who doesn't want slides but wants a bed, couch, and dinette. Went bigger (2017 31D) with no regrets. Very seldom am I unable to get in and out of a gas station even with the Honda CRV in tow. The extra space comes in handy but not absolutely essential. I like to set up for 14-21 days in one spot and use the toad for everyday use. With my Thousand Trails membership, most of my stays will be "free".

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
I find it interesting that no one has pointed out any Class C shorter RVs on the Sprinter or Ford Transit chassis with diesel engines that get twice the mileage of the E350 and E450 Ford gas engines..... albeit they have less GCWR ratings though.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy a 2017 and later Motorhome with a Ford V 10, you'll have the 6 speed transmission and your mileage will be superior to many older rigs. My 31 foot Jayco gets 9.9 mpg at 60 mph. Rigs are advertised as how many they can sleep. The bigger problem is how many they can walk. If your use to a respectable size trailer, it's doubtful you'll be happy in a small B. Take Lazy Daze for example. They generally know what pleases people, and they only sell three sizes; 24,27 and 31 foot. I've seen a number of folks here say 27 is a good sweet spot for size versus maneuverability.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.