Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Push to privatize National Park Service campgrounds
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Push to privatize National Park Service campgrounds

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing no one mentions - regards senior discount. We all understand the argument about paying all our lives in taxes which support NPS. Let's leave that for a moment ...

Most seniors live on fixed income, some still pay taxes, and most have a lot more time for camping in parks. If seniors have discounts, seniors will stay more often and longer in parks, spending the recreation part of their budget. So, basically, if you spend more nights, you spend more money and use less services per day over a longer period. Seniors buy food in the park, fuel in the park ... and some other services when available -boat launch fee, for example. In the long run, I bet seniors per pay much more into the NPS system annually than, say a family with three kids on vacation for a week or two. And, that family will use more services - that's not a complaint, just a factor to consider.

Seniors have earned a discount, and ultimately probably pay more support into the parks overall, then without a discount. I do know Genie and I spend more time in NPS than any other camping areas, and a part of that decision comes from the possibility of a discount for each camp night.

Sure, we can stay outside park, with hookups, and pool, and games for a similar amount as 'regular fees', but we don't. We stay in the parks because they are the parks, and the GC most often are a bit more space, a bit more private, and certainly much more beautiful than say the average private park, even tho most NPS have no hookups.

Each type of CG - private or public - has its place in all our camp-lives, but the parks are the parks, and the protection of these wilderness and watershed areas is more important than any other NPS purpose.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

NoVa RT

Northern Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

A few years back the Supreme Court "Citizens United" gave BIG MONEY the right to use that money to control our government and nothing has been the same since (money=speech - the more you have the louder your voice).
The Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision isn’t really relevant to the issue of private management of National Parks, but that is not an accurate description of the Court’s decision. The Court merely held that the government could not suppress a book, film, or other communication because of its political content. Here’s a link to the decision for those who wish to read it, or google “Citizens United” for the plentiful commentary on it. It’s a somewhat controversial decision, but consistent with centuries of 1st Amendment law.

2013 RT 190-Popular

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to delete some posts for words like "geezers".

Let's please keep this thread civil so I don't need to close it.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the end it's all about services. If a private company can take over and give as good or better results without raising prices beyond reason then there shouldn't be any issues.

We had a new company come to Oregon and take over management of several FS campgrounds. They did improvements and changed a few of the ways they do visitor relations all without raising prices.
Ironically the new company is CLM ( California Land Management)

The end result will fall directly on who's chosen to run the parks.

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This article goes more into details.

Advisory council recommends expanding private business in national parks

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I temporarily closed the thread. One of the primary trolls is gone from the forum and I'm reopening it again.

* This post was edited 10/12/19 03:55pm by dedmiston *

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The thread is open again. Please play nice.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

Didn't know that word needed to be added to Richard Pryor's list.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

This article goes more into details.

Advisory council recommends expanding private business in national parks

Warren Meyers the fellow who I linked with the extensive comments about privatization points out that many USFS CG have been privatized for years. Personally I know that all three springs in Ocala NF are privatized. They generate a bit of minor irritation when they charge a small parking fee to Access card holders and Seniors I'm sure. But it's only a buck or two so no big deal. The springs show no sign of Disneyfication.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

dedmiston wrote:

Didn't know that word needed to be added to Richard Pryor's list.

Now you do.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Push to privatize National Park Service campgrounds
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS