Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Boycott “No Campfires”
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Boycott “No Campfires”

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Airdaile wrote:

Here's what I'll admit. There's a long history in this country that went from things people whining about to things banned. At some point, someone needs to say "Enough!". CAMP fires people; CAMP fires.

Rich people ruin everything.
Being rich isn't that bad, you should try it sometime.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I think of the normal stove as a "open flame". But I stand under the issue with hot coals.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Airdaile wrote:

Here's what I'll admit. There's a long history in this country that went from things people whining about to things banned. At some point, someone needs to say "Enough!". CAMP fires people; CAMP fires.

Rich people ruin everything.
Being rich isn't that bad, you should try it sometime.
[emoticon]

* This post was edited 10/13/19 12:26pm by colliehauler *

dave_smith

Portland, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yolue wrote:

It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous.

We stayed at an Oregon State Park last summer & were informed propane fires were not allowed due to fire danger. I questioned the host about how many times a propane fire has sparked a wildfire & he finally admitted "we're afraid other campers may see your fire and assume it's ok to have their own wood fire". Another example of dumbing down everything to suit the lowest common denominator!

Regards,
Dave & Kristi Smith
----------------------
2013 Arctic Fox 29-5K FW
2011 Ford F350 Lariat
Visit our RV site!

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

pnichols wrote:

Yolue wrote:

We RVers need to Boycott places that don’t allow a special part of the camping experience...”campfires”. It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous.

We carry in our RV a variety of equipment and supplies for a campfire and it’s so disappointing to not be able to use them and enjoy that experience.

I own a small RV park and when we are in a burning ban I have had people cancel their reservation...”Really, we can’t have a campfire?...we will book another time”

I will not book anymore places that don’t allow a campfire.

We carry along a propane firepit and an extra 20 lb. propane tank to power it in order to solve the "no campfires" problem! No fire ring to clean out or messing with firewood is required.

The flame is adjustable and comes up through the bricks in the firepit to look just like a the real thing. It puts out heat just like the real thing, cooks S'mores and hot dogs, emits no odors to bother other campers, and you just turn a knob to shut it down when going to bed.

It works like a champ for providing carefree campfires everywhere.

Can't make stick biscuits on one. got to have a real fire.

I"ll bet we could make em' on this propane firepit - which is just like ours. We get dancing yellow flames, glowing red/orange hot lava rocks covering the bottom to bake/cook stuff over, warmth bathing our skin, etc. - all without the downsides of a legal or illegal messy wood fire:
https://www.amazon.com/Outland-Firebowl-........door/dp/B00FWKVGQ0/?tag=morningchores-20

Don't know how you make your stick biscuits. But we push the fire to one side, and just use the coals. can you push your fire to one side? And baking potatoes. We bury them UNDER the fire in the coals and cover them with the fire.

If your propane fire can do that. Great. the one our friends have won't.

And truth be told. As a former Boy Scout Master. I feel guilty just starting a fire with fire starters. Just seems like cheating somehow. We gave the boys 2 stick matches, a knife and 3 pieces of wood. And told them to start a fire. No we didn't make them rub sticks together.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Not one person commented on my idea of having a communal bonfire instead of 40 or 50 small fire's that makes the campground into a smokey haze.

Sign of the times no compromising, don't get your way through a tantrum and demand others cave in to your wishes.

Maggie Valley NC doesn't allow campfires on site. but do allow a communal fire at each CG. We stayed at one, and had the communal fire. Not really much fun. Circle way to large, and you couldn't really sit close enough to feel the warm.

we found it better to just stay in CGs that allow fires, and avoid the ones that don't. really easy thing to do. all you got to do is ask when you are making the reservations. They will tell you if you can or not. there was a CG in Charleston SC, we were making a res at, ask about a fire, they said no, we thanked them and moved on to the next CG. Really easy.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I do have to admit that campfires mean so little to me that I've never even considered asking if they don't allow fires. But to each their own.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not one person commented on my idea of having a communal bonfire instead of 40 or 50 small fire's that makes the campground into a smokey haze.

Sign of the times no compromising, don't get your way through a tantrum and demand others cave in to your wishes.

Big leap of faith there on the "no compromise". The only one throwing a tantrum was the OP. That's not a compromise really. There will still be smoke as this would be a much larger fire. And if people don't want to "compromise" IMHO it's because they want to sit around the campfire with their own peeps, not a bunch of strangers. That's not compromise-it's losing out.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That wasn't the OP who said that.

Mea culpa. Time for new glasses! [emoticon]

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Well, I do have to admit that campfires mean so little to me that I've never even considered asking if they don't allow fires. But to each their own.

Asking about things that are important to you is the best way to insure a good camping experience. So we do. some may want to ask about the bathouses, we do that as well. Some may want to ask about the pool. Pools don't really interest us, but they do some. Some ask about the camp store, or if there is a laundry. Or where the nearest grocery store is.

The only way to insure you get what you are looking for. Is to ask.

BTW. We also ask about street lights in the CG. We don't want any. Or as few as possible. Can't see the stars if there is a lot of light pollution.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Boycott “No Campfires”
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.