cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Concerning Slide Noise

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Keystone Hideout - I'm not sure what the technical type of slide mechanism is but it's got a couple gear/wheels that stay fixed and toothed rails on the underside of the slide at each end.

When moving the slide in/out a metal to metal rythmic grinding noise develops. In words, the best I can describe it is a grinding noise that occurs about 3X/sec. It's pretty high-pitched and is really just metal on metal sounding. Almost like a high pitched "chunk" noise. I've looked and listened from underneath as the slide is being moved and can't see anything (both ends of a +/- 12' slide). I applied some spray lube and nothing really changed. It still works fine but seems to be getting worse and sounding pretty bad - definitely not normal. I'll likely get someone more knowledgeable than I am to look into it but am wondering if anyone can offer a diagnosis from my description.
4 REPLIES 4

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I got one of those slides that Scott referenced. I would probably panic if it stopped groaning and carrying on. :R

Blasting (squirting is a better word) some lube on those rollers does help.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You described a power gear system. Some noise is normal.. If it's every 3 seconds I'd try lubing the tooths on the toothed rail to see if that makes a differnce. Sounds like one of the gears may have a not so smooth spot.

This will cause a problem in oh, about 50 years or so.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My main slide made all kinds or terrible noise. Dealer just said "they all do it".
I got underneath and listened and touched everything while it moved. I finally found there were some rollers or wheels that support the square part of the tubing around the long gear (rack) that were making all the noise. Turns out these rubber wheels use a simple smooth bolt as axles. A little grease on those bolts and it's quiet as a mouse.
So I say keep looking and feeling for a vibration.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had a bolt that secured the drive links with the drive motor break. Perhaps yours did something like this and a piece of the bolt is grinding against other parts when you move the slide. We replaced ours with a heavier grade bolt. Hubby called it a shear pin.