cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can a 2017 VW Jetta manual transmission be towed?

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
The MotorHome magazine tow guides don't list it, the owners manual is vague about towing over 30 miles but eTrailer has a Blue OX base plate installation guide & base plate for it.

So, is anyone towing a 2017 Jetta with 1.4 engine and manual transmission? Does it work?

Thanks
2014 Chevy 2500 Duramax, short bed, 4WD
2004 Keystone Laredo 27RL
Escapees member
19 REPLIES 19

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
Put a hitch on the Jetta which makes moving the dolly around much easier on rough, soft or uneven surfaces. I also made a 6' pole that uses the hitch so I can load/unload my kayak a whole lot easier.

Now, if we can just go somewhere.
Escapees member

Y-Guy
Thanks for the update Swampman597, enjoy your trips!

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
Update:

We got a tow dolly after all. With REMCO & VW both saying it wasn't flat towable, it just made sense. Its a Tow Master with surge brakes so I don't have to consider a supplemental braking system or how to keep the toad battery charged. Plus, we can change the toad without having to install a new base plate or make any changes.

The universal fit straps that came with it weren't easy to setup so I got some smaller size ones from Amazon for $28 that are much easier to use.

If it becomes a nuisance and we want to change the toad to something 4 down towable, selling the tow dolly will be a breeze. They don't last long on Craig's List here and sell at a premium. The dealer we got the MH from gave us a great deal on the dolly too.

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone for your thoughts.
Escapees member

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy, I agree.
Escapees member

Y-Guy
Swampman597 if the service tech will put that in writing on company letterhead go for it. Otherwise it's great for conversation but if you have any issues they are not going to support you.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
Had the Jetta at the dealer last week for warranty work (replacing some sensors) and the service writer said it was no problem towing it since it was a standard transmission. Guess I've gone full circle on this question.

Anyhow, going up to PA Friday and will look more into it when we get back.
Escapees member

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
Thats a really nice set-up there. We made our first trip last week to a campground (Sebastian Inlet state park) and experienced the loss of mobility without a toad.

It is looking more and more that we're leaning toward a Jeep but still researching. We're going to PA the first of November, which will be the first long (over 200 miles away) trip and should give us a better idea of what we'll need. Plus, we only have to imagine the fun it'll be trying to get the back of the mh to a gas pump with a toad attached.

Going from a fiver to a mh does have a learning curve. I could tow my Silverado diesel but its too heavy for the hitch and would make the V-10 a gas guzzler pulling an extra 9,000 lbs.
Escapees member

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2016 VW Golf GTI with 6 speed manual transmission 4 wheels down. I had a mechanics cut off the locked steering engagement pin so I did not have to run the ignition switch in the ACC position in order to keep the steering unlocked. I use a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar. I have towed the GTI so far more than 7000 miles with no problems.

Photo Click here

Mod Edit: Dropbox doesn't seem to want to post correct so changed into a clickable link.
2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, yes the ABS seems pretty tricky.
Escapees member

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
We owned an older Jetta with a manual transmission, and could only tow it four-up. I think it was because of the ABS.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
I have a buddy with a Razor side-by-side who is cheering on the Jeep vote. And, he wants to visit Moab too from Oregon.
Escapees member

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Then again, a potential buyer may see the base plate installation and think "Oh, wow, just what I have been looking for!"
A somewhat interesting side note, the PT Cruiser, the Subaru Forester, and the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited were sitting in a row, West to East, when two hail storms came through a while back. The hail was pea size up to ping pong ball size.
The PT Cruiser suffered a few dents. The Subaru now looks like a golf ball. The Jeep has very few barely noticeable dents, although the windshield was broken. IMO, that is a good commentary on the metal they are made from!
Finding a good used Jeep for a toad is an excellent idea. I am partial to the '06 and older. The '07 and newer were redesigned, and I don't care for the body lines or the engines. Some of us Jeep fans don't care if it gets chipped or scratched. "It is a Jeep, it is supposed to be chipped, scratched, and dented. That's why they call that trail near Moab, UT, Metal Masher!"
Yeah, I been there....
Not with the current Jeep, though.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
Yikes, its these unknowns that trouble me. I'm starting to lean toward a Jeep, mostly for the convenience. After looking at the Blue Ox video of how to install the base plate, I wondered if the base plate tips would be a turn off for a buyer who knows its been towed.

Thanks, I'm still considering and the points youses bring up are valid.
Escapees member

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
My gut feeling is why not. Being a manual, no fluid issues to worry about. In neutral the only thing rotating are the half shafts and inside the transmission the main shaft is turning and distributing gear lube so like I said, why not?

Yes, the rear half of the mainshaft is turning, but does that stir up the lube oil? When the front half is turning, causing the cluster gear to rotate, the oil is being distributed very well in most trannys, but the rear half does nothing as far as lubrication is concerned.
Just something to think about. Not all manual transmissions are towable. Some will damage the output shaft bearing and seal due to lack of lube. It may take a while and many miles, but it will eventually happen, and it will likely not be covered by any warranty.
good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"