Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Boycott “No Campfires”
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Boycott “No Campfires”

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, completely off topic (maybe, because I didn't read every post here), but IF you have a campfire at ANY campground, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not burn your paper plates and plastic cups. I really like the smell of good campfire smoke. But adding trash to the fire... well, it's not a campfire any more, its a trash fire, and they smell awful. Not to mention, any plastics that is tossed in the fire will still be in the ash for the next person who makes a fire there.

One more thing? And I saw this just this last weekend.... why, oh why, oh why do smokers throw their cigarrette butts into campfire rings? Why? And as the case I saw this last week-end, it wasn't even the ring at the guys campsite. He tossed it into a fire ring that had no camper on it! If he could have walked over to the next campsite to toss a cigarette butt, he could have very easily put it in his own trash can! Cigarette butts re nasty, they do not burn, and someone eventually has to dig them out! Don't get me started when they are all over the ground at the campsite I just pulled into!

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JusBud wrote:

Kids can't play with ignited branches?

Not if you live in a part of the country that regularly experiences dry periods where everything is reduced to "tinder". Remarkably, even Florida has burn bans and frequent wildfires.

JusBud

Right Here

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

JusBud wrote:

Not if you live in a part of the country that regularly experiences dry periods where everything is reduced to "tinder". Remarkably, even Florida has burn bans and frequent wildfires.

Ya I get that. Should have put in a disclaimer about certain areas lol.
But that would also go with the 2nd part of my comment,
what about people smoking, in certain areas?

As Dutchman was saying the butts are everywhere.
We were visiting our daughter in san diego and they have gas fire pits by the ocean. "no cooking". Well we made smores. Lady makes a comment as she's smoking and there are cigar and cigarette butts in the fire and on the ground.

All I'm saying is if you're going to stop kids from playing with fire then you have to stop adults from smoking. I don't like that smell just like some don't like campfire smell

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's the funny thing - some guy, out of millions of humans who use a business that provides a place to camp, gets miffed because he can't use his propane fire kit, have an open flame, etc., googles, finds RV.net, creates a new profile, and then announces a camp ground boycott.

If everyone on RV.net - not just the posters on his thread who may agree with him, joined him in his so called boycott and stopped going to camp grounds that ban open flames, the net effect on campgrounds would be a number way less than ZERO.

Trying to organize a boycott for something camping related on a forum about camping is nothing but stupid. Camp where the rules are to your liking. Kind of reminds me of the don't buy gas on Tuesday boycott. If I need gas on Tuesday, I'm going to buy gas.

But gee, if they did work than that would be in my favor because I'd no longer have to plan my trips months in advance because I can't find an open spot.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JusBud wrote:

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Deb and Ed M wrote:

westernrvparkowner wrote:

"No open flames" is our policy and it works for us.

I'm just curious, not trying to start arguments - why did you arrive at this policy? Are you in a heavily wooded area?
Not heavily wooded, but we do have some trees around.
Montana law holds that the total liability for a forest fire will rest with the person or entity that started the fire. A forest fire can cost millions of dollars to extinguish. Plus a forest fire doesn't have to start in the middle of a dense forest, they often begin in clearings and we have areas where there are adjacent hillsides and bluffs with range grass that is tinder dry in the heat of the summer.
But is really came down to in park experiences. Replace enough scorched and melted picnic tables and have a trash bin area catch on fire due to people dumping hot coals into a plastic trash barrel you start to think about changing things. Then you have a group of people with a propane pit allowing their children to ignite branches they have broken off the nearby trees. They then proceeded to allow them to dance around waving them as if they were Fourth of July Sparklers with embers flying everywhere. That is the time for a policy that puts an end to all the nonsense. We went full on no open flames because we didn't want to argue about what is acceptable and what is not. There are surely people who make other reservations due to that policy, but there plenty of people who either accept it grudgingly, don't care one way or the other (vast majority, I believe) or welcome it with open arms. It's been 10+ years and we haven't gone out of business yet.

I guess I can understand that in today's society but that was part of growing up and enjoying a campfire.
I don't remember any of us burning down the village because of it.
Do you ban people from smoking too?
And not because they might be on fire
We absolutely ban smoking in many areas. No smoking in any building or within 20 feet of those buildings. No smoking in the cabins. No smoking in the recreation areas (mini golf, sports court etc.). No smoking in the pet park.
There are many things we did when growing up that were enjoyable that are not appropriate to do everywhere. Playing with burning branches is fine some places, a recipe for disaster elsewhere. If common sense was common we wouldn't need a lot of the rules that are in place. But a large portion of the population doesn't have situational awareness and have never been acquainted with common sensibilities. Hence rules.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dave_smith wrote:

Yolue wrote:

It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous.

We stayed at an Oregon State Park last summer & were informed propane fires were not allowed due to fire danger. I questioned the host about how many times a propane fire has sparked a wildfire & he finally admitted "we're afraid other campers may see your fire and assume it's ok to have their own wood fire". Another example of dumbing down everything to suit the lowest common denominator!

Did both of you miss the post by Westernrvparkowner, no open flames ,children lighting branches ,sticks whatever ???? Waving them around. Thats enough right there, does that not make sense to you . Really need to understand the issue, its far from ridiculous.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have always had a saying about RV parks, "Their campground their rules" "my money my choice". If I find a campground not to my liking I simply don't stay there. I do not try to change the campground to the way I want it.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

dave_smith wrote:

Yolue wrote:

It’s bad enough that so many places don’t allow wood fires but not allowing propane campfires is beyond ridiculous.

We stayed at an Oregon State Park last summer & were informed propane fires were not allowed due to fire danger. I questioned the host about how many times a propane fire has sparked a wildfire & he finally admitted "we're afraid other campers may see your fire and assume it's ok to have their own wood fire". Another example of dumbing down everything to suit the lowest common denominator!

Did both of you miss the post by Westernrvparkowner, no open flames ,children lighting branches ,sticks whatever ???? Waving them around. Thats enough right there, does that not make sense to you . Really need to understand the issue, its far from ridiculous.
Well, there cannot be a better authority on causes of forest fires than a random camp host at a random RV park. The vast majority of wildfires are caused accidentally which means the person starting the fire didn't intend for it to happen. While a propane fire pit is surely less likely to start a fire it could happen. What if someone stumbled and tipped it over? What if the people were just brain dead and placed it is an area with tall grass or low branches? One mistake can be extremely costly.

am1958

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

I have always had a saying about RV parks, "Their campground their rules" "my money my choice". If I find a campground not to my liking I simply don't stay there. I do not try to change the campground to the way I want it.

Hence California, Illinois, New York, Maryland and a few others don't see my money because of several ridiculous things they do.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did not read every post here, so this may have been covered, but at least here in CO, and surrounding states, the fire bans aren't put in place by the campgrounds themselves. It's an area wide thing. This time of year is the worst because usually there hasn't been a lot of precipitation, but vegetation is drying out, lots of dry leaves etc.

Many of the larger forest fires here in recent years were man-caused... campfires not put out properly, or people firing tracer rounds during a no-burn day. Just a few wayward coals or sparks can cause millions of dollars in damage. So, yeah, sorry you can't have your campfire, but would you rather not have a place to visit because it all burned down due to a wildfire?

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Boycott “No Campfires”
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS