cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MH accident in gas station!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t think this has been posted before, so I’m posting it now.

How do you do this much damage in a gas station?

MH hung up on gas island!!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
43 REPLIES 43

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I see things like this, I prefer not to run down the driver for making such a mistake (especially when I know nothing of the specific circumstances around how it happened). I think he has enough 'consequences' to deal with now without us making it worse by running him (or her) down in a public forum.

I just feel sorry for the driver, family. Their beautiful rig, which looks pretty new, is now badly damaged. It may well never be the same again or be worth fixing. Their trip ruined. Not to mention how embarrassing and stressful this was for them.

Before we run down the driver for making this mistake (however it happened)....Think of how easily any one of us could have made a similar mistake like this, and how you'd feel about people talking about you on a public forum like some on here are. Not a one of us are perfect, even though we seem to sometimes think we are.

Just be thankful you've been fortunate enough to not make such a mistake and have your rig tore up like this!
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
No I to was in Military and My training was tester asked if we drove a stick raise you hands. If you did come out see if you can drive that was it you either did or didn't most did like myself. Sorry Viet Nam Vet. But now saying once people get the paper to drive they lose there mind and drive the way they want.... Yep test goes out the door means nothing look truckers have cdls most drive great then some loose there minds test mean nothing ....
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
I wonder how many of the folks here clamoring for mandatory training and licensing actually had said training themselves? Some, Im sure, but I bet not all. Of course when they were learning, things were different.

And the bit about getting an attorney? Please... Im guessing you have one on speed dial?

Its amazing all the speculation.

Mike

Well Mike, add me to the list of those trained. Would Military training to drive a wrecker with truck and trailer in tow qualify? Over 70 ft. long.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
As many times as I have entered and exited fueling stations, I had my first oh sh!t incident last trip. The station was tight, so we creeped out looking carefully at the rear and front wheels, but we didnnt notice we got too close to an awning hanging low off the side of the building and hit it with the front windshield. Even though the awning didn’t extend past the curb, there was just enough moho overhang on the passenger top to extend over the curb even though the tire never hit the curb.

Lesson learned was to go even slower and watch the top as well as the bottom when entering and exiting. The service station could have had a low overhang warning since it was considerably lower than the 16 foot roof/awning over the pumps, but still it was my fault for not being careful enough.

I don’t think any additional training on driving an RV would’ve prevented my incident. I’m thinking that I will only frequent Pilots and Loves from here on since there is generally better ingress and egress for gassers to access the pumps.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder how many of the folks here clamoring for mandatory training and licensing actually had said training themselves? Some, Im sure, but I bet not all. Of course when they were learning, things were different.

And the bit about getting an attorney? Please... Im guessing you have one on speed dial?

Its amazing all the speculation.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Check the video! At some point early on, the tow truck guy stated that the axle was out of position but they could probably loosen the shackle and move it back into position to "make it towable" (His words) Which I took to mean towable from the front. Somewhere along the way this plan was abandoned and they were "forced" to tow from the rear. Without knowing what actually happened to that plan, we should refrain from criticizing the tow driver. It would have been a tough job to move the axle back into position for front towing, and maybe impossible in this circumstance. Give the guy a break. He's the on site expert and has to make difficult decisions on the spot without our benefit of 20-20 hind sight.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Bert Ackerman wrote:
wallynm wrote:
The driver must have been deaf or on the phone to do that much damage without hearing of feeling it and stopping sooner.

Or the fact that some people are simply morons. Maybe the driver was. My brother in law is one. He can break anything or wreck anything. If he wants to borrow a tool or piece of equipment I know I'll be fixing it, sharpening it, or replacing it when returned. He wrote the encyclopedia on cutting dirt and rocks with chainsaws.

A friend of mine who was an auto tech for +30 years had this sign posted in his garage, . . . . . . in big bold letters:

"NO TOOLS LOANED, PLEASE DON'T ASK"

He was VERY particular about his tools. He was more than happy to help most people with just about anything. But, . . . . . just DON'T touch his tools.

Chum lee

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
wallynm wrote:
The driver must have been deaf or on the phone to do that much damage without hearing of feeling it and stopping sooner.

Or the fact that some people are simply morons. Maybe the driver was. My brother in law is one. He can break anything or wreck anything. If he wants to borrow a tool or piece of equipment I know I'll be fixing it, sharpening it, or replacing it when returned. He wrote the encyclopedia on cutting dirt and rocks with chainsaws.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Sometime stuff just happens. This might have been a momentary lapse in memory of which vehicle he was driving. Luckily it looks like no one was injured, which is the main thing.
I remember at one station where I was filling up and the RV next to me was pulling out to exit after he had filled his tank. He did not exit straight out of his position and caught his rear overhang on the island guard. It ripped his rear cap right off and left it dangling before he stopped. This was a diesel pusher and I guess the damages amounted to $20,000 plus, not to mention the horror of having to listen to his DW about everything he did wrong and how this ruined the trip, gave her "age" lines, etc. I'm sure this guy's significant other will remind him of this incident for decades to come.

silly assessment in your state all would need to do it and horns need to be disconnected
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My family has been in the towing business for 60+ years. As far as the tow went the tow truck was to small for the job but he done fine winching it away from the pumps. Even though I suspect he was fine picking it up by the hitch since that was the only thing he could do with that equipment. If he would have had the correct equipment he could have reached clear under and lifted it by the rear axel even though it was out of position, the axel was still attached to the springs but had moved. Would still have been an awkward tow that way. So considering his equipment I think he did the best he could. That business at that mud hole storage lot knocking off the mirror etc left something to be desired.
Owner of motor home didn't seem to be much concerned though.

Mommalu
Explorer
Explorer
I used to train school bus drivers, the biggest challenge I had was getting drivers to understand the need to use their mirrors. One CANNOT be a good driver if you fail to use your mirrors, especially with an oversized vehicle. Mirrors are the only way to know where your rear wheels are to curbs, tree branches, signs etc. Its a very hard thing to teach, people rarely check their mirrors and yet its the only way to be confident of where the vehicle truly is.
I'd tell my trainees "your a bobble head checking those mirrors right and left every minute." you can not pass the CDL test if its not done.
Create the habit of checking mirrors every minute or two and more frequently with turns and backing. Mirrors tell the real story, be wise and use them or pay someone to repair the damage of not being aware.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Lifting that Class A MH up like that from the rear end? (extending the effective wheelbase by 10-11 feet then adding about 14,000 lbs. of REVERSE tongue weight) If the frame wasn't bent as a result of hitting the bollard, it probably is now. Ford does use highly ductile steel in their truck frames but this will be a good test to see just HOW good it is.

To be fair though, considering the damage and under the circumstances, I don't know what else the tow truck driver could have done to get the MH out of the fuel island in a timely manner.

The MH driver must have been really moving through that (really tight) fuel island to do that much damage. It didn't look like the bollard even budged.

Chum lee

Bruce_Brown
^^^ Yes and no. Accident? Not really. Incident? I'd go with that one.

An accident is many times caused by external forces beyond our control. An incident is normally something we bring on ourselves, normally caused by poor judgement.

I hunt; in todays hunters safety training they stress they are no longer called "hunting accidents", they're called "hunting incidents". I agree with their language.

That clearly will not buff out. Bummer.

The way the axle is twisted I'm thinking they'll be shopping for a new one vs repairing that one.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910