Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: MH accident in gas station!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> MH accident in gas station!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 10 yrs ago, I watched a guy rip into all the bay doors on the drivers side as he tried to pull out and hit one of those huge concrete barriers meant to protect the pumps. He kept going till it was wedged up so tight the MH couldn't move anymore. I'm sure it ruined his day.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Bert Ackerman wrote:

Another example of why there should be mandatory training, testing and licensing to operate anything larger than a car or pickup, or to tow a trailer. A lot of folks can't negotiate a Walmart parking lot in a Kia Soul, and the next day jump in a class A and hit the highway towing it.

Some people with CDL's can't drive either. So there goes that thinking! It's not about the size of the vehicle, it's about paying attention.

That's beside the point. They might have a CDL and can't drive, but they had to have training, pass a test, and have regular mandated physicals.

A group of 7 or 8 women in their 60's / 70's and maybe 80's, were at a campground we were at not long ago. They were traveling together with a travel trailer, two class C's, and a class B. One of the women who was the owner of a class C, and the driver, had to walk to and from the site where they had their nightly get-togethers with a wheeled walker. It literally took her 5 minutes to go 100'. Now tell me she is capable of operating that class C safely? Maybe she was sharp as a tack and had the reaction times of a 20 yr old for her age when driving but while bugging out she whacked off one of the 4X4 site markers, and clipped a stop sign. That was before she made it 200 yds. at 5 mph or less.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the tow truck it's advertising.

Not quite that bad (just tore one side of the rear cap loose)
But I got to see that happen a while ago.. Live 38' Cedar Creek 5er v/s island
No damage to the island... Driver just pulled away did not stop so I'm sure there was additional damage from the rear cap flapping away.

What can I say.... better him than me.

And the man I was standing beside had converted a 5er to a Gooseneck.. and tore up his pin box when he panic stopped...

I was driving a Neon at the time (Class A parked on a nearby campsite. )

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Obviously, the motorhome driver made some serious mistakes. However, that's got to be some of the worst tow trucking I've ever seen.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2015 Open Range 216 RBS
2013 Nissan Armada Platinum

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of armchair quarterbacks on this forum. Many of which I am sure have never made a mistake. Who knows what happened. I feel bad for the person, it had to been gut wrenching not to mention expensive.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert Ackerman wrote:

Another example of why there should be mandatory training, testing and licensing to operate anything larger than a car or pickup, or to tow a trailer. A lot of folks can't negotiate a Walmart parking lot in a Kia Soul, and the next day jump in a class A and hit the highway towing it.

For the record, there were approximately 530 people killed last weekend by vehicles driven by people who had "mandatory training, testing and licensing"

Just sayin..............

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

winniman

muskoka Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Lots of armchair quarterbacks on this forum. Many of which I am sure have never made a mistake. Who knows what happened. I feel bad for the person, it had to been gut wrenching not to mention expensive.

I feel bad for the guy too, but if he had looked in his mirror, he would have seen it coming. He caved in two side compartments and hit the rear wheels hard enough to shift them, and pull out the driveshaft. What if that had been someone in a wheelchair at a corner intersection. He would have driven over them. If the rear axle hadn't got hung up on the steel bar, he probably would have dragged the toad through there as well. This is more than a minor oooppps moment. This guy wasn't watching anything at all, and put the pedal down.

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert Ackerman wrote:

Exactly.........In Missouri you need an endorsement on your drivers licence to ride a motorcycle but can drive anything else as long as you're not driving for hire. DUH!

Richard

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive,
they would eventually, find me attractive.

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Member, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple comments.

As a former safety guy, and I've said this literally thousands of times "That's NOT an accident! That's a drivers failure to pay full time attention to what he/she is doing." Accidents are when you're killed or injured by a falling tree limb, for example. In other words, Accidents are accidents, stupid stuff is stupid stuff.

2nd comments: I've seen many videos of this Hill Wrecker Service on YouTube. Frankly, sometimes he's a decent guy helping people out, but the rest of the time he's usually a total jerk and a butcher destroying peoples vehicles. He just, in my opinion, literally makes worse or destroys peoples vehicles during the process. You should see his beach tows, where people get their vehicles stuck on the Oregon beaches. He will yell and treat people like **** while pulling them out. It's bad enough folks got their vehicles stuck on the sand, then he treats them like **** trying to give them instructions.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OkieGene wrote:

As a former safety guy, and I've said this literally thousands of times "That's NOT an accident! That's a drivers failure to pay full time attention to what he/she is doing." Accidents are when you're killed or injured by a falling tree limb, for example. In other words, Accidents are accidents, stupid stuff is stupid stuff.

It seems to me that an accident is anything that is not done intentionally. I'm pretty sure the driver of the motorhome didn't intend to destroy the fender and pull the axle out of position and incur a sizable tow truck bill, hence this would be an accident.

More generally, it seems to me that what typically are called accidents are always things that might have been foreseeable and preventable. An earthquake, for instance, is not an accident; leveling a building with an unintended explosion, even if caused by carelessness, is an accident since nobody set out to destroy property. Choosing not to use the facilities when one's bladder is full can lead to a different kind of accident, even though it's entirely foreseeable and preventable.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> MH accident in gas station!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS