cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honda eu2000i separate on/off switch

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a eu1000i for many years and now a eu2000i for 2 years, the thing I did/do not like is one can not run the carb dry. So I added a separate run switch to the eu1000i and today to the eu2000i. The 2000 was much easier, as I was able to reach is and cut the two wires between the fuel/run switch and plug, and extend them to the new switch without taking the case apart. The switch I got at Ace Hardware is advertised at having an O-ring to keep moisture out.

BTW the switch closes to stop the generator, so I could not use the little on/off tab, as it was reversed for this application.

Chris

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021
31 REPLIES 31

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
If you drain or run dry there is no need to pull the starter rope repeatedly upon next use. Simply turn on the run switch and walk away for a few minutes and the carburetor will gravity fill. Now you're back to 1-2 pulls.

This particular recommendation is worth the price of admission to this forum.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I like your switch idea which effectively isolates the fuel shutoff from the generator shutoff.

Some of my thoughts on the eu2000i

I travel with my eu2000i inside my TT sitting on the floor in front of the couch. I never smell fuel when I get to my destination. If you are smelling fuel there is a problem with your fuel cap. It's either not tight enough, or the filler neck sealing surface is not smooth, or the o-rings in the cap are bad.

to prevent gumming of the jet I pull the side cover and drain the bowl if it's going to be in storage for more than a few weeks.

Running the carburetor dry is a misnomer. You are only lowering the fuel level in the float bowl until the jet is exposed. There is still fuel at the bottom of the bowl that will go bad over time.

If I forget to drain the bowl and the carburetor plugs up (loping idle) I spend fifteen minutes and clean it out. Link

If you drain or run dry there is no need to pull the starter rope repeatedly upon next use. Simply turn on the run switch and walk away for a few minutes and the carburetor will gravity fill. Now you're back to 1-2 pulls.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not shutting off the switch, but turning off the fuel supply lets the engine suck the fuel out of the carb. On my 2000, I unplugged the spark disconnect from the Honda shutoff knob so it would continue to run till the fuel shutoff part killed it, then I installed a separate shutoff switch in case I ever needed to shut it down RIGHT NOW for some reason. I never toggle the shutoff switch, it is just there for emergencies, and my carb always gets sucked dry.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am confused , how does shutting the switch get the gas out of carb ?

Mobilesport
Explorer
Explorer
Carborator gumming up is only a problem if you don't use your generator much .
I use mine at least a hour a day to power battery charger, I've never ran it dry , I've never drained my bowl .
it's recommended to at least start it up once a month to prevent carburetor problems

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Nobody does this between stops. It takes a lot of pulls to start it with a dry carb. It's unlcear from your post what the new valve does.

I would imagine gasoline smell emanates more from any gas spills on the outside of the generator. My Hondas don't stink.

The new position allows one to turn off the fuel and leave the generator running.

Again I am going to agree with 2oldman. When we got our first Honda 2000 I carried it inside of our TC. There was never a time when we had ANY odors at all. My wifes allergies would have found any fumes from it, trust me.

This really is a non issue, and there is no reason to drain between trips, in my opinion.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Nobody does this between stops. It takes a lot of pulls to start it with a dry carb. It's unlcear from your post what the new valve does.

I would imagine gasoline smell emanates more from any gas spills on the outside of the generator. My Hondas don't stink.

The new position allows one to turn off the fuel and leave the generator running.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer

"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Wise crack aside, I don't think it's an unreasonable question since nobody does this.

Why did Honda bother to change the valve so people could do it?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Wise crack aside, I don't think it's an unreasonable question since nobody does this.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Me Again wrote:
for transporting the generator between stops on a trip, it is nice to be able to run the carb dry,
Why do you need to dry the carb between stops?

Because I do not want all the other stuff under the Backflip cover on the bed to smell like gasoline. You guys are working overtime on being anti dry bowl people!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
for transporting the generator between stops on a trip, it is nice to be able to run the carb dry,
Why do you need to dry the carb between stops?

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
Me Again wrote:
So oldman and driver, you would rather remove the cover and drain the gas in the carb to where?

The back of my pickup. It is less than a quarter of a cup. It isn't hard, or a big deal and evaporates very quickly. It takes less than two minutes start to finish.

Edited to add:
By draining the carb, you are going to get more gas out of your carb bowl than running it dry. THAT is why I am a fan of draining instead of running them dry, therefore why I think it isn't a big deal.

Me too, have not had carburetor problem in small engines since I started about 5 years ago!

With the Honda 2000 when traveling I will not go out of my way for non ethanol and use ethanol gas. But the last tank through is always non ethanol. I do not use stabil as the non ehtanol has a claimed shelf life of 1 year.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
Me Again wrote:
So oldman and driver, you would rather remove the cover and drain the gas in the carb to where?

The back of my pickup. It is less than a quarter of a cup. It isn't hard, or a big deal and evaporates very quickly. It takes less than two minutes start to finish.

Edited to add:
By draining the carb, you are going to get more gas out of your carb bowl than running it dry. THAT is why I am a fan of draining instead of running them dry, therefore why I think it isn't a big deal.

I would agree for extended storage, however for transporting the generator between stops on a trip, it is nice to be able to run the carb dry, load the generator up in the truck bed and drive to the next stop. Having the separate run switch makes this possible.

Honda appear to have recognized the issue also, and now has the three position switch.

Old Switch:

New Switch: