Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Push to privatize National Park Service campgrounds
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Push to privatize National Park Service campgrounds

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't mind having concessionaires run some of the National Parks, as it is being done now. However, I don't want to see our National Parks turned into garish Disneyland-like attractions.

I realize the Park Service is drastically underfunded and in need of billions for backlogged maintenance and repairs, but I rather see fees raised gradually to cover expenses instead of having private companies destroy the character of the national parks.

From the article:

Seniors are one group that might be hit hard by the policies, if adopted.

The memo argues that the 50 percent discount for seniors should apply only to base campsite fees and encourages NPS to introduce “new senior fee blackout periods during peak season periods.”

Committee pushes National Park Service to privatize campgrounds

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years back the Supreme Court "Citizens United" gave BIG MONEY the right to use that money to control our government and nothing has been the same since (money=speech - the more you have the louder your voice). Until it's overturned, billionaires and corporations will use their power to squeeze every dollar they can everywhere they can. The payback for them has proven to be enormous and there's no end in sight. Citizens United is worst decision to come from the SC since the awful Dread Scott decision declared the Constitution of the United States was not meant to include American citizenship for black people. Decisions of the Court are not without flaws.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The report ot a moderator button still is FUBAR so I'm bringing this to the moderators ATTENTION MODERATOR before is devolves into a political furball.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

The memo argues that the 50 percent discount for seniors should apply only to base campsite fees and encourages NPS to introduce “new senior fee blackout periods during peak season periods.”

A good idea that makes a lot of sense. Why do seniors get a %50 discount to begin with, or a discount at all.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert Ackerman wrote:

gemsworld wrote:

A good idea that makes a lot of sense. Why do seniors get a %50 discount to begin with, or a discount at all.

I suppose the theory is that:
1) They've paid taxes for 45+ year
2) They theoretically have lower incomes
3) They vote in very high numbers and are quite vindictive towards politicians that take away some benefit. They are also very loud while being vindictive.

Number three is obviously the most important from the political viewpoint.

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

The report ot a moderator button still is FUBAR so I'm bringing this to the moderators ATTENTION MODERATOR before is devolves into a political furball.

This is not political. This is an informative article that should be of interest to practically every member of this group.

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So far this looks OK. Please keep it civil and nonpartisan.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like any business, it's all about the bottom line.
The Park Service is drastically underfunded and needs to raise money for maintenance, etc..

I agree, paying taxes for 40+ years should count for something.
And, I don't want to see our parks become another Disneyland.
But, like buying gas/diesel, when the price goes up we grumble, whine and pay the higher price.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like a lot of things the cost of establishing a federal park, county or national hi-ways, public schools is peanuts compared to the cost of maintaining them year over year and is not considered or factored in. I constantly see news stories decrying the condition of infrastructure, our failing schools, costs of this and that. Ask anybody on the street and they will say that want all of these things to be repaired, supported, brought up to current standards or expectations of service. Now ask these same people how much more they are willing to pay in federal, state, local taxes or are willing to help by serving and you get a lot of crickets.

I have no issue if there becomes a private/public contract to address the federal park system. I see no reason NOT to allow one or more companies to take over the concessions, camping, store operations in federal parks.

Keep the basic entry fee for federal parks reasonable so most of not all citizens can come experience the parks. They don’t need to eat there, camp there, of buy overpriced made in China souvenirs.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

Bob806

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO our government could send more $$ to the NPS. Perhaps raise our fees slightly for usage, but leave the senior discounts in place.We could debate where to cut elsewhere so the NPS could be properly funded, but I'm sure we can all agree we need these parks properly maintained for our enjoyment.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Push to privatize National Park Service campgrounds
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS