Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Repair costs and frequency frustration
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Repair costs and frequency frustration

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We like our 15 year old 30 ft. Class C we've had for 7 years. Reliability has always been up and down. We had a pretty good couple of years of repair costs we could live with but now we're discouraged and don't know what to do. Many costs this past year; some routine and expected, some not. Must have totaled 7 to $8000 and today, after $300 dollars of work, I'm told that I need a differential bearing which this shop can't do which will cost thousands; not hundreds. Only has 67000 miles. We're reluctantly considering downsizing to an older used Class B, like a Roadtrek but seems like we would have to repair our present one to sell it. I'm not asking for an answer; just venting. Oh, spending over $30000 for a replacement is out of the question. Thanks for "listening"

Jayco-noslide

Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would the limited living space, bathroom, batteries, propane, fresh water and holding tanks of a B vs. a C be acceptable to you?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What makes them think you need a "differential bearing"?

Your differential has both pinion and axle shaft bearings. Did they mention which one?

What other problems have you experienced?

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Jayco-noslide

Don't beat yourself up on this repair.

I have an older RV. Yes I've had my repairs along the way.
BUT my theory is dishing out a couple of hundred dollars now and then or even a 1,000+ repair a couple of times over the course of many years?

It's a "one time" payment per incident.

Replace it with a new or newer RV?
Now you've got guaranteed big payments each and every month for years and years AND the repair bills will still happen along the way.

Nope I take my lumps on occasional repairs. I am still waay ahead of those that have to make rv payments each and every month AND pay for repairs. [emoticon]

I am so happy with my RV. I hear complaint after complaint about the new ones. Priced high and lower quality and handling seems to suck on all the new ones.

When and if my V10 ever blows up I will just buy another engine and keep on RV'ing with her! She has served me that well.

P.S. I hope you are NOT getting these estimates from an RV dealer service dept.

They charge 4 to 5 times MORE what it takes to repair an RV compared to a regular local repair shop, chevy or ford 'truck' dealership repair shop and/or your local RV mobile repair.

My RV has NEVER seen the inside of an RV dealership repair shop.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might find that B class rvs are as expensive or more expensive than C class. You are better off with the one you have, than starting over with a low price B that you don't know. At least you know what has been done with yours. That is the problem I have with mine. I have fixed so many things, that if I sell it and get another one, I might just be starting over fixing the same things I have done on this one. It can be a bit discouraging, but don't let it get you down. As stated, figure out on paper how much you would have spent on payments if you bought a new one. Maybe that will help cheer you up. Good luck.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel your pain. But I always hear many say buy used. Let someone else take the depreciation.
However buying used is not foolproof either.
You now have a 15 year old vehicle that you have owned for 7 years.
You may have missed the depreciation hit but now you are caught in the age and wear trap.
An older vehicle will require more maintenance and will become more unreliable as time passes.
For the record I bought new but it has not been a "walk in the Park either"
My early years were very good, but I took a major hit on a frame issue.
At the end of the day Rv'ing is not a cheap past time. It beats owning a boat but it does come with it's own unique set of expenses.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about differential oil changes and automatic transmission fluid change for our 2004 E350 with 100k km? Time to get these jobs done?

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Rockhillmanor.

I have an old motorhome. I have put in a lot of money over the years, but I have still spent less than I would if I had bought new (or even less old).

And now that I have put in a lot of that repair work, my motorhome doesn't need much more, so my costs are going back down. It's a cycle.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the roadtrek is on the sprinter chassis you may find repair costs to be "out of this world".

I allot $0.25 cents per mile for maintenance costs. So at 67k miles that is about $16,750.00

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might be time to rethink this rv life style. IMO, this used MH rv style is not working for you.
I have been down the used MH road and found it not all that reliable a road to travel, especially if you do not know the previous owner and the units history.
If you can live with a rv style change, you can hold on to your cash that you have using to repair things. When I had limited cash to spend on toys, I had the best mechanical luck buying a smaller trailer under 6,000# wet and leasing a new truck. The truck never broke down and the trailer has a lot less mechanical stuff to deal with than a MH.
There are so many 'cash back' deals that will save you thousands on 1500 series trucks where you do not need any special aftermarket equipment for it to tow a smaller TT. A stock truck with a tow package will be fine. You'll be driving a new rig for about the same money as you're spending repairing an unreliable MH where you're chancing being stuck in far away places.
You could lease a truck and put the down payment into the lease and use your cash for the TT.
I can't see buying a used B with uncertain repairs in the future. You'll be in the same position you're in now. I see that being a revolving door with too much expense and down time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Repair costs and frequency frustration
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS